“Beautiful place to study and play!”

Instituto de Lenguajes Puerto Escondido
More attraction details
Owner description: Puerto Escondido Spanish Language School offers the best quality Spanish lessons, cooking lessons, salsa dance lessons & surf lessons, as well as a variety of onsite accommodation options: homestays with local families, bungalows on the school grounds & studio apartments. We also provide a variety of fun trips and excursions including rock climbing trips, lagoon trips and orientation tours of Puerto Escondido.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My boyfriend and I stayed in an onsite Bungalow in March 2018 and I took Spanish lessons everyday.

The accommodation: We are on a 12 month trip through North,Central & South America so decided on a budget bungalow that Brian gave us a VERY good price on ($USD420) for 1 month. I'm not sure if this was due to it being low season, but whatever the reason, it was WELL WELL WELL worth it. The bungalow it self had a low ceiling (approx 6ft) which bothered neither myself or my bf as we are shorties, and it didn't have the spectacular view of some of the other bungalows, but all the other amenities were perfect. Having a kitchen means you can save money cooking your own meals. The kitchens are fully equipped with everything you need - including a blender so we could enjoy our daily breakfast smoothie and coffee plunger. The wifi worked well in the bungalow and, although no A/C, the fan provides adequate relief from the Puerto heat.

The location: The school is located in Playa Zicatela, only a 2 minute walk down to the beach - and all the bars/restaurants in the area. There is a small, family run restaurant called 'Brisa Del Mar' about 50m from the school (on the main road) that serves AMAZING food and very cheap - much more so than those on the beach itself. There is a big supermarket that is easily accessible by taxi ($35pesos) for supplies and an OXXO is also located 2 min walk for emergencies.

The lessons: I am happy to report that - after 4 weeks of lessons Mon - Fri (2hrs/day in week 1, then 1hr/day for the last 3 weeks), I have a very good "basic" grasp of Spanish that has served me well through Costa Rica & Nicaragua. I was a complete beginner so people are very surprised when I tell them I have only been learning for a month. I completely put this down to the quality of the teachers at ILPE. Both Heczar & Gabriel were excellent and complete professionals. They are patient and very good at explaining the differences between English and Spanish in a way that is easy to understand.

Salvador, who manages the day-to-day running of the school is a really cool guy and was aways happy to help with our little requests. Thanks for everything!

I was really looking forward to some Salsa dancing classes, however, unfortunately, the teacher had a broken rib while i was there, so that was my only disappointment. Otherwise, I would gladly go back to ILPE & Pto Esc as it is truly a special place!!

(And the resident dog Marlito is an absolute delight - big softie - and I was tempted to smuggle him home with me, I adored him that much!!!

All reviews
"iguana sanctuary"
"amazing location"
"language skills"
in 3 reviews
"minute walk to the beach"
"short notice"
"taking hours"
"salsa dance"

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We took 4 days of general Spanish to help build some basics and had a great time. Our teacher Gabriel was an absolute legend and taught us way more than we were expecting. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

If you're looking to learn or improve your Spanish, this is the place! Teachers are amazing and the school is very accommodating with scheduling classes to fit your schedule and not the other way around. You can't beat classrooms with ocean views, definitely come here for your Spanish needs :)

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Friends told me it was great & it is! I may stay for longer than a month just to get really fluent in such a painless way. The teachers make it fun & there are very few walls— just a gentle breeze, interesting conversation & excellent teaching . Accommodations are really comfortable & reasonable & the views are incredible . It is very central to all of the beaches, markets & action , yet quiet .

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 December 2017

Just returned from 3 weeks at the school, and it was an incredible experience. In fact, it's kind of hard to know what to say. Brian (the Director) and Salvador (his assistant) were uniformly helpful, thoughtful and kind. They sent excellent pre-trip materials that helped me find a discount airfare and made me comfortable in traveling to Puerto Escondido. The lodgings were fine, a bit on the rustic side compared to much of what we take for granted in the U.S., but inexpensive and with a terrific view of the Pacific.Since the bungalows are right on the school grounds, you are literally steps away from your classes. I had excellent teachers (they strive to rotate teachers weekly to give exposure to other teaching styles and accents) who were always well prepared.The school is one block off the beach, and you fall asleep to the sound of the waves.I don't see how you could do better - so, I am going back for another ten day stint in about two months.