“Stands Up”

Escoba Bistro and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Escoba Bistro and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 3,833 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: USD 23 - USD 27
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Street on 8th Ave SW
Transit: We are located 1/2 block south of the 5th ave C-Train stop.
Description: Mediterranean comfort food including lamb, prime grade beef, Atlantic salmon, pastas, and homemade flatbreads. Every dish has a suggested wine pairing from our extensive cellar. Enjoy the warmth of our charmingly rustic wood, stucco, stone and wrought iron decor. Escoba seats up to 175 for dinner with the capacity to host up to 280 for specialized cocktail and appetizer functions.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We've been following along with Escoba back when it was in the basement of Penny Lane.

Now, years later, with a changes in the Calgary landscape and new management, it still stands up.

It might be nice to see some additions to the menu, but the spring rolls and pasta dishes are tough to beat. Ultimately, it's great to see that the menu has stood up and we'll continue to return.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

I came in the other night for wine and tapas with a friend. Great spot. I really like the atmosphere and the service was excellent. We tried the crab cakes and meatballs for appetizers. The meatballs were exceptional.

I will be back for lunch or dinner one day soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

I was looking for a restaurant to enjoy a good meal near my hotel before heading to the airport and so I checked TripAdvisor and Escoba Bistro popped up.

What a lovely place!

I was here rather early (1600hrs) so I had the place to myself. I started with the S/M/L wine flight which had an interesting Malbec blend. The waiter said it contained two lesser known grapes and when I asked what, he promptly came back with the names.

I didn't come only for the wine. It was hard to choose as everything loomed great but I had the salmon, which was cooked to perfection on a bed of shrimp risotto. The accompanying carrots and green beans were just as I liked them.

For dessert, I had the cookies and cream offering. Quite rich and not quite what I was expecting it was more of a brownie with ice cream.

Would I come back? Absolutely!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We held my husband's retirement party at the Escoba this past saturday and it was a perfect venue for our 50 guests. Blair, Laurel and the rest of the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and attentive. We had a variety of wonderful, tasty hors d'oeuvres. It's now our favourite restaurant in downtown Calgary.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

This is my go to restaurant in downtown Calgary. The staff is the best, very friendly with top notch service. The wine by the glass at lunch never lets you down. Food is unbelievable. Pick anything on the menu and you will not be disappointed. One of the best.

1  Thank Derrick71