“Good hotel for Sports teams”

The Glenmore Inn & Convention Centre
Ranked #47 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Our volleyball team stayed at the Glenmore Inn this past weekend for a tournament at the Rally Pointe, which is a quick and easy 5 minute drive away.
They offered us a reasonable rate, which included a hot and cold breakfast. The breakfast had scrambled eggs (not microwaved), pancakes one day, and waffles the other. Bacon, sausages, fruit salad, muffins, toast, and cereals, served in their cafe.
The pool, is not huge, but has a fun, and fast water slide that the kids really enjoyed.
They have a hospitality room on the 3rd floor, which overlooks the pool for teams to use as a common space. We used it in between games to hang out, and served our team lunch there, since we were so close to our venue. It had enough banquet sized tables in it for a couple of teams at the same time.

We had requested that our players be blocked on the same floor, which they did.
They also offer a team meal for $12.50, which includes the tip and tax. It consists of a buffet style of pizza or pasta, Caesar and fruit salad, buns, cookies, and squares, and juice, pop and milk. We opted to do the pizza, and spaghetti buffet for $15 each, and there was a tonne of food, and it was Excellent! Best of all it was nice to be able to pre-plan supper for our team + families and not have to leave the hotel.
We also ate lunch in the cafe one day, and it was Excellent! The service was great, anytime we were in the cafe for breakfast, lunch and supper.

Our hotel room was updated and a good size, but the beds are pretty hard, and not very comfy.
One unfortunate part about our room was the bathroom. You could smell that this used to be a smoking room, because you could still smell the smoke coming out of the walls, especially when the shower was on- the steam would bring out the smell even more. I am really sensitive to smoke, so I could smell it. It was not enough that we needed to be moved to another room, but something for management to make note of.

As a team, we would stay here again, as our experience as a whole was very good. They definitely cater to teams, which we noticed and appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask if there are sports teams staying at the hotel while you are there, because if you are NOT with...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lifeplanner
GI-OperationsManager, Manager at The Glenmore Inn & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We value your feedback, which allows us to look at the ways we can improve. We certainly appreciate your positive comments, particularly about our staff and the efforts they took to ensure your team was well taken care of, and I'll be sure they are passed on to the team. We were sorry to hear that you did not find your bed comfortable, and that you could detect the smell of cigarette smoke in your bathroom. I am pleased to let you know that we are in the process of renovating our rooms, and that these concerns will be address. Feel free to contact me directly with your room number so we can ensure that your bathroom receives further detailing.

We hope to welcome you back again, and if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Warm regards,

Chris Bates
Operations Manager
chrisbates@glenmoreinn.com

Reviewed 16 April 2012

The hotel itself was great along with staff & service however the ac/heater in our room was less than desirable. Loud & clunky!! Beds were quite squeaky too. I would recommend to stay in newer section, in the tower.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Rizzy4
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I found the Glenmore to be very comfortable and in a great location. The main roads were just minutes away as was the train station. The room itself was large, my bed was fine, the fridge was quiet(a pet peeve is a noisy one) and had a view of Calgary. I had most dinners in the cafe and the serving staff was outstanding. The only criticism I had was the shower curtain-can't stand taking a shower with one stuck to my arm. Get the new curved rods, please. Room had a nice flat screen and plenty of storage for clothes. Spent 3 weeks on company business at the Canadian-Pacific railyard which was 5 minutes away.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower-better view from the north side. Parking lot very busy, stay on upper levels.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SuziBinSC
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My daughter and I were in Calgary for a volleyball tournament. The location of the hotel is good. Not central, but easy to get downtown or to the Deerfoot. I thought our room was spacious (two double beds) and the beds in my room were fine, but other parents said their beds were incredibly hard and the rooms very hot and stuffy. The breakfast in the little Garden Café left something to be desired, but the buffet dinner in the Garden Court was fantastic. Some of the staff were incredibly friendly and others wouldn't give you the time of day. It was really hit and miss. If you get the room at a discount, go, but otherwise, there are better options at the same price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzedanna
Reviewed 15 February 2012

As I am increasingly away from home on business, I rely more on the net to get things done. The internet at this hotel is painfully slow. the beds are so-so at best. Restaurants are OK and the staff is friendly, but beyond that I would avoid this hotel if you can.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business