“Hey Mikey!”

My Favorite Ice Cream Shoppe
Ranked #34 of 84 Dessert in Calgary
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The original My Favorite Ice Cream Shoppe (MFICS) in Calgary’s Marda Loop district is a Calgary institution. However, I’ve never been there, despite being an ice cream fan, because the location was inconvenient . So when this new location opened much closer to home, I was keen to try it.

It’s certainly different from your run-of-the-mill Baskin Robbins or Marble Slab Creamery. They have 48 flavours of hard ice cream at the Wentworth location; I believe 2 or 3 of those are sugar-free. They also have a baby grand piano, and a pianist comes in to play every weekend. (Patrons may play but must speak to staff first.) At night, lighting is provided by old-fashioned cast iron light standards fastened upside down to the ceiling, 20-30 feet above the floor--quite the sight from outside after dark!The servers wear old-fashioned 1950’s-style soda jerk uniforms, with wedge caps.

Prices start at $3.75 for a good-sized single scoop of ice cream on a basic cone. You pay at the till at the back of the shop before you get your ice cream, so that you don’t have to juggle an ice cream cone in one hand, and a wallet or purse in the other. (I imagine that also streamlines things when it’s busy.) There is no menu board listing all the flavours; instead, you must stroll the freezer cases looking at the labels next to each tub of scoop-ready ice cream. This might be an issue if you're there at a busy time, but wasn't a problem on my visits. Frozen desserts to take home (ice cream cakes etc.) are also available in a vertical freezer by the till. I haven't tried any of them though.

How is the ice cream? I’ve tried four different flavours since they opened. The apple pie was okay. The cinnamon bun flavour was outstanding – lots of cinnamon flavour and lots of raisins. Fabulous, highly recommended. Kind of a nice variation on the traditional rum & raisin. Nanaimo bar flavour’s main feature was a few very large chunks of chocolate—no coconut, no custard flavour, no chocolaty graham wafer crumbs. (McKay’s Ice Cream in Cochrane also has a Nanaimo bar flavour, which has bits of Nanaimo bar base in it. I didn’t think it was that great, but it’s better than MFICS’s version. I’m still hoping for a better Nanaimo bar ice cream however.) Cookie dough flavour was also okay, but larger chunks of cookie dough would have made it nicer.

The real surprise was the Chocolate Lovers’ ice cream. My husband is a chocoholic. He once went to a “Death by Chocolate” dessert buffet and later complained that it was more like a “Light Wounds by Chocolate” experience. He often complains that chocolate desserts (the only kind of dessert that he likes) are not chocolaty enough. At MFICS, after he had a sundae with two scoops of Chocolate Lovers ice cream, chocolate sauce, and chocolate sprinkles, there were no complaints (aside from the lack of chocolate whipped cream). High praise indeed!

1  Thank Country_Wife