The Swan Hotel
USD 121*
USD 53*
Travelodge
Good 3.5/5
    Premier Inn Winchester Hotel(Winchester)(Great Value!)
    USD 99*
    USD 114*
    USD 205*
    USD 75*
    • Restaurant
    All reviewscar parkthe ground floorwatercress linefamily roomwould stay againfull english breakfastbreakfast was excellentgood nights sleeplovely hoteldeluxe roomgood sizebar areabusiness tripgreat selectionbreakfast and dinnerwi ficooked food
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 18 September 2011

This place has to be the worst place we have stayed in a very long time. The hotel itself was very rundown and unmaintained, very tired looking and very dirty in places. Our bathroom looked as if it had been made from spare building supplies as the tiles were odd, basin, toilet and shower units were all different and it was all squeezed into a space the size of a wardrobe. The Shower was more or less a dribble and there was black mould present. When the toilet flushed it made a awful deafening sound almost lawnmower like. As for the food, Im sure it was lovely in its past life before the swan got hold of it. Terrible over cooked vegetables, microwaved muck and generally a tastless unpaletable substance, that kind of resembled food. The bar at any given time, weither it be 10am or 10pm without fail was full of washed up alcoholics, having the same conversation/argument they have day in day out. It was almost intimitating to walk into as they almost give off the 'what are you doing here' vibe. Although we wernt really concerned as the average the was at least 70. With all that considered the real downfall of this establishment was the owner/management. This women had to be one of the most horrble humans on the face of the earth. If she wasnt dictating her waiting staff about she was breathing down the necks of her bar staff, commenting and harassing there every move. All and all a terrible experience which I wont be repeating. I would not recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
    6  Thank John S
    Reviewed 6 September 2011

My wife and I stayed here as it was recommended to us by some friends. We found the staff friendly and the food good. Overall a very pleasant stay and will definately do it again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 29 July 2011

Paradoxically, I find myself agreeing in part with both the raves and the brickbats.

I didn't find the squalid conditions mentioned by some reviewers, but the older parts of the hotel looked a bit tired and in need of refurbishment. It was also a bit disconcerting to find a notice in the window with a CCTV still asking for assistance in finding a burglar who had - ahem! - "visited" the premises. Not what I really wanted to see when I had come for a photography course nearby and had a shedload of camera gear in my room!

The place is also a pub. Plus side was the excellent state of the beer (and its reasonable cost by southern English standards); minus side was making my way in to the premises past some rather sweary customers, whose every other word began with F. Nor was I hugely impressed when the reception virtually had to send out a search party to locate a key for my room.

As far as food was concerned, the full English breakfast was served buffet style. It was adequate, but food can become a bit tired when kept hot from 0730 to 0930. Dinner, however, was really good. I had the DB&B option, which had a few choices on the fixed price menu. The fish that I had as main course was really good. Pity everything isn't up to the standard of the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
    Reviewed 4 July 2011

The hotel itself is generally faded and scruffy and our room was very dirty e.g. the sink had the remnants of the previous occupants soap still on it, the mirror was dirty and streaked with something unmentionable, the toothbrush holder had old toothpaste still on it, the bath was dirty, the shower panel was mouldy, the furniture was dusty... the list seemed endless.
    To complain, we had to ring the outside reservations line as no-one answered any internal numbers such as reception or housekeeping. Eventually they did provide a cleaner who worked for a while in the bathroom before announcing 'that's the best I can do', leaving it more or less as before. The one saving grace was that the breakfast was OK.
    We tried to find alternative accommodation but everywhere else was full so we just had to put up with it. When we left, we did complain again and the manager knocked ten pounds off the bill but we would have preferred them to spend the extra money on a decent cleaner. Never again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
    3  Thank Happyporkers
    Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel because we had a family do nearby. It was such a shame as the location of the hotel was really good - just the place was like Faulty Towers. (Actually worse - I would have liked to see Basil to cheer the place up). We stayed in the newer part of the hotel for one night. The room was not clean, the bedspread had lots of hairs and muck on it and the reception service was very poor. Considering we only stayed for sleep, shower and breakfast, the hotel was notable by its low standards.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family