“New Chef, New menu, not an improvement”
Review of Packrat Louie - CLOSED

Packrat Louie
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Strathcona
Cross street: 104 Street
Transit: One block south on Whyte avenue.
Reviewed 9 September 2017

If you liked the old menu at Packrat Louie you may be quite disappointed with the new one.
There are still pizzas on the menu, but the crust on the one we had was really strange. It had an odd taste, almost like a hint of biscuit dough in the crust. It was also very firm and didn't have that taste or texture that 00 flour gives. Very disappointing for a restaurant that has a proper pizza oven.
The size of the lamb rib small plate was really small and the taste was OK, but nothing special. Based on the menu description your taste buds are expecting more.
The summer salad arrived with sad looking strawberries and no detectable goat cheese in the dressing. That made the the dressing very unbalanced and I didn't enjoy the salad at all.
The pork chop was fine, and they have a good wine list.

Service was prompt and friendly, but I found it very strange that the wait staff told us their recommendations when they brought the menus, with out us even asking for them. That makes me feel strange when I order different items from the menu. Why have a long menu if only 3 things are good on it?

2  Thank travelabit

Reviewed 16 August 2017

I'm not sure why but it has been awhile since we have dined at Packrat Louis. The evening was great, starting with a professional server. She knew the menu well, alerted us to items not available before we considered them, and was there when we needed her. The food as always was wonderful, well balanced with the spicing and interesting to eat. We can very comfortable recommend Packrat Louis!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

I've been here once before for pizza, but hadn't been back for years. No particular reason, it just wasn't on my mind. But my boyfriend and I went here recently, and sat out on the patio and had a lemon pizza and some water and san pelligrino. Service was great and the atmosphere was nice. It was also affordable. I think we'll be going back.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We had a nice discovery. Tasted some specials on the seafood side as well as pizza. All very tasty and done to perfection. The atmosphere is really nice. Recommended.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I've been going to packrat Louie for years. It has previously been a great consistent restaurant ... great food, service and location. However ... no longer

I went a month ago and it was awful. I thought maybe it was an " off night " and went again. Terrible. The summer salad had strawberries that I would have thrown out and the lettuce was rusted/ wilted. The pizza , normally a highlight , was disgusting. I couldn't cut thru the lamb or the Brussels sprouts ... it was my knife. So dull ... actually all the knives at our table were dull . The dessert , a peach parfait was inedible.

There are so many good restaurants in edmonton. I do not think packrat Louie will be around much longer

1  Thank SimoneCanada