“Excellent Hike”
Review of Rockbound Lake

Rockbound Lake
More attraction details
Owner description: A lake completely surrounded by rock.
Reviewed 20 January 2016

Rockbound Lake lives up to its name. If you choose to hike around the lake you encounter massive house-sized boulders on the left side of the lake. The lake is a jewel surrounded by high cliffs that look impenetrable. I had heard there was a way up the cliffs and managed to find a narrow scree slope at the far end of the lake that I was able to ascend with difficulty, as it was steep and slippery, but it took me atop the first cliffs. By meandering further to the left, I was able to find a way up to the next level. After that, I was free to roam along the side of the high ridge overlooking the lake for expansive views. Due to running out of time and potential daylight I was unable to achieve the top of the ridge, but it was remote, solitary, satisfying wilderness experience. Attaining the high ridge made the hike much more memorable than simply arriving at the lake and staying there.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"falls"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 1 July 2015

The location is spectacular.
The trail up and down is deteriorating through Parks Canada's lack of maintenance
This old road access does not allow bike access although the site is perfect for
those with the skill sets.
And Parks are still not even handling water management on the old road.
And this is in a World Heritage Site?

Reviewed 18 June 2015

Awesome hike! Trail to the lake was dry and in good condition. We hiked around the lake which was amazing, the waterfalls are beautiful close up. There were tons of small fruit fly like bugs flying around the lake, should bring a bandanna or something to keep them out of your nose and mouth. The waterfall leaving the lake is a very risky venture to scale down but is exciting and get some great views of Tower Lake and the exiting creeks. Seen schools of what looked like trout swimming about.

1  Thank Justin A
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The snow was so deep that we couldn't get there, Was looking forward to it though looks beautiful, Just didn't expect that much snow and water in late June!

3  Thank ria G
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Let me start by saying we never made it to Rockbound Lake. We went right at the trailhead instead of left and I'm so glad we did! Silverton Falls is heavenly. Once we did take that right hand trail we (my husband, 19 yo daughter and I) did not meet anyone else. I hope that doesn't mean that these falls are overlooked. It does seem that way since I can't review the falls directly. The hike was not difficult by Canadian Rocky standards and the payoff was an exceptionally beautiful falls that we had all to ourselves. So glad we took the road less traveled!

1  Thank kmp1983