“Fresh!”
Review of Calle Mexico

Calle Mexico
Ranked #134 of 2,537 Restaurants in Edmonton
Reviewed 1 February 2017

I finally managed to get to this restaurant after reading the reviews for some time. What a wonderful experience. The staff was wonderfully friendly. Ordering is easy and the food arrived quickly. A great family restaurant. And the food! The food was fresh and plentiful. The beer was icy cold. My family and I had the tostados, enchiladas and pork tacos. The flan and churros were delish.

1  Thank EdmontonTraveller2

Reviewed 8 December 2016 via mobile

The best fish tacos in Edmonton! My friend invited me here and we had a good old fashioned Mexican lunch.Try a horchata and the milk cake for a nice sweet treat!

Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

A friend recommended this place. We walked in and the owner greeted us and was very chatty and friendly, treated us like we were guests in his home. We had the sopes, a chicken torta and pork tacos. The bread the torta was on was amazing, so soft, you could smell how fresh it was. It's made in house the owner told me. They have a little salsa bar, you can help yourself to spice up your food. I would definitely go back.

1  Thank Maybellelovesfood
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

truly authentic Mexican food and fabulous service! Well worth the visit. Very delicious and fresh. Check out their newly expanded restaurant or their food truck in the summer

Reviewed 25 October 2016

Calle Mexico hasn't been in business for that long, but many people are finding out about it. I was told about it by a Mexican friend. It's on a gritty stretch of busy 107th Avenue, but at least it's not tucked away in a corner of a suburban strip mall like many other ethnic restaurants are (cheaper rents, I assume).
It's really small---I mean, really! Only 3 or 4 tables, plus a tiny counter-seating space. The owners have done the best they could with the decor, though---colourful Mexican posters and large photos, a TV looping Spanish-language programs and ads, and amusing ceramics (i.e., a cute one on the counter of a Mexican man lying on his back guzzling an actual bottle of Jarritos (Mexican soda pop))! The woman at the counter told me that they now own the building attached next door and are renovating, so eventually their space will double.
Their sign outside reads "Authentic Mexican Food," and it lives up to its promise. The owners have a popular food truck that's seen around town at some fairs and markets, and they decided to have a permanent location also.
There's not a great variety on the menu---which, for me, is a good thing (i.e., less confusing and time-consuming when deciding what to order). There's a selection of five types of tortas (sandwiches), including barbacoa and shredded pork. I chose two sopas (thick tortillas) at $4 each. The filling was tasty shredded chicken, and the sopas came with chopped radishes and sliced avocado. Sour cream was supposed to be on them, but they forgot, so I had to ask for it, which they gladly supplied. My friend had beef tacos, saying they were good but a bit small and so soft that they fell apart in their hands and the filling spilled out. It was the first time I'd ever had horchata (a milky rice drink flavoured with cinnamon and almonds), and found it very thirst-quenching.
A couple of negative notes. I think $10-$12 for the tortas is a bit pricey, especially when there is no small side dish included in the price. Also, $4 per sopa is high. Portions of sour cream were sparse, unfortunately. As for the guacamole: it was thin and watery, but perhaps this is a more authentic version of the stuff than the more familiar thicker guacamole everyone is used to.
Open daily except Tuesday, and they do a good business in catering and take-out orders. I'm hoping for a good future for Calle Mexico---the city needs a place like this!

1  Thank Kirk M