“Johnson Lake - Great hike for younger kids”

Minnewanka Loop / Lake Johnson
Reviewed 21 July 2016

There is a trail around Johnson lake, about 3km I think, that we hiked with our 6 and 8 year old. It a great trek with nice views of the lake and up into the trees a bit. The lake has a small sand beach and is a good spot to relax. Lots of fish jumping too. Would recommend for a picnic or easy walk.

1  Thank Oilerman
There are newer reviews for Minnewanka Loop / Lake Johnson

Reviewed 17 July 2016

This drive was crowded- but we saw so much wildlife on this loop! Lots of cars stopped and lots of people taking photos but everyone was pretty respectful- not getting too close and keeping quiet.

1  Thank sarmstrong0222
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed exploring the lakes, old mining town, and various viewpoints. We saw wild animals from the safety of our car. Loved seeing these amazing creatures as we rolled along surrounded by beautiful landscapes. Did the loop a few times during our week in Banff because it was so enjoyable!

1  Thank Kaimuki31
Reviewed 11 July 2016

There is not good I love more than discovering a new mountain lake. On my most recent road trip to Banff I decided to find one. Lake Minnewanka and Two Jack Lake kept popping up on instagrama new they looked beautiful. Well insta filters and hashtags did not disappoint. Both lakes are beautiful and worth a stop. I was hoping to hike a. It around Minnewanka however most of the trails had bear warnings and that's really not something I want to tempt. I preferred Two Jack Lake as it was quieter, there were no boats on it at the time just paddle boards and kayaks. Seeing this lake made me want to run into Banff and rent one because nothing looked more relaxing than paddling out to the middle of the lake and just floating there. I was also lucky enough to see two mountain pain goats walking up the road like they owned it (which of course they do).

Highly recommend stopping here for a picnic wether it's by yourself, with friends or family. If you like kayaking or paddle boarding don't forepget yours to lake is perfect for it. There are picnic tables all around, the famous red chairs with a great view and a little cafeteria type place that I did not visit.

1  Thank BreMansell
Reviewed 3 July 2016

This is a fantastic short trip with plenty of places to walk and admire the views. Our trip almost did not happen due to the attitude of a "summer" ranger who was very unfriendly, insolent and as the title states an..........!
Tanking th latter up with the Government department.

That out the way we had a fantastic picnic at the lake and stopped at Two Jack for a while. Not as grand as Louise or Moraine but quieter, less stress full and worthwhile.