“Not as Good as Remembered”
Review of Packrat Louie - CLOSED

Packrat Louie
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Strathcona
Cross street: 104 Street
Transit: One block south on Whyte avenue.
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Couple ate lunch here recently after a day at the market. We have both eaten here many times in the past and have always been pleased with the food and service. Sadly not so this time.

Server was outstanding. Friendly, attentive, funny and helpful. Everything you would expect and then a bit more.

Food however was hit and miss. We had the risotto and a pizza. Risotto was good. Perfectly cooked and shrimp were plump and juicy. The topping of crème fraiche was not required and actually detracted from the overall taste of the dish. Simple is best with risotto.

When you have a great pizza oven use it to make great pizza! Pizzas are now made in a pan and so you lose all the flavor of the oven and the crust gets this deep dish fried outside to it instead of the wonderful char that is the hallmark of a good Italian pizza. Some may like it this way and that's fine, but with an oven like that it's just a waste. As another reviewer mentions the crust had an odd texture and taste to it as well. Topping were tasty though.

Overall it's taken a step back and that's disappointing.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

My fiance and I have been here a few times now. We always have great service and spectacular meals! We would and have recommend this establishment to other couples.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

I have eaten at Packrat Louie many times over the years. It had been a while but I went for lunch today. On the positive side the service was excellent, friendly and attentive.

There is a new menu and I must say that I struggled with it, not much grabbed me. We tried a few things: Saku Tuna Poke, Duck Wings, and the Chicken Masala Perogies. I enjoyed them all but none of them were great.

I followed the appetizers with the Tomato Pearl Salad, it was very good.

I used to really enjoy coming here but overall I was underwhelmed, not disappointed, but underwhelmed.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

If you liked the old menu at Packrat Louie you may be quite disappointed with the new one.
There are still pizzas on the menu, but the crust on the one we had was really strange. It had an odd taste, almost like a hint of biscuit dough in the crust. It was also very firm and didn't have that taste or texture that 00 flour gives. Very disappointing for a restaurant that has a proper pizza oven.
The size of the lamb rib small plate was really small and the taste was OK, but nothing special. Based on the menu description your taste buds are expecting more.
The summer salad arrived with sad looking strawberries and no detectable goat cheese in the dressing. That made the the dressing very unbalanced and I didn't enjoy the salad at all.
The pork chop was fine, and they have a good wine list.

Service was prompt and friendly, but I found it very strange that the wait staff told us their recommendations when they brought the menus, with out us even asking for them. That makes me feel strange when I order different items from the menu. Why have a long menu if only 3 things are good on it?

2  Thank travelabit
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I'm not sure why but it has been awhile since we have dined at Packrat Louis. The evening was great, starting with a professional server. She knew the menu well, alerted us to items not available before we considered them, and was there when we needed her. The food as always was wonderful, well balanced with the spicing and interesting to eat. We can very comfortable recommend Packrat Louis!