“So Disappointed”

Ranked #942 of 3,734 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: USD 10 - USD 40
Cuisines: Sushi
Neighbourhood: Southwest Calgary
Description: Located in the south west Misato Sushi & Grill has been serving Calgary since 2003. At Misato, we are committed to fine Japanese cuisine. Here you will find traditional food, including: tempura, teriyaki, fresh sashimi, a large variety of original speciality sushi rolls and nigiri sushi as well. Our delectably innovative creations, are bound to satisfy even the most discerning epicures.
Reviewed 17 September 2016

My family used to love going to Misato whenever we had a hankering for Japanese food. It was one of mom's favourite places to eat. We had noticed that the service and the quality of food decline in the past year or so (whenever they changed owners), but we are loyal and continued to go back (albeit less often than before).

After quite a delay in going, we finally went back. The servers were inattentive at the beginning. My family ordered the dinner box. Historically, they have always requested all salmon and a bowl of rice, which they used to include free of charge. They informed us that they will now be charging extra for every change on the menu. That's fine, it said so on the menu. We just said that wasn't always the case at this particular restaurant as we always made the changes. The owner (I'm guessing) started lecturing us quite loudly and publicly that they always charged and never had rice with the dinner box. It was quite embarrassing when we were just inquiring about the change.

Luckily, I ordered the chirashi and the sashimi was fresh and tasty. Unfortunately for the rest of my family, they were disappointed with the "plasticy" taste of the shrimp in all the dishes (I noticed that in my chirashi as well). Their tempura looked (and apparently tasted) absolutely disgusting. I was surprised that they even served it.

Overall, it was a very disappointing experience and I hope to never experience something so humiliating again.

Reviewed 23 April 2016

We visit Misato when we are in the mood for sushi. We mostly order take away and you have to be careful that they properly pack all of your order to go. We have had several occassions when an item we paid for was not in the bag. The sashimi and sushi are fresh and taste good. When we dine in the service is iffy but the food, when it comes, is good.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

Having tried many Sushi restaurants on both of Canada's coasts, and most Calgary ones, I must agree with reviewer Johnny that there is nothing quite like the Calgary Roll! Always packed with fresh tuna cuts, salmon, real crab, rowe and an array of other goodies!
Their unique and often high end sashimi and hotfood specialsare always unique and good as well.
Nice reno about 4 years ago...There's a reason Misato has thrived in this high end neighborhood!... Never change my friends!

1  Thank Plakka
Reviewed 20 December 2015

Biggest, tastiest rolls ever. Impossible to lift with chopsticks and then eat in one bit, won't fit most mouths. Love them as left overs next day, they are the only place that the rolls are not dried out over night if you take a doggie bag home.

The tempura is good too but after the Calgary rolls there's not much room for other dishes. They can get busy and have limited supper and lunch hours so either call and have take out or reserve a table as they have limited seating. After all these years of living elsewhere, I am happy to find they've kept the standards and have not messed with success.

Reviewed 27 October 2015

I had many sushi in my life and nothing compare to the food here...I love it dinning in or take out. We mostly do take out and the service is amazing..

2  Thank Jehad A