“'Bad Eggs'”

Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Barlow
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The title is really a little unfair. Three of us went for breakfast and on the whole it was excellent. I came across the problem that I get in many places. I like my fried eggs soft, and ask for them to be done that way. As expected they came hard and really spoilt what could have been an excellent five star experience. The bacon, sausages were truly good, and the black pudding my son ordered as part of his breakfast was large and delicious. My wife had pancake - the best ever was the verdict and they came slathered in fruit. Likewise the tea and coffee were first class.
Service was pleasant, no concerns there.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

Extremely rude youngish waitress with a bad attitude and no customer skills.
Came to take our order rattling a sweet round in her mouth.
Very abrupt. Scones on menu but run out at 12.30, no gluten free cake in a cafe coffee place,
We decided not to stay and could hear her ranting in the kitchen as we passed.
She then came out and tried to 'turn the situation around' by insulting my friend and making out that we had been rude to her.
Have been before and enjoyed it but certainly won't be going back.
Went to the pub next door, service excellent delicious scones, GF cake and coffee.

6  Thank GlutenfreeJJ
Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Overly rated. Miserable woman serving. Took ages to get food out. Mediocre food. Awful cake. Supposedly salted caramel??? Chocolate cake with buttercream. Salted caramel sauce and mars bar???? Was upset on way out to see member of staff in loo with service apron on. Sarcastic comment made by one of staff in way in. Ten minutes to pay at till. Won't be going again

6  Thank sugar158
Reviewed 14 February 2018

Comprehensive daytime menu, could have chosen several dishes. My wife and I both chose meat & potato pie. Generous portions, excellent flavours. Staff very friendly and helpful. Will definitely be back, need to try different dishes. We booked a table beforehand, I suspect this is the norm as it was quite busy even for a Monday. No hesitation in recommending to friends and family.

1  Thank John H
Reviewed 12 February 2018

We found the cafe purely by chance on our first trip to the peak district,and liked the place so much went back for lunch the next day. The young girls could not have been more helpful on our first day there. The following days visit resulted in totally different service. We were served by a black haired older woman who gave us the impression that she was doing us a favour by letting us eat there. Both she and another older lady simultaneously barked at us that they were only doing sandwiches and had virtually run out of food. Sandwiches were all we wanted anyway. The food was as excellent as the previous day, the attitude from the black haired lady was not. Drinks were slammed on the table without acknowledgement or a smile. Cut the attitude or retire and leave it to the young women who are a credit to the place.

3  Thank minka1508