“Wonderful”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 19 October 2017

We stopped by because our hotel was very close and the reviews. This was not a disappointing meal. I had grilled vegetables and my husband had the tuna-it was unbelievable. Next time we are in Edmonton we will definitely be back!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We had dinner and loved the atmosphere, the food and the service.
Very enjoyable and interesting menu.
Prices were reasonable and portions were generous.
I wouldn't blink to return her for a meal

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

The service at Sofra's is lovely, the staff and owner, who is always in the kitchen, will make you feel at home.
If you've ever had the luxury of experiencing Turkish cuisine, or want to try something new, Sofra's in Edmonton is a delight you'll want to experience. Try the hummus (and as a hummus connesiour I thought I had tried it all, but Sophra's hummus is more delicious than any other I have tried), the Kale Mantar is a great vegetarian option for those who love eggplant, Portobello mushroom, tomato and bulghur pilaf (I'm salivating just thinking about it), and the Odrdek Kremali Makarna is a mouth-watering Turkish take on carbonara, which is topped with duck and will give an Italian carbonara a run for it's money. Sophra's is known for its delicious rack of lamb and will not disappoint. If you're in Edmonton and are looking for a warm environment and delicious cuisine, Sophra's is your spot!

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I called to make a reservation for one travelling on business and the gal said no worries I will save you a seat at the bar!! Walked in and was seated immediately as if they knew me!! I asked for suggestions as was told by a friend to get the "shared platter" but it was huge and I wanted the steak he bragged about. The server suggested several but I opted for the stuffed pepperoni w/ seasoned goat cheese and figs. This was like nothing I've ever tasted on top of sliced fresh tomatoes with a dollop of what I think was pureed eggplant. Amazing!!! I followed this w/ the 10oz tenderloin grilled to perfection accompanied by a lightly sweetly dressed field green salad and what and a rice side which was similar to a spanish rice w/ tomato base w/ onions and peppers?? Excellent and I couldn't finish even 1/2 of it. I almost forgot to mention the hand rolled fresh Pita bread cooked to order in a pizza oven drizzled with olive oil & sesame seeds. Good but limited wine selection. so Wente Chardonnay to start and a glass of an excellent Sangiovese which was richer & more full bodied than most I just encountered in Chianti last month!!! Excellent service and fun environment. I honestly don't know how those big dudes put out such amazing food from such a small open galley!!?? Keep It up and see you in a few weeks on my next trip..

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

The decor was simple, yet tasteful. The Nazar imbedded in the middle of the tables, was a nice subtle touch which reminded us of our travels to Turkey. It was also the only reminder of Turkey that we saw.

The appetizers were very much a taste of Turkish cuisine, and highly recommend the pastrami stuffed with goat cheese and dates, as well as the yaprak sarma (grape leaves with rice and raisins)

For entrees, the ground beef kabob was good, but certainly didn't reflect the flavours experienced in Turkey.

The lamb kabob on the other hand was cooked to perfection and had the flavours that brought back fond memories of our travels through Turkey.

The pleasant surprise was the duck kabob, which looked and tasted as exotic as the region in which it was inspired.

The letdown of the entrees was the side salad that accompanied the dishes. It was basically greens from a bag, that you could buy at any grocery store. There were no vibrant colours, textures or flavours like we experienced in Turkey, and the greens actually diminished the plate presentation.

Overall, for Edmonton it's a great introduction to the flavours of Turkey, but it would be nice to see and experience a stronger Turkish profile in the food.

Definitely recommend this restaurant.