New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Occidental Nuevo Vallarta

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Los Angeles, California
“Great hotel, great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed there in Mid-March for 4 nights, 5 days. The hotel is nice, seems large but never overwhelming. For the money we spent we got a great value and loved the experience.

The pool is decent, we always woke up late and got to breakfast minutes before it closed. This made us get to the pool late, but never were we unable to find two lounges next to the other. The fight for lounges you hear about at other hotels doesn't come into play here, there seemed to be plenty for everyone there. The pool doesnt have a swim-up bar, but if you tip the pool wait staff a few pesos they will keep coming back to you often to serve you more. As we read in other comments, a little tip DOES go a long way.

The buffets are OK, can be hit or miss, but what do you expect from all-inclusive. You won't be getting filet mignon or lobster but hamburgers, tacos, etc. Service at the buffets were great, have no complaints there.

Because of the length of our stay we were only able to eat at a specialty restaurant one night, we chose the Mexican restaurant next to the pool. This was pretty good, and being all-inclusive make sure you go very hungry so you can order as much food as you want. Don't think you have to order only one main course, if two look good and you skipped the hamburgers for lunch then order two.

Our travel agent was able to secure one night's dinner at the club level on the top floor. There were some miscommunications with no hotel or club level managers on site at dinner time so we signed a receipt to pay for the dinner. The next day the hotel staff apologized for trying to charge us and tore up the receipt. The dinner at the club restaurant was pretty awesome, not sure if it's worth the extra money per night to stay in those rooms, but if for one night we enjoyed the service and attention there.

As it is all-inclusive, you never need your wallet or ID. The alcohol is OK, mid-level brands such as Absolut and Skyy for vodka or Jose Cuervo or Jimador for tequila. The beer choices were Corona and Negro Modelo, both on tap only and seemed to be infused with soda water. They weren't the same taste as if they were straight out of the bottle. Ask for double since pours are pretty stingy in Mexico...at least here they were.

If you're looking for nightlife, this isn't it. We met great people and hanged out with them at night for drinks by the pool bar, but it was nothing crazy at the pool bar. They claim moving tables our of the Mexican restaurant and putting on loud music is a disco but no one danced there, everyone stayed at the pool bar. With this crowd we did get into Puerto Vallarta and had a late and crazy night. Nuevo Vallarta is about 20$American to get to Puerto Vallarta each way.

There is an activities desk that puts on events around the pool and beach all day long. These are OK, we took part in beach volleyball and "mexican bingo". They repeat events each day like water aerobics and "mexican bingo", so if you miss one day you can play the next.

Oh, and we never took the "tour" of the property. This seemed like a sale for time shares and we just weren't interested. Don't feel like you have to go to the "tour" desk to get a free tote bag or whatever...not worth your time, unless you really want to join the Occidental time share program.

Room Tip: The first floor are the only rooms with balconies, more like porches. We were on the 5th floor and d...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Polish first
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Pictures cannot describe the sense of awe that this architectural marvel inspires. We arrived late at night and the first sight of the hotel is amazing. Thie pictures on Google do not do it justice. It is gigantic and the mixture of stone, illuminated alabaster and the waterfalls are stunning. I am allowing some grace with check in as it was Good Friday and staff at that time of night seemed sparse which is understandable for an important holiday time. At check in, the bus stopped right at the stairs and people struggled to get their bags up them. There did not seem to be bellmen present. The same happened at leaving and I would recomment that the buses move slightly ahead to the ramp to make baggage transfer easier. I was surprised though as I have always found bellmen at resorts to be quite aggressive at attending to luggage in the past. Check in however was quick and they gave us a spectacular room on the ground floor that looked into the ocean and the outdoor stage.

ROOM
I loved the stone and glass shower that also looked into the room. Plenty of water pressure and hot water. We did have some persistent issues with odors coming from the sink which Laura had attended to very promptly, but it would appear that there are some venting problems that could be addressed. The room overall though was spacious, very clean, had plenty of storage and a great decor overall. So fantastic to have a terrace to sit on. Large flatcreeen TV, great lighting options (you'll see what I mean). Loved the towel art on the bed each morning. Oh, and it seemed like my wife and I were always trying to find where each other were in the bed as it is HUGE.

One of the highlights of this resort is it's compact size. No endless walking or climbing. Everything is a stone's throw away. The pool, buffet, a la carte's, beach and rooms are all but steps away from each other. Something else we didn't know was that this was the Mexican Spring Break so the hotel was at 100% capacity. Now PULLEASE tourists don't let me see those terrible comments about "too many locals" at the resort. We are guests in their country and I've noticed a surprising number of Canadians at hotels in Canada when I travel. So great to see a resort that the local people can afford and use. I loved to see the families and all their cute children. You will see from the photos attached that there was no sense of crowding whatsoever. Plenty of loungers and palapas everywhere. This was great to see what this resort would be like at full capacity.

FOOD
Met Yann the head of culinary services who is from Montreal originally. There was a definite French flavor to the food and presentation which the French are renowned for. I'm not a dessert person normally, but to see the variety of petit fours was just way too tempting. If you have travelled to the Dominican you may be shy of the chocolate, but not here...it was excellent. The mocha ice cream and mango sherbet was fantastic as well. Rosario made some of the best omelets I've ever had and the beef here is to die for. Pork was a little on the tough side but each day we had plenty of variety. The beach snack bar did hamburgers, onion rings, smokin hot chicken wings and fries as well as small buffet items very well. It was nice to have menu and buffet choices at the Hacienda snack bar. Unlike most resorts, the buffet will generally beat out or at least give very strong competition to the 2 a la carte restaurants. The Italian was good with it's stand up cesar salad and outstanding shrimp and scallops (i could have done without the risoto though). Ricardo was a most excellent host. The Mexican restaurant was a little lackluster but I wasn't expecting too much else. David though was a very attentive waiter there and his humor made it a very enjoyable evening. Wine at this resort is great (as was the tequila) thanks so much to Jesus the General Manager for showing me the nuances of tequila tasting. One more thing that I have to mention. The moon stays out until about 8:00 am so you can actually have breakfast in the moonlight...so romantic! See the pic.

TOWEL SCHOOL
If you get the chance, be sure to join the ladies at "Toala Escuela"...towel school to learn how to make their very creative designs that they leave each day on your bed. I had a ball learning and practicing this fun art.

POOL
The pool area is somewhat small, but the service from Sandra, the only waitress I saw there was outstanding. You will definitely remember her.

BEACH
This is after all why we come eh? The beach was the best we have had in our travels. It is spacious and you can walk for miles along it. No rocks in the water unlike the Palladium and it is shallow so virtually safe for everyone. Good place to boogie board which were always available and "Bam Bam" did an excellent job of taking care of your needs in that area.

STAFF
The staff here are very good. Manuel's breakfast and lunch teams were cheerful and attentive as was Juan's team in the evening. They will rush and compete to be at your service. My wife and I so enjoyed it.

LOCATION
Wow...15 min from the airport, a shopping centre across the street, a $7 taxi ride from WalMart (don't waste your time, WalMart here is more expensive than Canada and you can get much better deals from the beach vendors). If you're a Starbucks addict, it is also across the street. A walk away from a major health care centre. Everything you need so close, yet the oceanside seems so tranquil.

This is definitely a resort to visit

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank MikeV57
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Where to start... We stayed at the OGNV from April 5-12. From when we landed at the airport till the time I was sitting in the lobby with my bags already in the room having my first beer was only 45 mins. Never have we been though security and customs in any other country so quickly. Our check-in process was less than 5 mins with no wait at all. The service from the staff through out our stay was nothing short of 5 Star with one small blip which I will talk about later.

From what you have already read in most other reviews I can attest the fact that this place is in fantastic condition having been recently remodeled. What isn't talked about much is that the rooms although nice and newly renovated have PAPER THIN WALLS. The noise coming from the hallway at nights or early morning was unreal. This although a pain did not deter us from our vacation and enjoying the resort.

The pool area is very nice and always clean. For the most part chairs are always available. Which brings me to the UGLY portion of our trip. This resort has a Time Share portion to it. Now the sales people did not even once bother us... this is not the issue. What was the main problem is that they "rent" out the resort on a daily basis to these Shopper's who infiltrate the entire resort for a day, bringing with them their dozens of screaming children. Now don't get me wrong, I have 4 kids of my own and would love to have been able to bring them to a resort of this nature when they were younger. Problem is that there doesn't seem to be a limit as to how many each family brings. some families had as many as 6-8 kids with them. Of course this is a great idea to bring your kids friends all for a free day at a nice resort. BIG problem is that it totally ruins the atmosphere for anyone above the age of 12. There were so many kids in the pool on these "rental" days that it was nearly impossible to get into the pool without getting splashed and sprayed by the young kids. Did this ruin our holiday... NO but it certainly tainted it.

Overall the service at this resort is close to 5 Star or better. The Pool/Beach bar is always fast with drinks and never looking for tips. The pool - Fun - staff were great aside from the head guy who though it was his job to ensure you did not have fun. The young kids though running the activities were fantastic.

Food: Not the best but certainly not the worst. The Italian Restaurant was our favorite and the Mexican was very nice. the Buffet always had something for everyone. Typical Resort food.

We did some excursions with the SunQuest team. Angel was awesome. He went out of his way for us to get what we wanted. We did a beach/snorkeling/diving trip with Vallarta Adventures. My older son did Zip lines and said it was amazing. Our fishing trip was a disappointment in that we didn't catch anything.... but that is fishing.

The biggest disappointment happened when we checked out. Not that is a HUGE deal, but certainly something that made me upset. One of my kids had lost their room keys. The front desk made me pay $10 fee for this. I could care less about the $10, it was more the point. Normally we don't even give these back as my kids and wife keep them as mementos. They got very angry with me when I said I thought it was nuts for them to charge me this. They insisted I pay or my travel voucher to the airport would be rescinded. It was only $10 so it was not a big deal, but it was the attitude and overall point.

Overall I still give this resort a 4 Star rating. The service as I said is great. The staff, aside form a rare few, are excellent. The amenities are probably more in line with a 3 star so somewhere in the middle is where I rated this resort.

Would I go back... No, but I would recommend it if they cleaned up the idea of how they represent their Time Share. This was the biggest problem of all

Room Tip: Ask for a Room on the round floor so you can have a balcony
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian L
Port Hope, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at the OGNV the week of April 6, 2012. I read the reviews and went with an open mind. We arrived at the resort and immediately, our room keys didn't work. So we had to go back down to the desk to get them re-set. Once we got back to our room and opened the door, we were suprised to see that the room wasn't made. I picked up the phone and called the front desk. They were extremely apologetic and immediately rectified this issue. As this was the second "issue" since we had arrived, they put us in a room that was in an excellent location in order to make up for the issues we had encountered thus far. All this...without me having to cause a stink!
We are not travellers who complain about issues and we usually just suck it up and deal with whatever issues arrise as best we can, but this resort went above and beyond to rectify the issue without me even having to ask.
The service at this resort made our trip most enjoyable and we would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking to go.
The resort is not a "mega" resort like some are and was nice and compact without being "sprawling". I did see a few comments that the pool could have been possibly larger. It was adequate, but it would have been nice to have an adult only pool.
There were LOTS of families there, so expect kids. We don't mind kids, but if you are looking for that "restful, quiet resort",... this is not it. There was always lots of action going on and the resort staff were good at getting the guests up and participating. Lots of loud music and activities that were going on around the pool.
The beach was gorgeous and the sand beautiful. You could walk up and down the beach for miles.
The rooms were well appointed and clean.
The location of this resort was great. It was only a 20 min. ride from the PV airport. There was a small mini mall just a few minutes walk from this resort which had lots of shops for souvieniers and there was also a Starbucks there. If you buy something at Starbucks, keep the recipt as it will have a code for the internet at Starbucks.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julinator3000
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Our week at the Occidental Grand was heavenly. Every employee at the hotel went out of his/her way to make guests feel welcome and appreciated. The hotel manager was on site, hosted a welcome party and was even there to say "Goodbye" when we left. Even though it's an all inclusive, a small tip is gratefully received (but not expected) and the least one can do for these hard working people. Mexico is a beautiful, safe and friendly place to travel as long as one uses the common sense that you would use anywhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple