1,471 results
All reviews mexican resort playa linda lobby area daily activities flea market pool chairs tortillas mexican food having fun weather was perfect beach volleyball vacationers franks peso crocodiles zumba
Reviewed 27 March 2016

I visited the hotel during the week of Semana Santa for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I prefer 3 star hotels so this hotel suited me perfectly. My room was clean, the bed comfortable, the food and bar service were not disappointing. The best part of my stay was the hotel staff who were all very friendly, probably the friendliest and happiest staff I've ever experienced. I arrived by bus at 0615 am, I went straight to the hotel. The night manager was finishing up closing out the previous day's accounts and told me that I could do early check-in after 7am. Sure enough, they had an available room and I completed early check-in free of charge. Of course I wasn't fussy about what room I got, I don't really care about the view since I'm rarely in my room anyway.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Jultime61
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2016

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share comments about your experience. We are really glad to know that your stay with us was enjoyable. Your positive comments make us keep working trying to reach the excellence on service. We do have the option if you arrive before the check in time and the room is available, certainly you can have it.

Thank you once again, we hope to see you soon in the near future....

Reviewed 20 March 2016

This is at least my 5th time at this hotel. Have come back because of the way I was treated the 1st time. This time was different in many ways. The front desk, after my insistence, got me the rooms that I wanted and thought I had booked through their head office, but with too big a price for the upgrades, approx. $200. Cdn for each room. But I was still happy. My 2 adult daughters and their husbands were arriving the next day and I wanted everything to be perfect for them, but why their upgrades included full kitchens and dining rooms escaped me at the time, as we were all inclusive. But I had their rooms next to me, so I thank the front desk staff very much. The service from the cleaning staff and restaurant staff was also very good. After that, it all went down hill. I can no longer recommend this hotel to non- Mexican people. The entertainment sucked. Most times there was NO English spoken, 2 nights appeared to be just Karaoke, with mostly Spanish spoken and not even translated for the Canadians and Americans that were there. During the week it was not much better, still the same It was on the weekends even tho most of the guests seemed to speak only English. The hotel just treated us as filler until the Mexicans arrived for their long weekends. They used to have a wonderful troupe of entertainers who put on a very professional show 6 nights a week. Now there is karaoke. As we were on the 8th floor, and they happened to be retiling the roof, my deck had dirty pieces of the old roof on it every evening when we came up to it. The last straw for me was the most ignorant security guard that I have ever met. He decided 1 day to just start harassing all 5 of us and actually told the bartender to cut us off. As the bartender knew how much he had served us and knew we could not be at all intoxicated he refused to do so. I believe the so called security guard didn't like tattoos, and 4 of the 5 of us have numerous tattoos. And by the way, I am a professional security guard and would never have treated any person as he did. He does not deserve his job. He even forbid us to take lounges onto the sand where there were exactly 21 there already and lots still by the pool, on a day that there were only approx. 30 people in total around the pool. The only thing we wanted to do was to get together as a family, have a good time, and pay tribute to my son, who loved coming to Ixtapa for a holiday, but couldn't make it this time. I will not go back to this hotel and will NOT recommend it.

Date of stay: March 2016
2  Thank Dan S
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2016

Dear guest,

We would to thank you for taking the time to share your review. We apologize for not meeting your expectations in this visit and for the inconvenience with the roof repair, you must understand that it is for you own comfort. The security guard was only doing his job, is new government policy about no smoking in some areas and we are truly sorry if he did not let you know in a properly way. Your opinion is very important to us, we will take actions to improvement.

We have some changes plan, and we would really like to have the opportunity to have you back. Best regards....

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We spent a week of vacation here and definitely loved it. Location is great, only 20 mins from the airport and with shopping right across the street from the resort. The beach is one of the best I have been so far, smooth sand, no rocks (and no jelly fish either), makes for an amazing pleasure walk or run. Rooms were clean and beds good enough. No issues with the food. We were there with family and friends (fairly large group) so having daily activities was important and they had lots - games, exercises, sports, bike ride, shows etc keeping patrons engaged if they wanted to. The most outstanding experience was the service. From the front desk to the restaurant staff, everyone was excellent. It was a great experience!

Room tip: Ask for a room with ocean view and balcony
1  Thank Dele A
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2016

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share such a positive review. We are really pleased to know that you like the rooms and enjoy the activities and food. Your opinion encourage us to continue providing memorable experiences. We will be really glad to have you back in the near future.

Thank you again. Best regards....

Reviewed 18 March 2016

This hotel is situated perfectly on the most beautiful beach I've ever been on. It's a nice little hotel with a great selection of pools. The room was spacious and super clean. Everything worked and worked well. The hotel's website states that every room has a terrace. This isn't so. Every fourth room or so is without one. I was lucky enough to have one in rm 533. Every day there were 2 bottles of water left in my room and the towels were always folded into animals with fresh flowers incorporated into it. So beautiful. Also the in-room safe was free and so nice to have. Big shower and plenty of hot water. Fast elevators and pleasant staff. I have found if the traveller is nice, so is the staff. If "we" are rude, why should the staff be any different. Just how I feel anyway.
The negative. I found the food awful and I'm not picky. Every day the same selections, chicken in some sort of sauce, bone in and hacked into unrecognizable chunks, tasteless fish in sauce, bland sloppy food. Really got tired of it. The biggest annoyance was the constant LOUD activities director. On his microphone all day and night in Spanish. Very very unnecessary. This hotel caters mostly to Mexican families and that's cool but most of the loud music was what Mexican folks probably wanted to hear. Walked from one end of the beach to the other several times and the Fontan was the only hotel where you could actually hear the noise on the beach. It just comes off as cheap.
Serious lack of bars here as well. One was open most of the time and BUSY, the other by the snack bar was rarely open. Never ever knew why. Only one al a carte restaurant. Very slow. Allow yourself 2 hours, it's very pretty (an outdoor place facing the street). Here you will find very slow inattentive waiters with an attitude.
The place is beautiful but I'm not sure I would stay at the Fontan again. The hotel is a solid 3.5 but the food was not better than a 2. Took a tour arranged by our Air Canada rep. at the hotel but it was misrepresented, that is, one half of the tour as it turned out was unavailable (an animal reserve) so we were taken to a lovely small town with a wonderful church but then corralled down a street with stall upon stall of gold items for sale. Not what I signed up for. I managed to get half of my money back. The ruins were great but I would not have taken the tour if I'd known.
Ixtapa is good but I don't know if I would return and if so, another hotel would be my choice.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Dolores L
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2016

Dear guest,

We would like to thank for taking the time to share your opinion. We are pleased to know that you liked your room and decoration with towels that the maid kindly made for you. We are truly sorry you have appreciated that the staff is rude, always we try to provide good service to all our guests with no exceptions. We regret that the food did not exceed your expectations, every day, we try to have a different menu for your comfort. For a la carte service we do not have only our restaurant hacienda, we also have the Miramar restaurant, except weekends when occupancy is high. Sorry about the perception that the servers are not attentive, in other recent reviews of other travelers say the opposite. We have different activities all day for our guest’s entertainment (bingo, water polo, dance lessons ...) that is why my partner had to announce them in microphone for startup information. The activities are advertised in English and Spanish, and involved all our guests alike. The main pool bar and lobby are open every day except snack bar area that opens only on weekends or when occupation is high.

We have remodeling plans starting this year, we hope you give us the opportunity to have you back in the future. Best regards

Reviewed 7 March 2016

We've been to Ixtapa before but decided to take a chance on a more inexpensive hotel. We booked at the Fontan and we are very satisfied. We had read the reviews and walked by before on previous trips. On check in Luis was very helpful excellent English. Front desk was fast and efficient. We exchanged Can $ to Pesos, never had to wait because they didn't have $. Rooms were always clean. Plenty of towels even face clothes. I found the beds very comfortable. We had a small kitchen. Hot plate , microwave and fridge. Yes the hotel is dated, bathrooms need to be redone and some new decorating. This will all be done in 2 years time. Renovations outside and pool/restaurants will be starting this spring. Plenty to pick from for breakfast. I'm not a fan of buffets for supper and lunch so I ate at the a la carte's. Food was always good. Also had 2 good meals at La Hacienda. Pool bar staff were great. Always hard working but happy and very pleasant to talk to. Special thanks to Jeorge Sabastian and the activity staff. We never had the mad scramble for pool chairs except when it got busier on Friday and Saturday with local tourists. I was told that after the renos there will be more chairs. The local tourists were all great. If you don't like locals feel free to travel elsewhere you are the guest in their country. All in all I would definetly consider the Fontan again. I'm looking forward to seeing it all renovated. To the Manager please pass on my thanks to your staff especially the ones I mentioned.

Room tip: 820 had a view of the ocean and a kitchenette and balcony but 2 double beds which isn't a big deal.
3  Thank Cheryl S
Miguel C, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Fontan Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2016

Dear Cheryl,

We appreciate your positive review and the recent visit to Fontán Ixtapa. We are pleased to know that you had a enjoyable experience during your stay with us. We will take care of the point that you mentioned and we will take proactive steps to avoid similar situations in the future.
We do have remodeling plans, and we will really be glad to have you back and see the changes for yourself.
I will be sharing your comments with my partner Jorge Sebastián and all the staff as we continue on our mission to keep working on deliver memorable experiences.

We hope to see you in the near future.