“Not bad but there is better in Edmonton” 3 of 5 bubbles

Kyoto
Ranked #933 of 2,365 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Edmonton, Canada
“Not bad but there is better in Edmonton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

Went with a couple friends for dinner on a Sunday night. It wasn't busy when we first got there but it took the waitress about 10 minutes to bring an extra glass that we had requested and 15 minutes to come back and tell me they couldn't make the drink I ordered. That's fine that they couldn't make it but knowing sooner would have been nice. At this time there was only about 2 other tables with people at them. The food was decent. I felt the chicken and beef I order could have been a little bit hotter when it arrived. Two of my friends shared a sushi boat, which they said it was good, but they fell apart as soon as they would grab them. I'd much prefer going to Shogun, which is just down the road or Japanese Village, which is also downtown and not far.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Scottsdale, Arizona
“It's not a Japanese restaurant, it's a Canadian restaurant having Japanese food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

The menu is Japanese, but the experience is not. The service is typical of Alberta - perfunctory and minimal. Perhaps the staff are descendants of Asian people, but the traditions are not Japanese. The waitress visits for three brief moments: to take an order, drop off the food, then toss the check. There is no sense of order or sequence in courses - if you order three things, they might all come at once, or might not. I expect if I order sunomono, saba shioyaki, then chirashi sushi, they will come out in that order and the next won't arrive until the current is finished. Nah: "here you go", scurry, scurry.

The food is average. The clientele is young people out for drinks and a couple of rolls.

Although some reviews mention the tatami rooms, actually you sit on a bench Western style with your feet under a low table. I can't sit for long Japanese style, so this it not a criticism, it's just a clarification.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
“Unique, fresh, delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I visited Kyoto on a business trip. We sat in one of those special rooms where you need to take off your shoes.

The waitress was great, explained everything, took care of all substitutions we wanted, and food was brought quickly.

The maki and sashimi was very fresh, and tasted amazing. I recommend the Gyu maki and the Mexican rolls. Would definitely return.

Manchester
“Lovely Japanese setting for delicious Japanese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

Great Japanese restaurant offering all kinds of Japanese delicacies. The waitresses shuffle along the tatami mats in full kimonos whilst sushi chefs ply their trade on the other side of the counter (full of creatures from the deep). The staff were all very friendly and the menu was easy to understand with lots of choices (bento boxes, sushi, tempura, the works). I was tempted by the more exotic choices like tako (octopus) and unagi (eel) which were delicious. After three courses, it wasn’t as expensive as I thought considering how expensive Japanese restaurants can be.

• Visited July 2011
Canada
“Unsanitary chef!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

I went to the Kyoto on 109 Street and the chef sneezed (she covered her mouth with her hand) and then continued making food! I was disgusted and told the server I wanted my money back and why. The server looked horrified, promptly returned my money, and went to get the manager. The manager came and thanked me for my concern and said that she would talk to the chef. Who knows if she did, but it's too late for me; I will never go back.

Visited March 2011