“Great location and accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ramada Plaza Leon

Ramada Plaza Leon
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Leon
Santa Monica, CA
“Great location and accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

My husband and I spent four nights at the Hotel Condesa while on a short business trip. The hotel is located on one side of the central plaza in the center of the old part of the city, about one-half hour by taxi from the airport. It is not what most people would think of as a Howard Johnson hotel. It is, in fact, a very old colonial-style hotel that was bought some years ago by the Howard Johnson company. Our room was on the second floor and was clean and spacious, though a bit dated in terms of decor. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Most speak at least some English, so you shouldn't expect any major problems with communication. The hotel's main lobby restaurant and bar is also very clean and comfortable. We ate breakfast there all three mornings. It features an American-style breakfast for those who want one, but we opted for the Mexican-style breakfast instead. It is simply fantastic and a very good value! We also had dinner there one evening and we were not disappointed. Restaurant staff and service are well above average. We booked our room directly through Howard Johnson's main reservation number and we had no problems with check-in or with our bill. Our only disappointment was that we weren't able to book a room overlooking the central plaza, since none were available during our stay. However, during check-out we did manage to sneak a peek from one of the rooms while it was being cleaned and the view of the plaza was quite charming. Try to get one of these rooms if you can. We have traveled extensively throughout Mexico and have stayed in hotels at many different price points. Although the Hotel Condesa is not the fanciest we've stayed in, we will definitely stay there again the next time we're in Leon.

• Liked — The location and the friendly staff.
  • Disliked — No view from our room.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank lazymaisey
HOTEL H J, Gerente at Ramada Plaza Leon, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Lazymaisey:

Thank you very much for your comments. In Howard Johnson Hotel Condesa, we feel proud to serve our guests. We hope to see you soon again.

Grettings :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ca. USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2008

My hubby and I and also my parents stayed at the Condesa for 1 night Feb 7th. Our room was fine but my parents room had a NASTY smell in it from the sewer. As we arrived late at night my parents did not complain till the next morning and they were given 2 free American Breakfasts. Apart from this the Hotel was very clean, the staff were very helpful and friendly. Location is great and there is a small Bar/Restaurant in front of the hotel which is a great place to sit and have a beer or two.
I would stay at this hotel again without hesitation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bad smell in my parents room.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Dear Guest:

We apreciate your comments, they are so valuable for us, to improve our facilities and services. Sorry for anwering so far, but it wasn't available to manage this page. We hope to see you soon.

Orange County, CA.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2007

I stayed at this property on June 2nd 2007 for 3 nights. Located right in the heart of the center of the colonial section of town, this property puts you at the footsteps of Colonial Leon. I arrived early in the morning (@ 10AM) and the front desk staff promptly located a room for me to check into even though check-in time was not until 3PM. I reserved and checked into a standard room. It did not have a view and it was smoking room; not a problem with me for I work in the hotel industry and appreciated the fact that the staff was able to accomodate my extremely early check-in. However, after one full day of no A/C I decided to call the front desk and change rooms for the balance of my stay. I spoke with a wonderful lady named Heidi that works the front desk and she promptly booked me into the Junior Suite facing the plaza with a balcony.

The very next day after traveling the Guanajuato contryside, I returned to the hotel to find my new room ready and all of my luggage already in the room. I went back downstairs and thanked Heidi personally. The front desk staff is very, very helpful in arranging any transportation needs or questions about the area. They never give a feeling as if you are bothering them.

The standard rooms were not that great but very affordable but the Junior Suite was great. It had newer furnishings, a fantastic view, balcony, in room music, seperate shower and a seperate tub, parlor area, coffee maker, dinning area and A/C. Well worth the additional cost.

If you stay in the colonial area, bear in mind that none of the hotels will have a pool. Having a pool would have been nice in June, but really not needed.

• Liked — A/C
  • Disliked — Too much hot water.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Dear WLVY:

Grettings :)
So Cal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2006

I booked this hotel from the reviews I read here and was not dissapointed. Its smack in the middle of everything you want to get to in this great colonial town. You exit the hotel lobby and you are in the center of this great Plaza with places to eat and people watch. Also there are a number of bars that might get loud at night. Keep this in mind if you are getting a room facing the plaza. It has plenty of parking on back and its easy to find once in town. I stayed here during a road trip that included visits to the towns of Zacatecas, Aguascalientes and Guanajuato. They all are within 2 hours of each other and Guanajuato is specially close. Place has internet in the lobby and a good restaurant downstairs.

• Liked — big rooms with cable tv and internet access
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the restaurants outside the hotel. Specially the italian joint right across from the church (cant remember the name)
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lernie
Dear Lernie:

Walla Walla, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2006

Was looking for a hotel near the airport, but couldn't find any. This one is right downtown on a historic square surrounded by shops and churches. Town known for shoes and leather. $20/20 minute cab ride to the airport. Paid about $60 U.S. About the same distance as Guanajuato, which I much prefer to Leon. Would probably take a bit longer to get to the airport from there though, because of all the construction, etc.

Part of hotel has been renovated. Moved from first room because they were spraying some horrible smelling stuff in the central area of the floor I was on. Both rooms were clean, but looked out on dirty shafts and walls. Need to be in a suite to look out over the square. Cable TV (but CNN was in Spanish, not English), free internet in the lobby, and good service. Food in restaurant is mediocre at best, and not cheap.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank Nora
HOTEL H J, Manager at Ramada Plaza Leon, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Nora: