We stayed there in Mid-March for 4 nights, 5 days. The hotel is nice, seems large but never overwhelming. For the money we spent we got a great value and loved the experience.
The pool is decent, we always woke up late and got to breakfast minutes before it closed. This made us get to the pool late, but never were we unable to find two lounges next to the other. The fight for lounges you hear about at other hotels doesn't come into play here, there seemed to be plenty for everyone there. The pool doesnt have a swim-up bar, but if you tip the pool wait staff a few pesos they will keep coming back to you often to serve you more. As we read in other comments, a little tip DOES go a long way.
The buffets are OK, can be hit or miss, but what do you expect from all-inclusive. You won't be getting filet mignon or lobster but hamburgers, tacos, etc. Service at the buffets were great, have no complaints there.
Because of the length of our stay we were only able to eat at a specialty restaurant one night, we chose the Mexican restaurant next to the pool. This was pretty good, and being all-inclusive make sure you go very hungry so you can order as much food as you want. Don't think you have to order only one main course, if two look good and you skipped the hamburgers for lunch then order two.
Our travel agent was able to secure one night's dinner at the club level on the top floor. There were some miscommunications with no hotel or club level managers on site at dinner time so we signed a receipt to pay for the dinner. The next day the hotel staff apologized for trying to charge us and tore up the receipt. The dinner at the club restaurant was pretty awesome, not sure if it's worth the extra money per night to stay in those rooms, but if for one night we enjoyed the service and attention there.
As it is all-inclusive, you never need your wallet or ID. The alcohol is OK, mid-level brands such as Absolut and Skyy for vodka or Jose Cuervo or Jimador for tequila. The beer choices were Corona and Negro Modelo, both on tap only and seemed to be infused with soda water. They weren't the same taste as if they were straight out of the bottle. Ask for double since pours are pretty stingy in Mexico...at least here they were.
If you're looking for nightlife, this isn't it. We met great people and hanged out with them at night for drinks by the pool bar, but it was nothing crazy at the pool bar. They claim moving tables our of the Mexican restaurant and putting on loud music is a disco but no one danced there, everyone stayed at the pool bar. With this crowd we did get into Puerto Vallarta and had a late and crazy night. Nuevo Vallarta is about 20$American to get to Puerto Vallarta each way.
There is an activities desk that puts on events around the pool and beach all day long. These are OK, we took part in beach volleyball and "mexican bingo". They repeat events each day like water aerobics and "mexican bingo", so if you miss one day you can play the next.
Oh, and we never took the "tour" of the property. This seemed like a sale for time shares and we just weren't interested. Don't feel like you have to go to the "tour" desk to get a free tote bag or whatever...not worth your time, unless you really want to join the Occidental time share program.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta is the ideal hotel for families, couples, and friends looking to enjoy a fun vacation on the Pacific shores of Mexico. Recently renovated, Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta has been updated with the latest modern amenities and technology to ensure a pleasant stay. The hotel is situated on one of the most beautiful beaches in the Riviera Nayarit, minutes from the Nuevo Vallarta shopping center and the best stores and restaurants in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, HotelTravel.com, Barcelo and Odigeo so you can book your Occidental Nuevo Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Occidental Allegro Hotel Nuevo Vallarta
- Nuevo Vallarta Occidental Allegro Hotel