“Expensive but with just a few outdated chairlifts”
Review of Sunshine Village

Sunshine Village
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sunshine Village sits high on the Continental Divide in the heart of Banff National Park, and is just minutes from the mountain town of Banff. Three sprawling mountains provide breathtaking sitelines, uninterrupted by any signs of civilization beyond the resort's leasehold. Ski or ride in Alberta and British Columbia in one run. Sunshine Village's seven-month season stretches from early November until late May - the longest non-glacial season in Canada. The Village's altitude of 7,082 feet ensures the snow stays dry. Sunshine can receive up to nine metres (30 feet) of snow in a season, and it stays all year.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I had really high hopes getting to this resort but was quite dissapointed. They have just a few old poma chairlifts with no footrest and no bubbles, and most are quite short (so the slopes are also short and not well connected). The only chairlift with a bubble is the 'luxury' one and is quite difficult to get to ! But this are the norm in European resorts, even the ones not so famous and definitely less expensive, in Jasna,Slovakia for example.
I was freeezing on those chairs and it was -12 C ,I cannot immagine how people can enjoy riding when is colder and/or windier !
The food provided is mostly fastfood type and also expensive, not to mention the beers (8-10 $ !)
The only good thing about it is the scenery and the snow. I didn't like the slopes too much ( most are short, they have a lot of flat portions, they are not well delimited )
It might be good for beginners, it might be more affordable with a super saver card if you can get one from costco or kijiji, but it's no match to a decent european resort !

1  Thank giorgiana_f
"black diamond"
"lookout mountain"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Good resort with plenty of lifts and a good variety of runs. Decent facilities (toilets, picnic areas, microwaves, drink stops). Ski hosts are available to take you around the mountains for free if you fancy a guided tour. There are also rentals and lessons available.
The day ticket price is pretty eye watering at over 100 dollars. Especially when you can see that a full price season pass (6 months) is only 14 times the price of one day and worse if you know that locals can get big discounts by buying in advance.
So why do I keep coming back here? The lift lines are almost non existent, the people are friendly, the snow is wonderful and I can ski for hours without fear of someone crashing into me.
Note that if you don’t have a car there’s now a free bus service from Banff. If you do have a car you need to buy a national park pass. Parks Canada regularly visit Sunshine parking lot and give out infringement tickets to any vehicle without an appropriate pass.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I took my husband here for his first snowboarding experience, and it did not disappoint. The 25 minute gondola ride to the top of the mountain was a beautiful start to the day! Once we got to the top, we found the little beginner area quickly, and my husband spent some time practicing. This was packed with kids doing lessons, but once they all went to lunch, it was all ours!

We finally made it on the Strawberry Lift to his first green run, and I'm afraid he's now spoiled for views on a snowboarding trip! My only regret is that we didn't come back and snowboard again on our trip! Next time...

Staff was very helpful; one of the trainers took the time to help my husband get up on the snowboard his first time, even though we didn't pay for lessons. That was very nice!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

What a wonderful day. Picked up in Renee's group as a Mountain Snow Host, she took us literally to every lift and showed us the secret sweet spots around the mountain. Very informative on the history of Sunshine which we always enjoy. Attentive and not at all in a rush, something many in a hurry miss when teamed up with a great guide willing to spend time with you.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Excellent place to learn to Ski. Came here with my family (2 adults and 2 daughter 16 and 13) who have never stood on skis before. We booked 2 days worth of lessons and Sunshine created a package including equipment, lessons and passes. Our instructor for the day was Annie and she was very patient and taught us all the basics very quickly. After a few hours we were on the ski lifts and trying our first green run. Excellent and very tiring first day on the slopes.

Unfortunately my daughter was ill the following morning and we were unable to attend the second day of lessons. I emailed Sunshine in the morning and told them we would not be coming (I didn't tell them my daughter was ill). I knew the booking condition and did not expect any refunds or alternative dates. Sunshine replied almost immediately offering an alternative day. Sadly we couldn't make this either due to travel arrangement so sunshine GAVE US A FULL DAYS REFUND :-) Amazing service, above and beyond. We will be going back and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Good work