“Great food in Calgary”
Review of CLEAVER

CLEAVER
Reserve with OpenTable
CLEAVER is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #471 of 3,833 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: USD 2 - USD 14
Cuisines: European, Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 50 Seats & a Cow. Serves plates of food & bold cocktails from 4pm to late. $3 sliders, $5 wine, beer & all cocktails Sun-Thurs before 7pm & after 9pm.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Had fantastic meal with family...the whole roast chicken is well worth it and vegetable sides delicious. Cocktails also good

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Last night myself and 3 friends went to Cleaver to celebrate my birthday. I had the Birthday cocktail and then the "Slap yo mama". Everyone else enjoyed the cocktails too. Since it was after nine we took advantage of the 3$ Slider Special, and I had the Duck Slider and soft shell crab slider. The duck one was to die for. The crab one was good as well however I did not realize it was deep fried- probably wouldn't order again, but all of the other sliders were great. Also had the Oreo Toblerone cheesecake- Hands down the best cheesecake I have ever had.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

While we were dazzled by the menu and drawn in by the cool atmosphere we were unfortunately utterly disappointed by pretty much our entire dining experience. Despite making reservation days ahead we were seated at the bar instead of a table. While waiting for our drinks I was splashed in the face TWICE by the bartender washing glasses. The two other staff behind the bar noticed she was splashing and made a joke to her about it but nobody apologized to us. Drinks came, both were disappointing, but we’re still optimistic bc we came for the food. Appys came - we ordered the sliders and my first bite into the soft shell crab slider resulted in an explosive bite of scalding grease that dripped down my chin and actually burned my skin. Same bar staff were watching (which in itself was off putting bc all of the staff appeared bored and apathetic with nothing to do but stare) saw my reaction to getting burnt and only after it was too late said “they’re hot”. (Thanks for telling me now, I thought, as I was distracted by the burn for the rest of the night). Broccolini was ok and the half cock was good, as were the duck fat fries. But the entire time we were seated right by the debit machine and every couple minutes staff would lunge in for a receipt and half yell to no one in particular “Service!”- incredibly annoying. My girlfriend told our waitress it would be a good idea to warn patrons just how hot the soft shell crab sliders were bc I got scalded. She gave a perfunctory “sorry”, but no adjustment to the bill. We had planned to stay for dessert but after watching another bartender crack an egg into a cocktail then munch on some chicken skin without washing his hands before making other cocktails and serving them by the lips of the glasses we decided enough was enough. We asked for the bill and couldn’t leave soon enough. What was supposed to be a relaxed and fun romantic night out turned out to be one of the most stressful, disappointing dining experiences we’ve ever had.

5  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 10 March 2018

I was on a university exchange in Calgary for 6 months and I ate here probably every two weeks because it was absolutely amazing. The staff are very friendly, the food is incredible, the decor is great and the name is something different. The sliders are incredible, as is their brunch menu. They have the longest cocktail menu, and some of the best cocktails I've had. I miss this restaurant and wish we had something like it here in Australia!

1  Thank Lauren K
Reviewed 25 February 2018

We have been there 3 times in over 7 weeks. All the servers are so wonderful and really are thoughtful of their guests and their special occasion requests. Alex who usually is at the front greeting guests is such a wonderful delight. They have had a recent slight change to their menu, wish they bring the crab linguine back, but there is something for everyone!

Not to mention they have close to 2 pages for cocktails.