USD 136
Barcelo Ixtapa(Ixtapa)
USD 304
USD 221
  • Breakfast included
Las Brisas Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
USD 143
Preferred Hotels
USD 279
USD 159
Bookit.com
USD 180
  • Breakfast included
Posada Real Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
USD 191
  • Pool
USD 200
USD 408
clubmed.us
1,215 results
All reviewstower bmexican resortlobby areadaily activitiesplaya lindaflea markettowel artpool chairsall inclusive packagecity busmexican nationalstortillasactivity staffhaving funweather was perfectbuffet restaurantbeach volleyball
Reviewed 20 February 2018

Loved this place. Rooms are clean and the ground are well kept. Food was fine. The staff really made us feel special.The activities staff were exceptional. Krystal for stretching and Zumba class, Raphael for aquafit, Giovany for cycle tour to Playa Linda, Uriel and Adriana as well. The bar staff were all very customer focused. I especially remember Gustavo in the main lobby and Hilario at the pool. At the buffet we had excellent service from many including Janeth and Rudolpho. I would recommend this to anyone, especially families as there were daily activities for the kids as well as a separate kiddy pool. We had a great time and an to return.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Diane F
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Dear Diane F,

We appreciate that you take the time to share your comments with other travellers. Please note that it is a pleasure for us to assist you with excellence and attentiveness every time you provide us the honor of welcoming you to our beautiful property "Fontán ixtapa" Thank you as well for providing the names of the staff that exceeded your expectations.I will share your comments with them.
We are working on renovations and we really will be waiting for your next arrival and see the changes.

Kind Regards...

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

I read a lot of reviews before I decided to stay, you just need to check your expectations before booking a 3 Star in Mexico. Period. This is a solid 3 Star.

Room:
I stayed in Room 420. The trick is to negotiate what you want when you arrive, otherwise you get a no-view room on the 1st floor. I tipped the guy at the counter and told him what was important to me: a room on the 4th floor or higher, with a balcony and an ocean view. And I got just that.
The rooms were outdated, the beds hard, but it was clean, the shower had amazing water pressure and
the AC worked well.

Note that not all rooms have a balcony, or a fridge.
If I could do it over I would definitely request a fridge to keep the water cold.
Food:
Not great. I’ve had better and worse at 3 Star hotels in Mexico. I do wish there had been a larger selection of food but I did find something to eat every day. Lots of seafood dishes. Not a lot of vegetarian options.

What I was most disappointed in was the lack of guacamole. I’ve never stayed anywhere in Mexico that didn’t have heaps of it at the snack bar.

The room service was surprisingly good. Chicken fajitas for the win! Just be careful as they tend to try and overcharge you - there is a set rate for all inclusive guests. 130 pesos for an appy, meal and dessert, as noted on the menu.

The a la carte was decent.

There are plenty of restaurants/bars right across the street when you get tired of the food.

Pools:
I spent my time at the adult only pool with the swim up bar. They do police and ask kids to leave, which was nice. The pool was always very busy. The swim up bar remains shaded for most of the day but does not have “seats”, which I thought was odd. The bartenders were very attentive and it was pretty easy to find a lounger.

Beach:
Fabulous. This was one of the main draws for me and it didn’t disappoint. It was near impossible to find a lounger, unless you were willing to get up at 5am and “save” a chair.

Staff:
Very customer service oriented. I was traveling solo and my maid went above and beyond by doing things like putting sunscreen on my back for me.

Activities/Entertainment:
I didn’t participate/attend any of the entertainment. However, they do announce everything (all day long) on a loud speaker. I didn’t love that.

Location:
Fabulous! Everything you need is right across the street. Grocery store, pharmacy, restaurants, bars, a huge market, etc.

The bus stops right outside the hotel, so you can easily get into Zihuatanejo or to Playa Linda in 15 minutes for 13 pesos.

Other:
This is a non smoking resort. I’ve never experienced this in Mexico. Great for the non smokers I guess.

All in all I had a great vacation and, for the right price, would stay at this resort again.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
6  Thank Angela C
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Dear Angela C,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your recent visit to "Fontán Ixtapa", and share a review about your experience. Your comments are very important to us and it help us to improve. As we can read, in general you enjoyed your stay and the lovely weather from Ixtapa. We will continue working on renovations as we did with the pools, restaurants and kids club to offer you a better service. You will be very welcome on your decission to visit us once again and see the changes....

We will be waiting for your arrival!!

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Just returned from a 1 week vacation at the Fontan - we traveled as a family with our 7 year old daughter. Our room was clean and the maid always made cool things with the towels that my daughter loved. We had a view of the ocean and a balcony on the 5th floor, it had a fridge and was always supplied with 3 waters daily.

The location is GREAT .... close to restaurants, grocery stores, ect. Everything you need. I would stay at this hotel again just for this reason!

The food is fairly good with several selections for a 3 star hotel. I wish they had bacon in the morning, however you could get bacon in your omelettes. Had a choice of 2 buffets with different theme nights in each. The larger buffet had a "kids club" that had options for children. My daughter usually made a ham sandwich and cereal for breakfast. She enjoyed the hotdogs and fries at lunch snack bar too. The al carte restaurant was very good, but could only go once with our package.

Beach is beautiful you can walk up and down it, go for massages there are even a few pubs a little ways down. The hotel however does need more lounge chairs on the beach. If you want one, you will need to be down to the beach before 7am to save them, otherwise you are out of luck. The bar service on the beach is fabulous and nice! The waves are stronger but you can still be in the water.

My biggest concern is the pool (children's) unable to utilize the adult pool as we were with our 7 year old. This hotel is VERY busy with mexican families, which is fine - however with so many children of differnet ages - I am not sure how clean the pool is. there were many children in the pool with diapers ... I think that swim diapers should be enforced. I saw several families remove the diapers at the pool then put there child in the pool without the diaper. The bathroom in the pool area had 2 stalls I would have assumed the line ups would have been extreme but never..... The entertainment staff did have many activities - but unfortunately pretty much everything was in spanish. My daughter did not want to participate in anything as nothing was encouranged in English. The music plays constant and loud from 7am till about 8 pm - that was a bit extreme.

Bar lines occurred but service and drinks were very good- fernando was wonderful. After the beach bars closed the lobby bar was only opened - there was no bar seating or anything so hard to meet new people. A few tables around lobby and large type couch, but very busy.

Weekends are crazy busy - lots of large Mexican families, kind of take over the resort
They have shows in the evening but we only went to 1 the circus night , we enjoyed it but was a little late to go with our 7 yr old as started at 9pm.

Overall I think this hotel is a very good 3 star hotel and good value for your money.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank RJA1010
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

Dear visitor,

Thank you for taking the time and let us know your experience at our Resort in this review. We are glad you have enjoyed your stay and had a good time.Comments like yours it help us to improve, we have been doing some changes because of you. We are just looking for you to be comfortable. We will continue working on renovations, that´s we invite you to visit us again in the future...

Best Regards....

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

FONTAN Ixtapa Beach Resort
Arrived January 25, stayed 7 days.
Right from the very start the girl at the check-in wanted to give us a second floor suite with no view and had lots of issues. When I saw that second floor room I was not excited about it. They showed me room 625 but it was not ready. Back in the lobby we paid 2800 pesos to get a better room in Tower B, instead the porter took us to 725…Tower A. What a ripoff! It was also room with issues … the drape did not close all the way, there was no white drape that comes before the heavy, dark drape that did not fully close and there was only one duplex in the bath and one shared duplex between the TV and the mini fridge, the facet was so short you had to place a hand in the bottom of the basin to wash one at a time (otherwise you’d get water In places you shouldn’t). The closet door fell off twice and the room generally does not have enough drawers for guests to place their belongings. Hangers were too few for two people in a double bedroom. The air conditioner worked okay and the ceramic tiles were clean, and there were no geckos or insects. However, the view was spectacular from sunrise until about 4 p.m. - unfortunately, from the room we could not see the sun setting.
The resort has some strong possibilities or positives, like the feeling of being in an all Mexican resort, with the vibrant colours, well maintained vegetation. There are pink Bougainvilleas, the vibrant yellow Mexican fire plant, the big tree named ahuehuete - their national tree (look for the tree with the crocodile carved in the sides and in the exposed roots), there are palms of the coconut and banana to name a few...), the old solid hardwoods are used for the lobby area. Otherwise, it’s an all cement structure. The Mexican foods that I ate I liked (local cheeses, fruits, vegetables, peppers, tortillas, salsas, etc.), they have friendly & accommodating staff, (kudos to Giovani and his activity staff and the bar staff, too!) it has a clean beach, fun daily activities, evening activities, and close proximity to many things in the commercial centre of Ixtapa. You are only a $N 12 peso bus ride to Zihua or a 120 peso taxi ride to or from Zihua.
The Fontan has but one a la carte restaurant, which in hindsight, I probably would not have gone had we not been free that night. So we dined with friends we recently met. We enjoyed the salads, soups, the main dishes, and I had a dessert (apple strudel with ice cream). When there is a breeze from the north you’ll get a very foul odour coming from a sewer or a container full of human waste. One sniff and you are not hungry any more.
More Advice: bring your own thermal drinking container. They serve you drinks in plastic glasses which have been washed and/or rewashed. On weekends it gets very busy at the bars, so order two or three refreshing drinks at once. Modelo Especial and negro beers are on tap.
The resort’s massage Spa is on the beach near the Miramar Restaurant, and ask for Betty b/c she’s one of the best for the pesos you pay.
Renovations:
There is no way to hide it. They are renovating Tower A. The last two days our room was surrounded by men buzzing around with construction equipment. When we got back from spending all day by the pool/beach at 6:30 pm, they’ll still be hard at it! It took a face to face confrontation between guests and one confused Mexican worker (and the architect (?)). I found out they were adding a swag lamp to each room?!! Is that all? I can think of several things that architect can suggest and plan for the room renovations. Here goes: add more electrical outlets in the living/sleeping area, build more drawers into the wall, add supplemental lighting to the shower as well as a exhaust vent AND remove the plastic shower drape and put a sliding plexiglass divider instead.
My advice to Canadians is to get a room in Tower B. What’s good for the locals is good for us too!
Yes, most certainly I would go back to the Fontan in the future. You get what you pay for at this beautiful beach resort. Paradise found in Ixtapa.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank U-dub-el-yoo
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2018

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience in "Fontán Ixtapa". We are truly sorry for the room inconveniences. Your comments are very important and it help us to improve. About the rooms, we are actually working on renovations, and all this is just because we want to offer you a better product that you deserve. We are sure that you will find something new in your nex visit, your impression is gonna be different once you see this changes...

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

First timer on a hot vacation, randomly selected ixtapa and randomly selected this hotel, as it was a great deal for what I wanted to spend!
I have not been disappointed at all, the check in staff were wonderful and we got an ocean view room as requested!
So many activities if you wish to participate and endless food and beverages! Beach service drinks are amazing and never stop! And even WiFi on the beach!
Cleaning staff do a great job and I love the towel animals in my room each day!
Sand, ocean, sunsets and incredible people working here - I will return for sure and I encourage everyone else to as well!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank 865jodib
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderfull review. We are glad to know that you choose us to spend your first time vacation in the pacific ocean! Our main purpose is to make feel comfortable. We will continue working on room renovations.

On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to thank you for your kind comments about our beautiful resort and we look forward to your next visit...

Best regards....