“Home From Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Goudaguda
Chandoori Sai Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Goudaguda B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2017

Lovely place to stay. Leon welcomed us with lots of home made lemonade. This place is very well run and the food is fabulous and gave us a welcome break from spicy curry. Views and grounds are fabulous. Home made bread, pizza, lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. I was allergic to bananas so he made sure they were not around when I was. His apple pie is legendary. The ladies do your washing for a generous tip and come around mid afternoon for orders for tea and coffee. We went on fabulous walks through the villages. Really quiet and lovely cottages. Best night's sleep in ages. We left very early (before light) but Leon was up doing us toast and coffee and sent us off with bread and cheese and eggs. You MUST visit here.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Susan W

Reviewed 5 April 2017

We had such a wonderful time here with our children (age 15, 13 and 4). Leon is so sincere and kind - it felt like we were staying with family. Even with one child who was sick with fever and another who is gluten and dairy free, Leon was unfazed. He planned meals that we devoured. The famous Leon's Apple Pie and his home made pizza - is a worth going to Orissa for!
The rooms are big and airy. Super comfortable. The grounds are well maintained. The staff - the beautiful smiling 5 Paraja women from the near by village are a delight to watch as they go about daily duties.
Chandoori Sai is very well located in the middle of tribal communites so the markets are easy access and can be covered in day trips. Its so nice to come back to the ice cold glass of lemonade.

We booked the trip through Grass Routes and worked with Pulak who was wonderful as well.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are the similar. They are all lovely.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Roopi S
Reviewed 14 March 2017

After a pleasant overnight train ride from Bhubaneshwar, we were met by Mr D who took us to Chandoori Sai. I'd seen the photographs, etc., but it was more beautiful and quiet than I'd even imagined. Leon, the owner, greeted us warmly and took us to a lovely big room overlooking the garden with spectacular views of the glorious countryside around us. Leon runs the place so efficiently with his lovely girls from the village - they are like a big family - and it was all so comfortable, yet informal. There were only a few other guests (I think there are only five rooms in all) and we all got on very well. And Leon was such good company - lots of jokes and laughs - and if you go there, you will never forget his special apple pie and the delicious lemon drink of which I drank gallons. Nearby is a charming tribal village who make their living from pottery - we saw the whole process of collecting the clay, moulding, firing and finally taking these beautiful big pots to the weekly market. Mr D took us on spectacular walks through the countryside around, amongst the mango trees and rice fields. It was all heaven and back in England I can't stop thinking about it and them all there. Camilla and I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Boo0238
Reviewed 25 January 2017

Such a delight to be here. The trouble that Leon took to ensure everyone was looked after was very special. I loved the little touches that made me feel spoilt such as being hunted out to give me chai and a delicious cookie. Delicious food and great company at dinner. Loved the way you could wander in and out of the kitchen and ask for some coffee or chai if you fancied it and it never seemed to be too much trouble. Incidentally the chai is delicious and the very best I've had on this trip to India. Leon is a lovely man and a great host. And makes jolly good apple pie too! The Paraja girls are full of smiles and I'm sure it's because they're happy too. A lovely atmosphere and a true delight to visit. Thanks Leon

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brightonpoppy50
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Leon is your host, built the place, designed huge rooms and had dozens of local village potters set up camp outside to make the glazed terracotta tiles you see everywhere. The local tribal ladies cook for you and swirl through the place in their colourful saris. Your laundry comes back perfect and is done by hand (a group tribal shared job) around the well - with gaggles of gossip, giddy giggles and tribal tones. Ever so sweet and shy, they local Paraja ladies cook in a spotless (western style) kitchen and produce gourmet food. I am gluten free and Leon catered for me at every meal - best desert I have ever had. I had the same desert 3 nights in a row. Fresh ground BREWED COFFEE is on offer, as is fresh baked cookies daily and hot crusty bread. The wi fi is decent and you are invited into the kitchen to cook anything you wish (for me, gluten free pancakes) - I took my own red rice and coconut flour with me and in all my travels in India I have never been invited into a kitchen to cook - I felt right at home. Fresh lime juice is avail every day and the local Paraja ladies will track you down when you come in bedraggled from some wild excursion and offer you that fabulous lime juice. Stay a min of 3 days - plenty to see, you can arrive by train, guest house will arrange pick up or as I did, come with your own Puri driver/guide and I highly recommend Grass routes - Pulak (local Orisha) and Claire (Australian) to take care of all your needs. There are 5 rooms only and I think there is an extra cottage - so dinners are shared on a long table allowing for a social dinner experience meeting the most fascinating travellers who somehow find this place too. The potters village is next door - Monday is fire kiln day - (earthen oven in the ground) - don't miss it. Get there between 7 and 9 am to see the action . Walk in the hills at sunset through the eucalyptus groves and be bewitched by Goudaguda village and YES - there is even Gouda cheese in the fridge - plus imported prawns, capers, dates, cashews, mustard and home made pie as good as grandma bakes. The sweetest thing of all is Leon walks the girls home at 8 pm after dinner and is back in 5 minutes - that is mark of a true gentleman who cares for his staff . You will adore this place - stay longer.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank stephtravelwriter

Been to Chandoori Sai Guest House? Share your experiences!