“Great Thai food in a great city”
Review of Pad Thai

Pad Thai
Ranked #93 of 158 Restaurants in Banff
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Reviewed 22 February 2016

The owner serves you herself in this small restaurant tucked in the back of the mini-mall on Banff Ave., and she is very gracious. She apologizes for her limited menu, but we found it to be just fine with a good assortment of dishes. I had the duck curry special and was not disappointed. While the duck was a bit dry, there were plenty of slices in the sumptuous dish that went well with jasmine or coconut rice. We had the mango with sticky rice for dessert, and the fruit was just right, a hard task for fresh mango. The fresh shrimp spring rolls were also delicious. We walked away very satisfied and really enjoyed visiting with the owner.

Reviewed 11 February 2016

Had the pad thai and it was ok. It was a more watery version but had adequate taste. There was no slices of lemon or lime to squeeze on it, so they may have enhanced the flavour. I do not come to Banff to expect good thai so this is just to let others know, it is sufficient but not over the top. Two things left me less positive not the experience. 1. all my clothes ended up smelling for two days of a thai kitchen. I had not noticed at the time how strong the smell was until i got back to my hotel. Jacket, fleece and base layer reeked of that thai cooked oil pungent smell. 2 they automatically add in the gratuity to the bill

Reviewed 6 February 2016 via mobile

We went there with 4 people and had dinner at Pad thai restaurant. We had a warm greeting and big smiling from staff.we ordered 4 menue Pad thai,tomyum, basil beef and fried rice. We have got authentic thai taste. We do impresse with chef and service at this restaurant. Thank you so much

1  Thank Natthawut N
Reviewed 27 January 2016

I have eaten in Pad Thai restaurant approximately 4 or 6 times over the 4 years I have lived in Banff, and have gotten take out from there at least 3 times. I usually order Tom Yum Noodle soup to go when I am too sick to cook at home and want something hot, spicy and aromatic, I feel like a really good soup can lift your spirits when feeling ill.
The Tom Yum Soup at Pad Thai Restaurant is pretty standard, I usually order it spicy, and in good Thai food fashion, it makes me shed a few tears: a way for me to tell that 1) the soup is already affective in addressing my sickness and 2) it is in fact spicy enough for me.
I ate there today, and though I was feeling great, still wanted soup, but also wanted to have their pad thai, I felt like when I order most food “to go” it is never as good as when you eat it in the restaurant, great food, good food even, should never have to be served in Sytrofoam. I wanted to give the Pad Thai another try, as I didn’t care much for the ones I had gotten to go in the past.
Today I found the soup to be lacking the saltiness I associate with Tom Yum Soup, as if something was missing, and it was soooooooooooooo hot when it arrived that it took a few minutes for it to cool so I could really taste it. It was tasty, not exceptional, but delicate in a way that is comforting; a clean and satisfying freshness on a cold January afternoon.
I had barely touched my Tom Yum soup and my Pad Thai arrived, at this point I see my server, and a few people from the kitchen leave the restaurant. I have been given water, but not asked if I would care for anything else to drink. Nor are there chopsticks or chilli oils on the table. Which I found a bit weird because I asked for both of the items I ordered to be spicy, and the two other occupied tables at the time had both. So I got up and went to the server’s stand, and grabbed my own chopsticks. I also have this rule that I never order alcohol unless I am asked if I would like a drink, and considering the margins on alcohol in most restaurants that are license to sell such products, you would think that a server, especially an owner, would jump at the opportunity to serve a young man a drink. But no. No one ever asked, so I just drank what I was given, which was beautiful, delicious mountain tap water.
The Pad Thai was good, the fried scrambled egg was cooked well, very delicate and tasty. It was thinly sliced to garnish the noodles. I wish the dish had more crushed peanuts and it had little to no vegetables except for red and green chillies. I wish this had slivers of red pepper or something to add a bit to the dish. It seemed a bit pedestrian, though I have never been to Thailand, so many this is authentic, I don’t really know, though I have had much better Pad Thai in Windsor, Ontario, and in Michigan.
I was not very happy with the treatment of the shrimp for both the Tom Yum soup and the pad thai, it was extremely overcooked, and tasted as if they had simply boiled unseasoned shrimp and then added it to the dishes. These shrimp were not deveined either, which really lacks care in term of execution.
The service today was a bit uncomfortable and to be honest a little jarring, considering I have eaten here a few times, and have even had a conversation with the woman who served me today: about how she has worked in huge restaurants and hotels all over the world, about thai food, about aromatics and when to use them. So it really came as a surprise when I received cold service to contrast the steamy, spicy dishes I had ordered. A general lack of attentiveness, and care, is not what I would expect from a restaurant I have been to more than once. It is possible she didn’t remember my face, or the conversation we had a few months back, and I don’t expect us to be hommies or chill bros or anything like that, but I do expect a basic level of respect and service when eating in a restaurant, especially when I am being served by one of the owners.
I wasn’t asked if I enjoyed my meal, I get the impression that my server today didn’t really care. I was brought the bill, and told my server that I would be paying using debit. The debit machine timed out as I was staring at my bill; specifically at the $2.89 Service Charge (15%). When the machine began to beep the server came back over, and I said “I’m Sorry, I think the machine timed out. And I am a little bit confused as to why I am being charged a service fee?” I found this odd because 1) I was eating by myself and didn’t think it was appropriate for a server to tack on a gratuity for a single person, especially when said customer knows you own the restaurant and 2) I didn’t receive even basic service that one would become accustomed to when you have a belly like mine and enjoy when other people cook for you so you eat out a lot! She told me that it says the restaurant would add a 15% service charge to your bill on the menu because it was “easier” for her, and then said that she would take it off my bill THIS time, but wouldn’t be taking the charge off NEXT time. Next Time. Next. Time.

Which is a completely hypothetically unlikely scenario considering that I will never come back to this restaurant to eat based on the service, general lack of care that I was shown while eating here and the gratuity that was automatically added to my bill. I love supporting local businesses, but cannot, in good faith, support Pad Thai Restaurant, and don’t feel like the food is good enough to go back in spite of the bad service. I also feel like the portions are small for the price you pay, and I feel like the portions are smaller when you get Take Out.

Reviewed 19 January 2016

Went here on recommendation from someone who loves Thai food: we found the food good although was far less spicy than expected : the red curry also had too many vegetables and insufficient meat than we have eaten elswere.