All reviews secured underground keurig coffee maker free breakfast booked this hotel secure parking check in was a breeze covered parking clean hotel two queens a great stay loft suite hot tub rocky mountains enjoyable stay the main drag yogurt visit banff
Reviewed 1 April 2018

A great new renovated hotel in Banff - we stay quite a bit in Banff, but it was our first time here. The decor is really contemporary and well done. The staff are super friendly, and we loved the board games and gym.

However, what really put us off was the incredible amount of waste with disposable cups and plates everywhere. The rooms have single-use plastic cups (wrapped in plastic) instead of mugs. The breakfast (while decent quality) used paper plates, plastic cutlery, plastic yogurt pots, plastic butter/cream pots, plastic cups etc. The breakfast attendants spend a lot of time constantly emptying the garbage cans because of the huge piles of garbage everyone leaves behind when they are finished eating. We heard a few people both mornings commenting on how much garbage the breakfast creates. We couldn't even have a cup of tea or glass of wine in our room in the evening without using more plastic cups. Heartbreaking that this still happens in 2018! They have the standard card in the room asking you to reuse your towels because they "care about the environment" - but clearly they don't! We enjoyed the hotel, but the serious waste problem put us off coming here again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
CanaltaLodgeGM, General Manager at Canalta Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Canalta Lodge. I am glad that you loved our board games and gym. Please accept my apologies if we did not meet your expectations in regards with our dishes. Our plates down to our cutlery are all made of compost able material and are categorized as environment friendly. But we will definitely take into consideration your feedback for our future developments. We value your thoughts and we appreciate you giving us an opportunity to do better next time. Thank you.

Reviewed 31 March 2018

We just completed a very pleasant two day stay at the Canalta Lodge in Banff. It was very well located in Banff Avenue within a ten minute walk to the main drag with abundant eating and shopping options.

The check in was quick and easy and our room was spacious, spotless and attractively furnished with fridge and microwave. The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate from 6- 10 am.

One could take advantage of the free shuttles to the 3 major ski hills just outside the door or the local transit bus for $2 going all over Banff and Canmore.

Secured parking was available at $7/ day in the parkade beneath if you didn’t want to park on the street for free.

We would certainly return to Canalta for the reasons given as well as the very reasonable rate charged.

Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us here at the Canalta Lodge. I am very happy that you made us part of your adventures here in Banff. It is fulfilling to know that we made your stay pleasant. I hope to welcome you back personally the next time you visit Banff! Thank you.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

I debated whether I should write a glowing review of this hotel, only because it is a hidden gem in Banff, and once word gets out how fabulous this place is, I’m sure prices will go up. But seriously, this was a super hotel. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is a mix of hot and cold foods and has something for everyone. It is al fresh and filling. The coffee was delicious too. The breakfast staff were always topping up the food items and frequently cleaning the dining tables. The rooms are modern, recently renovated and generally clean. I did notice some areas not thoroughly vacuumed behind the night stands, but I’m a clean freak and notice the smallest details. From others’ reviews I expected a dimly lit room but did not find it dim at all. There was ample lighting and when you turn the TV on there’s even more light, so no issues there at all. In the evening, we played some board games that were available for use in the lobby. Parking was free above ground and $7 per day underground. We chose the above ground parking as the weather was decent. We had no issues with parking and always found a stall. Check out was quick and efficient and staff were once again so very friendly. I think I’ve found my “forever” hotel when I come to Banff. Well done Canalta staff!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
CanaltaLodgeGM, General Manager at Canalta Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Dear Guest,

I can't express enough my gratitude for this wonderful review you have provided us. The Canalta Lodge here in Banff will continue to provide you with the best guest stay experience and memorable stays.I look forward to your next visit! Thank you.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Check-in (Which is late compared to other hotels I've stayed at, 4pm) was uncomfortable, to say the least. The front desk staff was awkward, unattentive and lacked confidence. They seemed to be pre-occupied with other paperwork as opposed to greeting us right away.

When we were finally greeted and checked-in they asked us if we wanted to sign up for Canalta Rewards, which was a shock to us as that is how we booked our room for the weekend.

The room was nice, but the hotel lacks amenities at this time. The pool and hot tub are located at another hotel while renovations are undergoing the lodge at this time.

Upon check-out, we were called 10 minutes before 11 am (10:50) to notify us of a $20/hour late check-out charge, commencing after 11:30. I did not feel like arguing over the phone about this, and kindly let the desk staff know that I would keep them posted on our expected departure time. We went to the desk to check-out at 12:04pm and sure enough, they wanted to charge us the $20. Again not feeling like arguing with desk staff, as they are just following policy, we charged it to the card and left the property.

I would suggest that the $20/hour be removed, and if that's not an option at least pro-rate it, or check with housekeepers to see if it actually impacts operations at all. In my opinion, it is just a money grab and it doesn't feel like I am a guest at this point, but rather just a source of revenue.

I'm not sure if I will be loyal to the Canalta brand after this experience.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Can’t say enough positive things about this hotel! Clean modern (yet rustic) rooms, outdoor pool, with new outdoor hot tubs in the works this spring, best free breakfast and underground parking. The hotel staff was beyond accommodating as we needed to store our luggage prior to check in, and they found two rooms very close together for our family. Best Canalta I’ve stayed at so far!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for a great review you have provided us. I am glad that we helped create another great Canalta experience for you. I am so excited to welcome you back on your next visit here in Banff! Until then!