4,813 results
All reviewssayil buildingmini golfspanish restaurantflow riderfishla fuentecaptain morgansports barwater sportsa la carte restaurantsclub premiumother resortsbarcelo mayabowling alleybuffet foodtropical colonialspring break
Reviewed 28 January 2013

The hotel is located in a very picturesque surrounding.
Almost all STAFF is very attentive and smiling, also loving tips very much. The only thing about the receptionists that upset us a little bit during check out is that we paid for wi-fi twice. On the 1st day of our stay we took the password at the guest room for 4 days and go straight to the reception to pay for those 4 days, cause we think it wouldn't make the connection until we had paid. (We found out later, that we should put all the purchases on our room number and bracelet num.) So, my boyfriend paid, than I asked him whether he had taken the check or not, he admitted, that he'd taken everything the man gave him, so I didn't bother to be convinced of it. When checking out, I noticed, that there was that 4days i-connection in the have-to-pay-list, so I explain, the situation and that we hadn't been given the check, but we paid and the info should have been in their computer. But unfortunately it wasn't, but we had no check, so couldn't prove, also didn't remember the receptionist who took the money. All in all it was our fault, so be more attentive, don't forget to get the checks and save them.
The food is nice and tasty, but nothing extraordinary.
The rooms are all in all ok, but sanitary equipment is noisy. Also we heard the steps from the upper floor, music and voices from the theater.
The sea is good and mostly always clean, but the bottom isn't sandy everywhere and shallow, be careful!
A la carte restaurants are cute!
Spa is common.
Barcy club is a perfect place to leave your child in for a couple of hours.
Animation is energetic!
Mexico is friendly!
Ready to come back!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Valentine_Sokur
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Caribe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2017

Dear Valentine_Sokur,

Thank you very much for your comments. We invite you to discover the new hotel on our website.

Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

My husband I and I went with my brothers family and we all had a wonderful time. From food to location and services, it was Fab.

P.S.

Jan. 24, 2013
On that same trip I lost my engagement ring. I Was just Sick over it. We talked to the front desk and they directed us to the right person to help us. We went to dinner and the hotel rep. Showed up with my ring in hand. I couldn't believe that they had found it. I was so thankful.

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank Debbieaka

Dear Debbieaka,

Reviewed 24 January 2013

A very large complex of hotels in a beautiful location, which you couldn't fault if the weather was good. When the weather was bad though, they struggled to cater for good entertainment. The rooms were very pleasant, comfortable and clean. The food in the buffet areas was not that outstanding given it was a Barcelo and advertised as a 4* - seemed to be the same thing just packaged differently. The a la cartes were very good though.
The local people are some of the friendliest I've come across on holiday and while they naturally try to get you to buy their goods, if you say no thank you they didn't pester you. The local little buses were fantastic value for money - as the resort is quite isolated, you could get to Puerto del Carmen or up to Tulum for 30 pesos one way - very good value.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JayneHutch

Dear JayneHutch,

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Wow is what I can say about the complaints on the hotel! Please do not believe them if you are looking for an all inclusive. We have gone twice and have had no problems with their service what so ever! We stayed the Caribe both times and the second time there was a problem with the refrigerator but they replaced it immediately when they could not fix it. It was in June so that may have been the problem of it not being all that cold.

Of course if you go during the winter months like we did 8 years ago the pool was cold but what do you expect when they don't heat it and why should they when it is warm. I personally go for the beach because you can go anywhere to sit by a pool.

The beds can be a bit hard but my husband and I loved them and actually looked to see who makes it....a Serta. We have bad backs so they felt so good!

Yes the food can be a bit boring but if you are going for food stay at a regular hotel and go out to eat every night. We did have one problem with the service at the buffet the second time we were there but that is not the hotels fault it was the person. He would not serve us any water and was rude. We went to the other side of the buffet the next day and had better service and when he saw us tip that person you should have seen his face!

The beach is awesome!
We were looking for another all inclusive in the same area but nothing was what we were looking for. I love to snorkel so you can do that and in front of the older section...where we stay.. is the best part of the beach!

The location is perfect. If you want to go to Akumal for the day it is only a 1/2 hour away and if you want to go to Playa that is also a 1/2 hour away.

So please do not listen to the bad reviews...nothing is ever perfect in life and if you are thinking it is you have a major head problem!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and if you have a problem let them know but don't be rude about or you will of course will get bad service. I would do the same if someone was like that to me!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank iceberg2161

Dear iceberg2161,

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Just got back from the Barcelo and after reading the previous reviews I am wondering if they stayed in the same hotel. I could find no fault with the hotel at all. Arrival was fine checked in quickly and easily with a welcome drink at reception.

Room; Our room was lovely, it was spotlessly clean had everything we needed, the bed was so comfortable and the pillows I wanted to bring home, like sleeping on marshmallows. Bed was changed everyday as well as towels and bathroom bits and bobs.

Food; The buffet was extensive and I thought catered to everyone's taste I am a rather picky eater but I never got bored with what was on offer, the a la carte dinners were also of good standard and it was nice to break away from the buffet for a more romantic dinner.

Facilities; Pool was huge and more than enough loungers to go around and the beach was beautiful, it is a tad rough under the feet getting in the sea and a bit of a drop initially but then gets sandy, however, I would recommend bringing swim shoes as there are rocks and coral the further you go out and I cut my foot and had to buy shoes there. There was plenty going on around the pool and on the beach during the day if you wanted to get involved but if you wanted peace and quite it is spacious enough to get some. Snorkeling at the pier was amazing we bought our own gear in Tulum which was a fraction of the cost in the hotel or Playa de Carmen.

Entertainment; Loads to do during the day, there was a show on every night in the theatre, we even got to see a ballet they put on the nutcracker which I was very surprised to admit was very good. I was a bit upset I never got to see a mariachi band and then on my last day there a band turned up and played at the bar.

Excursions; can't really comment on these as we didn't book any as we wanted a quite relaxing holiday, the only thing we did book was Coco Bongo which was worth every penny and a great night out.

Getting about; the only way to get about was by collectivo, these are the local mini-bus and cost 30 peso's per person no matter where you are going. You can get cabs but why bother. The collectivo went from Tulum to Play del Carmen and stopped right outside the hotel (main road not reception).. If you are going to Tulum they expect you to get off at the ruins, which is fine if you are going to the ruins, but if you want a taste of the real mexico get off at Tulum Centro, it is a bit more like a poor mans Playa but you can buy your souvenirs here at a fraction of the costs in Playa. Another plus for the hotel is that it is only across the road from the cenotes or just jump on a collectivo to the ones further away. Apparently the most beautiful one is walking distance from the hotel and it saves you a lot of money to pay at the cenotes than book it through either the rep or hotel.

Overall; we had a fantastic time and I would recommend this to anyone, beautiful hotel, beautiful surroundings some fantastic wild life around, we saw monkeys, iguana's, sereque's a host of different birds, was amazing. I am currently trying to convince my husband that we should go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple