“Some Growing Pains”
Review of Calle Mexico

Calle Mexico
Ranked #111 of 2,540 Restaurants in Edmonton
Reviewed 25 October 2016

Calle Mexico hasn't been in business for that long, but many people are finding out about it. I was told about it by a Mexican friend. It's on a gritty stretch of busy 107th Avenue, but at least it's not tucked away in a corner of a suburban strip mall like many other ethnic restaurants are (cheaper rents, I assume).
It's really small---I mean, really! Only 3 or 4 tables, plus a tiny counter-seating space. The owners have done the best they could with the decor, though---colourful Mexican posters and large photos, a TV looping Spanish-language programs and ads, and amusing ceramics (i.e., a cute one on the counter of a Mexican man lying on his back guzzling an actual bottle of Jarritos (Mexican soda pop))! The woman at the counter told me that they now own the building attached next door and are renovating, so eventually their space will double.
Their sign outside reads "Authentic Mexican Food," and it lives up to its promise. The owners have a popular food truck that's seen around town at some fairs and markets, and they decided to have a permanent location also.
There's not a great variety on the menu---which, for me, is a good thing (i.e., less confusing and time-consuming when deciding what to order). There's a selection of five types of tortas (sandwiches), including barbacoa and shredded pork. I chose two sopas (thick tortillas) at $4 each. The filling was tasty shredded chicken, and the sopas came with chopped radishes and sliced avocado. Sour cream was supposed to be on them, but they forgot, so I had to ask for it, which they gladly supplied. My friend had beef tacos, saying they were good but a bit small and so soft that they fell apart in their hands and the filling spilled out. It was the first time I'd ever had horchata (a milky rice drink flavoured with cinnamon and almonds), and found it very thirst-quenching.
A couple of negative notes. I think $10-$12 for the tortas is a bit pricey, especially when there is no small side dish included in the price. Also, $4 per sopa is high. Portions of sour cream were sparse, unfortunately. As for the guacamole: it was thin and watery, but perhaps this is a more authentic version of the stuff than the more familiar thicker guacamole everyone is used to.
Open daily except Tuesday, and they do a good business in catering and take-out orders. I'm hoping for a good future for Calle Mexico---the city needs a place like this!

1  Thank Kirk M

Reviewed 27 August 2016

We recently visited this restaurant after seeing them on Global Edmonton. The food was excellent and the service very friendly. It was the best pork carnitas I have had. Very small but they are expanding very soon.

1  Thank beejal
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

The food was great! It was authentic and the taste was amazing. We were served by the owner who was very nice and spoke about his desire to bring authentic Mexican food to Canada. He also has a food truck that is in top notch shape and clean! Come here for real Mexican food.

1  Thank Daniel B
Reviewed 6 June 2016

I found this little place, and I mean this place is tiny. There are 3 tables and a bit of counter seating. maybe room for maybe 12-14 people max. If you are looking for atmosphere, I can only say, get take-out and eat at home. This place is basic. With a TV on the wall and some artwork it's nothing splash.

The food on the other hand is anything but basic. Actually, I take that back these folks are into making basic tacos, tostados and enchiladas. When I say "Basic", I mean basic, as in, starting from scratch and making everything fresh. I had the Tacos. The taco shells were clearly made that day. Fresh and not from any store. All the other ingredients were either cooked then or shortly before arriving. All of it very fresh. Just like what you would get if you ate at a family run place in Mexico.

When you walk in, your order from a counter, pay for it and then find a seat. There is no "table service" although the gal that took our order was quick and apologetic to clean off one of the few tables there.

There is another place in town that has as good food, but Calle Mexico is less expensive and you don't have to wait an hour to be seated.

I'm thinking this will become one of the places I eat at frequently !

1  Thank Randy S