All reviewsstampede groundsb and bblack squirrelsdowntown calgarywonderful hostswalking distanceother guestsbreakfast was excellentenjoyed our stayevery morningthree nightsstay there againclean roomsgood sizehelmutenglewoodbow
Reviewed 8 October 2014

If you find a better breakfast in Calgary than this, tell the world!
An outstanding place to stay, you just know everything has been thought out and prepared properly in advance. Seems Helmut has made most of the furniture including the double bed, just shows the level of commitment Helmut and Valinda are making to this place.
We were made to feel like family being welcomed into their home. I would have happily sat chatting to them even though there was serious tourism to get on with.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: No need to be picky about a room as far as I can tell. All rooms I saw were just fine.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PETERTRIPPER
Reviewed 2 October 2014

We only spent one night her but Helmut and Valinda were very welcoming and friendly. We enjoyed staying in an older style house and neighbourhood and the walk along the river bank behind the house is lovely. The room and breakfast were excellent.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian W
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Jan and I stayed here for two nights at the very beginning of our road trip around Western Canada and Alaska and again for two nights on our return. The owners, Helmut and Valinda could not have been more helpful. The rooms were very comfortable and perfectly furnished and the breakfasts great. Valinda took the opportunity to introduce the guests to each other at breakfast, gave us advice on where to go and what to see in the local area along with free passes to some places or discount tickets if she had them. Helmut took the chance to show us some of his photos (and as a photographer I certainly enjoyed this) as well as his woodworking skills in the items in the house. When we returned from our road trip we found a note on the door welcoming us back and saying where the key was as they had to go out for a while and were unsure what time we would be back.
The property is in a great neighbourhood with some excellent bars and restaurants just a few minutes walk away and Downtown Calgary is only 15-20 mins walk away along the Elbow and Bow Rivers.
All in all a perfect place to stay in Calgary
Mike and Jan

Room Tip: We stayed in the ground floor "turret" room as well as a first floor room and both were faultless
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2014

What a stay! Helmut and Valinda were extremely welcoming. Room were very clean and breakfast was wonderful every morning. Very accommodating with certain dietary needs celiac and vegetarian! Wonderful people and a wonderful place. Fully intend on staying there again on our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
10006, Owner at Inglewood Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Hello Jed & Jan, thanks for your kind words - it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We look forward to see you again sometime. Cheers, Valinda & Helmut

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Calgary was my fifth stop of a 17-day trip round Alberta in late July. Beautiful home inside and out. When I arrived, Helmut greeted me, and my first question was how old the house was, since it was in the style of the others in what is recognized as the oldest neighborhood in Calgary. He said it was built in 1992, but was designed to blend in with other older homes on the street.

My room was spacious, bright, and spotless. Bathroom also spotlessly clean; it has a shower stall. Just one step outside my door was a fridge for storing water, soda, or food, which was very convenient. The downstairs dining room / commons area is spacious, and on the dining room table was a whiteboard with choices for the next morning's breakfast, which I appreciated. There also is a computer for guest use, and while I generally try to avoid computers while on vacation, it was handy to print out some driving directions.

Met Valinda the next morning, and she is very nice and outgoing. I don't normally feel comfortable around people I've just met, but I instantly felt comfortable around her, as I did with Helmut the previous night. She was very interested in hearing about my trip, and I enjoyed that a lot.

When I checked in on Sunday, Helmut asked me if I was planning to visit the Calgary Tower, and I said that was on my docket for Monday. He immediately pulled out a pass, and also had one ticket left for Fort Calgary, which was a mere two blocks down the street. I was stunned -- that essentially took care of a full day's worth of sightseeing and saved me some cash.

One of the reasons this was my favorite B&B of the trip was its proximity to downtown Calgary. Walk to the end of the driveway, and you can see the Calgary Tower and some of the downtown building all lit up at night. It allowed me to explore downtown without the hassle of driving, so I walked all over the place. For NHL or Calgary Stampede fans, it's about a 15-minute walk to the Saddledome and Stampede facility. There's also a nice path along the river just outside their back yard, so that was a fun place to run.

In a nutshell, I slept great all three nights, had three delicious breakfasts, and enjoyed Valinda and Helmut's very pleasant company, along with that of the other guests. The three days ended all too soon, but I certainly want to return. I can confidently and highly recommend this B&B to everyone.

One FYI: Valinda does have four cats. I'm fine with cats; in fact, having pets around made it feel a little more like home. But I also know that some folks have allergies around cats, so just be aware of that if you do plan to visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank muskrat88

Hello Mark,
Thanks for your insightful and detailed response, much appreciated - as well as having you as a guest. We look forward to welcome you again sometime in Calgary.
Kind regards, Valinda & Helmut