We recently stayed at the Douglas Fir Resort in Banff (Feb 2012). It was our first experience at this hotel, although we have been eyeing it for awhile. We got a great opportunity to stay there for two nights on a last minute price drop on the website page. We are a family of five with kids aged 9, 7, and 3. This is a great hotel for ages up to 12 because of the huge indoor playground. This place entertained for hours. The water slides have a limited window of usage but a lot of fun regardless. The other pool is a great option if you don't want screaming kids in the background, but it is not located in the same area so if you do have kids, it is one option or the other. Fitness room is adequate and there is a games room for the video buff.
The room we stayed in was a loft in lodge room. Who knew that stairs in the room would entertain the kids that much! The kids stayed upstairs and it was great having a real fireplace to warm up the place. We didn't give five stars cause there were some glitches along the way. Room keys would not work properly, and the decor was only okay. We had a puddle of water from the radiator which they never fixed during our stay. Other than that, service was excellent and we had a great stay. FYI-your room key acts as a free bus pass if you don't want to deal with parking downtown and the indoor parking onsite was a bonus in winter.
All in all, our kids had a blast and with mountainous views right outside your bedroom, who can complain. I would definitely recommend this resort but wait for a special that makes it worth the expense. It is Banff, so everything is expensive. The resort wasn't five star, but the memories are.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 Giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool,outdoor hot tub, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Freeinternet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Wotif.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hooroo Pty Ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
- Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
- Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
- Douglas Fir Banff