“Our horrible experience in Cafe Europa”
Review of Cafe Europa - CLOSED

Cuisines: Canadian
Neighbourhood: Summerlea
Neighbourhood: Summerlea
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I went to Café Europa branch in West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton On Saturday, September 25th 2010 at 5:15 pm with my friends to celebrate a special occasion. I am sorry to tell you that we had an unpleasant experience. The service was horrible. Here is some of what happened:

1- The waiter who served us did not have a name tag. When I asked him about his name, he said it is George. Eventually, I discovered that his name is “Rafaat”. That is to say, he used a fake identity, which is totally unacceptable by Canadian Laws.

2- When Rafaat came to take the order, three of my friends ordered drinks, and the rest did not want to have any drinks with the food. Rafaat sarcastically said, “That is it?”

3- One of my friends ordered a dish, and when my friend asked Rafaat whether that food is ready yet, Rafaat rudely replied that we do not prepare food here in the microwave.

4- Rafaat spilled coke on the table without uttering a simple apology. We asked him to wipe the spilled coke out; he angrily said that he does not have a towel with him and that he has to go to fetch one.

5- I was really annoyed with his unrespectful attitude. I told him that I want to speak with his manager; he said that the manager is not here. I told him that I am not satisfied with the service he offers. He said maybe this is your own opinion, and he tried to embarrass me by asking my friends if they are satisfied. None of us were satisfied with the service at all.

6- One of managers came, her name is Jennifer, and we told her that we need Rafaat to be replaced as he has an unrespecful attitude; she apologized and said that she cannot make such a decision.

7- We finished our food, and we waited for 10 minutes for anyone to come to take the empty plates. One of my friends called Rafaat to come to remove empty plates, but Rafaat said no.

8- We went to get another lady to remove the empty plates; I think her name was Karen. She came and eventually empty plates were removed.

9- Then, we waited again for 15 minutes for anyone to come to bring coffee. I went to Karen to ask her to bring us coffee. She said, “I am not your waitress. Rafaat should serve you. That is not my job.” I told her to get me the manager. I told her that I am not going to pay the bill until I talk to a manager. Jennifer came again and she did not properly apologized for the bad service that we got. She said that we do not have to pay for our bill. I told her that I want to make sure that this is not going to happen again with any of the customers.

I am really pessed off. The evening was ruined. Now, I am thinking about not going again to Café Europa although the food was great and I used to like the place. I want to make sure that Rafaat is not going to do the same with any of the other customers. I am really sorry to tell you that I am not going to go your restaurant again. I need you to send me an apology letter as I was treated unrespectfully and the celebration was ruined.

Ahmed Awad

M.D., M.Sc - Research Assistant

Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine,

University of Alberta, Edmonton , Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada

1  Thank hefny3

Reviewed 27 April 2010

Went for lunch, the pizza that i had was not so great. it had this really strong cheese that tasted like goat cheese, no warning on the food description in the menu. A tad overpriced as well. Disappointed, although the service was excellent. it was a kindly older gentleman who served us. i liked this restaurant much better when they had the booths in the back, before the space got taken over by a Bed, bath and Beyond.

Reviewed 17 January 2009

Inconsistent. My Mom likes it.

Reviewed 28 December 2008

Prices are way too high, the food tastes like a pigwash, only positive thing about this cafe - servers are nice and friendly. I'll never come back there again.

Reviewed 29 August 2008

We enjoyed the meal. There was a nice selection. the price was expensive. The dinner promised breakfast selection however pancakes and french toast were cold by now. It was good for the most part.