All reviews old colonial style different levels spa columns jacuzzi elevator veracruz mexico
Reviewed 28 September 2015 via mobile

I traveled with 50 students from Universidad Anahuac for a conference we stayed there 4 nights.

The hotel is huge it has a big swiming pool and 2 restaurants.

The service is slow and they don't have many people to attend rapidly (maybe need of training).

The food is 7/10, breakfast 8/10. Reception 8/10. Rooms 9/8/10.

Recommended for low budgets

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2015

The hotel has its historic charm and lovely ocean views. The beds are comfortable. A couple of things related to service made this hotel resulted in a low "average" rating.

1) Upon checking in I was given tickets for breakfast. To access the buffet breakfast (which was varied and decently good), one needs to present one ticket per person to the waiter. Well, I lost my tickets somewhere in my luggage or in the room and couldn't find them, so I went to ask for replacement tickets, explaining that there was no way someone else could have gotten a hold of them and claimed the breakfast in my place. No dice - I was refused new tickets or the breakfast that was supposed to be included in the price I paid for the room.

I recognize it was my fault that I lost the tickets, but the receptionist's attitude and disinterest, coupled with the fact I was denied one of the things I paid for really rubbed me the wrong way. Either be willing to replace tickets, or come up with a better system, such as having people come get their tickets from reception on the way to breakfast, instead of insisting on giving them upon check in (which inevitably will lead to people losing them).

2) No hairdryers in the room. A small inconvenience, but it caused me to be late to an appointment because I had to call reception for a hairdryer to be delivered to the room. It came within 10 minutes, but I had to wait around and then scramble for tip money for the person who brought it to me. Before handing over the hair dryer, the young man insisted on knowing exactly how long I would be using it so he could come pick it up. Not in a friendly way, but in a suspicious sort of way. I said "I don't know, maybe 15 minutes?" and he looked at his watch and said, "OK, I'll be here to get the hairdryer at 2:52pm." I was like, Jesus Christ.

I would have given this place a much higher rating if the service was charming like the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea H
Reviewed 14 May 2015

When I go to Veracruz I really want to immerse myself in its history, so it's here for Boca/beach and the Gran Hotel Diligencias for the port city. Because there's not much around the Mocambo but a nice but missable shopping center and a number of more modern hotels (the ones that get better ratings here, but don't impress me for architecture, location, ambience or style) one is pretty much forced to relax, and in fact the time we spent here was the most relaxed I think I've been on a coastal vacation. The staff was kind and efficient, breakfast buffets on the patio and dinners in the wood-paneled restaurant both wonderful. The spa is right out of the 'golden age of Mexican cinema', the outdoor pool is clean and huge; the beach is probably the least relaxing spot (by state law not private, so there are sometimes annoying vendors) though it's worth exploring a bit, and at least wading out a ways into the Gulf. I do love this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2015

This is a charming, friendly and attractive hotel overlooking the sea, set in large terraced grounds leading down to the main pool and then down further to the beach where there is a large area for residents to relax by another pool. Because of the different levels,it makes this an interesting and very pleasant place to stay, however, the only drawback would be if you are elderly or infirm.
Room was large and clean.
A large courtyard dining area has views to the sea. The food is good and not stupidly expensive like other hotels in the area and the service was notably good
All in all, a very restful stay that we intend to repeat!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2015

I wanted to give this hotel 3 stars but I am one to appreciate character and I could see through the ages to the grandiose place it once was. I adored the beautiful woodwork and stained glass. I was smitten with the ancient elevator. The location is beautiful with sea views and the lights along the crescent shaped bay at night. It is clear that this was The Place to Be in its early days. With that being said, it is aged and does not come with the amenities that many travelers would want. The wifi would only work in the lobby, there were only 2 outlets in the room, the toilet did not work well and during our stay it was very windy and the wooden shutters banged around all night. We did find the restaurant to be lovely in it's architecture and elegance and the food was excellent as well as all of the staff whom we interacted with. We do not regret staying there at all, but we did not sleep well and it was difficult to find as well.

Room Tip: They said there was in room wifi, but the room we had did not have reception, other rooms may fare better. We were in room 511
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family