2,262 results
All reviews gated community a la cartes playa del carmen snack bar tapas water shoes fish crepes standard room riviera side japanese restaurant air transat pure chill out bar steak thomas cook privileged section sea lions
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

We went in Dec 2016 and i cant say a bad word about it! The hotel is beautiful, the grounds are beautiful and the staff cannot do enough for you. The staff are constantly cleaning everything aswell which i have never once seen in any other hotel, it is absolutely spotless. We didnt want to leave and we definitely would return in a heart beat!

The only "bad" thing i found is the shops in the complex are really expensive but other than that its perfect.

We went to the theatre one night, that was fantastic, my little girl loved it.

The weather was perfect to, 32 degrees in December! We couldnt believe it was winter back in the UK!

We also visited Tulum, which was a great experience altho if you go do not take pictures or videos of anything outside the little town because you will get charged.

Our room was of a good size and we had a pool side view which was beautiful waking up and going out on the balcony, the rooms were cleaned daily and the fridge was restocked daily and we also had fresh towels daily. The bathroom could have used some TLC but to be honest we didnt mind that.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank gfc93
Enrico R, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2017

Dear Guest.
Thank you for your comments; we are thrilled to know that you and your family had an amazing stay. This kind of comments makes us feel so lucky and provide us such a wonderful feeling of how fortunate we are to be in a business where we can build memories that will be long lasting for our guests. It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future; it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Best Regards.
General Manager.

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

We went for 10 days and had a good time. Hotel has some renovations in progress. We upgraded and had oceanview with some of the other perks including the chill bar. The beach by the chill bar was ok but the beach on the other side was much better. We feed the fish bread and there were lots to see even without a mask. If you do upgrade the a la carte breakfast was fabulous and we did this most of the time. The a la carte were all very good. Dont buy the tours from the hut beside the resort on the beach. We did and were told it was a half day trip which was what we wanted. It turned out we returned at 730pm at night. They brought us to a ceynote and left us there for over 3 hours . No idea why. All we wanted to see was Coba. The experience at Coba was phenomenal , this helped us get over the wasted time waiting around. The area of Puerto Adventuras was terrific . We rented a golf cart one day and drove around. Fantastic time. The little area with restaurants and bar was super. The beach by the Omni hotel was beautiful. We loved the area . Would return but perhaps to a different resort.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nictroy
Enrico R, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2017

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are very glad to know you enjoyed the beauty of the beach and our facilities. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience about the tour agency. We would like to let you know in our Resort, there are many external agencies that provide different services for our guest. Thank you again for your comments. Hopefully, you could give us the opportunity to serve you again soon.
Regards.
Genereal Manager.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

We stayed from Dec12- 19th, 2016. Total relaxation, very, very clean and staff is great ! There is 2 sides to the beach, one rockier in the water than the other, beautiful sand, the lagoon is beautiful to feed the tropical fish and go kayaking. The food is really good, must try the Steakhouse and the Japanese Restaurant, what a show :) Our boys loved the Creperie by the pool. Reserve your chairs very early in the morning..

The hotel decorated our door and left little surprises upon our arrival for my husband's birthday, thank-you to management!

Only negative that we brought up to reception was our A/C which always had a rattling noise, but we learned to tune it out ;)

It's about an hour from the Airport if not too many drop-offs are done.

Room Tip: Beds are quite comfortable, pillows are a little small.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Enrico R, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2017

Dear Lynn.
Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Thank you for your nice remarks about restaurants, courteous service and friendly staff. We highly value your observations regarding our services, as we believe that they are the key to the continuing process of improvement. Thank you a lot for recommending us. We'll be waiting for you return.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

I have just returned from this hotel after one week's vacation. I am a relatively frequent visitor to the Caribbean area including several trips to Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

Positives: This is one of the cleanest hotels that I have ever stayed in, it is immaculate throughout. It is nice and compact, with everything within reach.

The food from the buffet restaurant was outstanding, with a huge array to choose from. The breakfast was ample enough to carry us through until tea-time (with the odd crepe or hotdog sufficing for a mid-day snack.

The room was adequate for our needs, again very clean, and had comfortable beds.

Negative Points: Sadly the cleanliness and food was completely and utterly over-shadowed by the Victorian style 'class system' that is run here. We booked our trip via Thomas Cook (wouldn't use this company again) and not once were we told about this system prior to our departure. Upon arrival, as with all 'all-inclusive' (and I use this term loosely) we were given our wrist bands (which as you will soon discover act as your 'mark'), went to our room, and then for a late evening meal. The meal system is a 'wait and be shown to your table', and by which we never had to wait more than a minute or two. On this first night, feeling very tired and hungry, we were shown to our table and went to get food. Upon returning to (what I thought was) our table, a waiter quickly approached us and stated that we were not allowed to sit there, and pointed to the 'reserved for privileged patrons' sign and was made to move.
The following morning, after breakfast, we attempted to find 3 loungers by the pool, and then on the beach, but alas, many people had already 'claimed' their spot, some returning hours later. having searched for a short while, I saw, next to the beach-volleyball court approximately 20 free loungers situated a short distance from the sea. My wife, daughter and I pitched up there, and was later approached by the concierge who told us that we were not allowed to sit on these loungers, as they were reserved for their 'privileged' customers and that we would have to move to another part of the beach. I explained that there were no spare beds to use, as they either had other customers on them or were still being reserved by towels. The concierge stated that they had staff members who were patrolling around to ensure that this didn't happen (although I did not see this at all during our stay). There was another non-privileged wheelchair customer a few seats away from us who wasn't approached by the staff or asked to move. It was at this stage that I noticed that your second mark of non-privileged status is by the colour of the towels, a bland grey colour for non-privileged and a brown and cream for the privileged customers. I saw that there were very many brown and cream towels 'vacantly occupying' loungers in the non-privileged area. The following day we got to the beach and pool area even earlier only to discover the same 'reserved' lounger situation (again with both grey and brown & cream). We spoke to another member of staff, who sensibly said that if there was no room in the non-privileged beach, and there were free loungers in the privileged area, then it would be fair enough to sit back in the privileged loungers that we had been on the previous day, which we did Within the hour the same concierge arrived and told us in no uncertain terms to leave. I felt like I was a 12 year old child being chastised. I tried to point out that she should go and ask the privileged customers to move back to the 20 or so loungers, placed ther for their pleasure in order to give others a chance to get to the sea or a pool. The concierge replied that 'privileged customers can go wherever they liked throughout the whole hotel', I tried to point out that the system was completely unworkable, because if 20 privileged customers decided to go into the non-privileged beach then 20 non-privileged customers were going to dip out. This concept completely went over her head. We then went without a sunbed for over an hour, trying to find 3 singles from all over the beach! I complained to the management, and a compensation of a tapas meal was offered (which we did not attend), not thinking that this second-class system could get any worse, I went to the Tequila bar and asked for a Jack Daniels and coke, and was told by the very rude barman that I wasn't a privileged customer, so could not be served JD!
The whole system is an absolute joke. I fully understand that if you want to upgrade and have a better room with fully stocked mini-bar and a sea view that would cost extra, as has been the case in every hotel that I have stayed in during the past 53 years, and (to a certain degree) see why privileged customers would pay extra for a sea view whilst eating a meal, but to have full-on segregation on the beach, and to not police the sun lounger situation in a credible way was just beyond anything I have witnessed before. You are really made to feel like a second rate citizen.
I have since found out that a lot of patrons at this location take their towels to the evening show or nightclub and 'reserve' their spot during the very early hours of the morning, giving the family going holiday-maker little to no chance in getting by the pool or beach, until the sun has gone. As previously stated, I did not see any enforcement of their apparent non-reserve policy.

Conclusion: Will I revisit Mexico? Yes, definitely, it is a truly wonderful place. Would I ever visit the Catalonia Yucatan Beach hotel again? Not on your life.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
10  Thank Mark D
Enrico R, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2016

Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed our facilities and food and we are very sorry to know you felt like that. Our Guest Service confirm us you were given all the information about the benefits Privileged, as well as compensation for the discomfort on the beach beds. We would like to let you know in Catalonia Hotels & Resorts, we do not promote or allow any form of distinction whether it relates to the team of the hotel or its customers. In our Resort, we are very happy to welcome everyone and provide them an unforgettable stay. Would be a pleasure to have you back at the hotel to give you the best service. Once again, our sincere apologies for not exceeded your expectations.
Regards.
General Manager.

Reviewed 25 December 2016 via mobile

We have just returned from a one week stay at the Catalonia Yucatan hotel. Here is our quick review:

Positives
The hotel is attractive and very clean. I didn't find it dated (like previous reviews) it seemed more traditional to us. Our room was very clean and the bed very comfortable and the room spacious. We had a pool view from the third floor which was really nice. The hotel had made a big effort for Xmas with the lights which looked great after dark. There are a number of pools to choose the right spot according to your requirements. The gardens were immaculately tendered and we loved watching the agoutis! The spa was great and the a la carte restaurant for lunch has an amazing view of the Caribbean sea! We were non privilege guests but upgraded to privilege for a few days (£16 roughly pp/night) which gave us an extra tapas restaurant meal, spa visit, better bar and quieter beach area. It was well worth it at least for a few days. The chill bar is much nicer to relax in than the others (day or night) which were slightly noiser and even a bit of rowdy at times. Breakfast was excellent. I would highly recommend a walk outside the complex to the marina for a meal, beer, dolphins, boats etc (all within the gated complex). The hotel was great value for money.

Negatives
Two main negatives really. The food in the buffet for lunch and dinner was average and bland. If you wanted something warm their wasn't much choice and what there was wasnt very apatising. I found myself heading for bland pizza and chips with a couple of other bits most days which I was quite fed up with by the end of the week. The a la carte restaurants were hit and miss also. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were good but overall the food seemed a lower standard than other hotels we have stayed in. The bar tenders seemed mostly grumpy that they were busy and threw the cocktails together in seconds and accordingly they weren't that nice.

The beach was ok although the concrete block wave break spoils the view somewhat.

Overall great value for money although the food (particularly the buffet) let it down a bit.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gareth S
Enrico R, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2016

Dear Gareth. Thank you very much for all your comments, we are glad that you enjoyed our facilities and service. We would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations about the food. In your next visit, we encourage you to inform our Guest Service if any inconvenience happens during your stay, so he can get better your stay with us. We hope to you will be back soon.

Regards