“Great food and great ambience ”
Review of Packrat Louie - CLOSED

Packrat Louie
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Strathcona
Cross street: 104 Street
Transit: One block south on Whyte avenue.
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We had a nice discovery. Tasted some specials on the seafood side as well as pizza. All very tasty and done to perfection. The atmosphere is really nice. Recommended.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I've been going to packrat Louie for years. It has previously been a great consistent restaurant ... great food, service and location. However ... no longer

I went a month ago and it was awful. I thought maybe it was an " off night " and went again. Terrible. The summer salad had strawberries that I would have thrown out and the lettuce was rusted/ wilted. The pizza , normally a highlight , was disgusting. I couldn't cut thru the lamb or the Brussels sprouts ... it was my knife. So dull ... actually all the knives at our table were dull . The dessert , a peach parfait was inedible.

There are so many good restaurants in edmonton. I do not think packrat Louie will be around much longer

1  Thank SimoneCanada
Reviewed 10 July 2017

At a recent lunch with two old friends, we all had pizza and a bottle of red. Service was excellent: the young server treated us with respect and was very helpful. The pizzas were delicious (try the lemon one). Atmosphere was relaxed and comfortable. We understand that a new outdoor patio is in the works!

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Went for a night out with 2 couples. The new menu seemed very promising and we enjoyed the small plates. For my entree, I had the ribeye and there was a fair bit about it that I didn't care for. 1) it was overseasoned. I love salty meat and this was too salty for my liking 2) they said the chef likes it medium rare but it was well beyond that 3) the steak was already cut into slices when I got it (who does that?!?) and so it was very dry.
Service was mediocre at best. The waitress never came around except when we called her over.
At the end of this unimpressive experience the tip options were 18%, 20% and 25%. When you're talking about $100 a person I don't know who pays 25%. I'm certainly not cheap but this tip inflation is getting out of hand. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH A 15%. Especially on a $400 tab. To ask for more, especially with mediocre service takes a special kind of arrogance and presumptuousness.
I sincerely hope they improve for their 'grand opening'. I do want them to succeed but this isn't the recipe to do so.

1  Thank Montos2
Reviewed 18 June 2017

The restaurant just reopen after a total face lift of dining room and lounge. They have a new head chef that has redone the menu. We booked a table for 4 this evening and everyone was impressed with the updated decor and ambients. From start to finish the serving staff were exceptional. The hostess that greeted and sat us was very friendly. Our Waiter Brian ( with and i) was great. He was very professional but also has a great sense of humour. The manager Charlotte stop by to see if everything was okay. Even the owner Jodh came by to see if we were enjoying our evening. Everyone was very friendly but not enough intrusive. We ordered a bottle of Oyster bay and our guests ordered a glass of the red wine and an Alley Kat beer. My wife had the summer salad , I had the tuna poke to start. Both were very tasty . For our main meals, one ordered Giordino pizza, 2 had the special of the night, sword fish and the 4th had the tenderloin steak. Everyone loved their meals. We ended the evening on their patio having specialty coffees, enjoying the site and sounds, only Whyte ave Old Stratcona can offer. We all agreed that we would be back again soon.