“No sympathy for the injured”
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Barcelo Maya Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Wayzata, Minnesota
“No sympathy for the injured”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I recently had reservations for two to the Barcelo however my husband was in an accident and was put in a back brace and was not allowed to travel, let alone fly. Prior to leaving, I tried to change my reservation to 6 months out or downsize to a single room. I had also upgraded to a better meal plan (which does no good because you can't get any reservations) and tried to remove that upgrade because it would only be myself traveling. The hotel wouldn't do anything for me. I even had a certified letter from his doctor. Once I got there, I tried again to downsize but they would hear nothing of it. I asked for some kind of credit, at the spa or events since there was only one person and I had paid for two but again they had no sympathy. The customer service was terrible and I would never upgrade to a better meal plan. I would never go back to this hotel again and do not recommend it for anyone. Very bad customer service!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank AnnP43626

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2012

What can I say!!! Stayed for 2 weeks, from Apr.23/12-May07/12. Love this resort. The beach, grounds, and pools are amazing. People complain about the food. I have Crohn's disease and never had a problem. Also, never had any issues with booking reservations for al a cartes. Very accommadating. Staff at this resort were wonderful. Knowing I did speak spanish, they were so happy to teach me. Enjoyed that. Cannot say enough about how wonderful I was treated. If you treat people with respect they will treat you the same. For those tourists that are rude to the staff, shame on you. These lovely people work extremely long hours and very hard to make your stay pleasant. PLEASE give them some respect!!!!

Wish I was there right now. Looking forward to returning to Barcelo Maya Beach. Keep up the great work.

I will sum it up in 1 word----- PARIDISE

Room Tip: Stayed in the Tulum building, third floor. Very quiet building. For those with mobility issues the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank JDS26
Cedar Grove, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My wife and I went on a vacation just to get away with a couple from college. It was the first time the woman in the other couple had been to the ocean, let alone out of the country.

Couldn't have been happier with the value. We got a great deal on-line and couldn't pass it up. Our room was ready right away and were escorted there. It was kept clean every day, and there was really nothing to complain about room-wise.

Seeing as how we booked the lowest resort on the complex, we had limited food selections, but we were okay with that as we knew it going in. Food was average, nothing spectacular. I always love the fresh fruit, and like to try a couple of the local dishes. Being too daring for my own good, I ate a form of ceviche (raw seafood marinated in lemon juices and oils) and had to use a prescription I got before I left to keep myself out of the bathroom. Gotta love Montezuma's revenge. Otherwise, everything is fully cooked and no one else had any issues.

The resort is huge and you are able to walk to whole property. Lots of activities (physical and nonphysical) and things to do if you don't enjoy sitting with a book or belly-up to the bar all day. The evening shows in the theater are a real treat.

The staff is very friendly and take care of you the best they know how. Smoking is fairly prevalent, and there were a couple individuals who were not afraid to show what God have given them. Nothing wrong with it, just a disclaimer for those with children.

I've been to many resorts across the price spectrum, and we were able to pay much less than what we got when we traveled.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JAbeast
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Where to start? First off, our room wasn't ready on time. Had to wait an extra half an hour to get our room ready even though we have been waiting to be "checked in" for 4 hours. Staff at front desk are rude and don't speak English very well. But I looked past it. The pool bar is amazing and the music is always pumping. Even though it's the same music and same songs over and over again, I was happy with the fact that there was at least something. Beach volleyball is non existent in this place. The entertainers seemed more interested in getting with the single ladies then actually getting to know their guests. Waiters and waitresses also didn't speak English and just assumed that we spoke Spanish. The pool bar and in the area of the pool bar would run out of cups. Only two staff working at a very large pool bar. Staff are never smiling, never very friendly. The maids would only make the bed and mop the floor. There was always clean towels and the bathroom was cleaned but there were spiderwebs in the closets. The discoteca is amazing. Great music and a loads of people. Took the sea-doo out and Rafael was amazing! He should have been the entertainer! Such a great guy! Took the segways and it was a lot of fun. Hugo was a great guide! They had a little baby tiger on the resort come twice and you could take pictures with him. Very cute!

All in all, the resort is beautiful, the food is amazing, the weather was perfect. The main thing is that the staff need to actually speak English since they get a lot of tourists from USA/CANADA, and it wouldn't kill them to smile and be friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Anja M
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Amazing place the food was delicious! so much variety and and choices the staff were so friendly and made our trip special. the entire resort is so clean and maintained. so much stuff to see and do. The shows were so much fun and the cold corona on tap at every turn was sweet too. The best place my wife and i have ever been too. thanks barcelo for making our trip a great one. not one bad thing anyone can say about this place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple