“One of the most special places I've visited in India”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Goudaguda
Chandoori Sai Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Goudaguda B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 March 2017

After a pleasant overnight train ride from Bhubaneshwar, we were met by Mr D who took us to Chandoori Sai. I'd seen the photographs, etc., but it was more beautiful and quiet than I'd even imagined. Leon, the owner, greeted us warmly and took us to a lovely big room overlooking the garden with spectacular views of the glorious countryside around us. Leon runs the place so efficiently with his lovely girls from the village - they are like a big family - and it was all so comfortable, yet informal. There were only a few other guests (I think there are only five rooms in all) and we all got on very well. And Leon was such good company - lots of jokes and laughs - and if you go there, you will never forget his special apple pie and the delicious lemon drink of which I drank gallons. Nearby is a charming tribal village who make their living from pottery - we saw the whole process of collecting the clay, moulding, firing and finally taking these beautiful big pots to the weekly market. Mr D took us on spectacular walks through the countryside around, amongst the mango trees and rice fields. It was all heaven and back in England I can't stop thinking about it and them all there. Camilla and I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Boo0238

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Such a delight to be here. The trouble that Leon took to ensure everyone was looked after was very special. I loved the little touches that made me feel spoilt such as being hunted out to give me chai and a delicious cookie. Delicious food and great company at dinner. Loved the way you could wander in and out of the kitchen and ask for some coffee or chai if you fancied it and it never seemed to be too much trouble. Incidentally the chai is delicious and the very best I've had on this trip to India. Leon is a lovely man and a great host. And makes jolly good apple pie too! The Paraja girls are full of smiles and I'm sure it's because they're happy too. A lovely atmosphere and a true delight to visit. Thanks Leon

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brightonpoppy50
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Leon is your host, built the place, designed huge rooms and had dozens of local village potters set up camp outside to make the glazed terracotta tiles you see everywhere. The local tribal ladies cook for you and swirl through the place in their colourful saris. Your laundry comes back perfect and is done by hand (a group tribal shared job) around the well - with gaggles of gossip, giddy giggles and tribal tones. Ever so sweet and shy, they local Paraja ladies cook in a spotless (western style) kitchen and produce gourmet food. I am gluten free and Leon catered for me at every meal - best desert I have ever had. I had the same desert 3 nights in a row. Fresh ground BREWED COFFEE is on offer, as is fresh baked cookies daily and hot crusty bread. The wi fi is decent and you are invited into the kitchen to cook anything you wish (for me, gluten free pancakes) - I took my own red rice and coconut flour with me and in all my travels in India I have never been invited into a kitchen to cook - I felt right at home. Fresh lime juice is avail every day and the local Paraja ladies will track you down when you come in bedraggled from some wild excursion and offer you that fabulous lime juice. Stay a min of 3 days - plenty to see, you can arrive by train, guest house will arrange pick up or as I did, come with your own Puri driver/guide and I highly recommend Grass routes - Pulak (local Orisha) and Claire (Australian) to take care of all your needs. There are 5 rooms only and I think there is an extra cottage - so dinners are shared on a long table allowing for a social dinner experience meeting the most fascinating travellers who somehow find this place too. The potters village is next door - Monday is fire kiln day - (earthen oven in the ground) - don't miss it. Get there between 7 and 9 am to see the action . Walk in the hills at sunset through the eucalyptus groves and be bewitched by Goudaguda village and YES - there is even Gouda cheese in the fridge - plus imported prawns, capers, dates, cashews, mustard and home made pie as good as grandma bakes. The sweetest thing of all is Leon walks the girls home at 8 pm after dinner and is back in 5 minutes - that is mark of a true gentleman who cares for his staff . You will adore this place - stay longer.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank stephtravelwriter
Reviewed 15 December 2016

Chandoori Sai is the most beautiful and peaceful place to stay. Every inch is stylishly decorated with artistic designs, colours and local Indian crafts. The large surrounding garden full of trees and plants provided an idyllic haven to read and sketch.
Leon the owner welcomed us as if we were friends, and the food we ate was outstanding.
Being on the edge of a traditional pottery village gave a wonderful dimension to the stay, as we were able to amble down to the workshops and watch the villagers creating their skillful crafts, as well as have a go ourselves.
Whilst staying we were also taken on a long walk around the local hills, through eucalyptus woods, past rivers clean enough to swim in and through small traditional villages.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Abs B
Reviewed 29 November 2016

Chandoori Sai is a spacious, luxurious guest house with a layout like an old style colonial residence & beautiful garden. It is most efficiently run by Leon, it's Australian owner, & ably assisted by a retinue of local village women who help out with the cooking, laundry, odd jobs as & when required. Leon is most accommodating & friendly - it's worth the trip alone for the culinary delights he brings and apple pie each evening!. The guesthouse itself is very clean with comfortable rooms, set next to the local village in a green, verdant valley. The walks in this beautiful part of Orissa will stay with me & I can hardly wait to go back & unwind again. Top marks all round! Thank You Leon & ladies! Carlo, from London

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious, clean, with en suite bathroom and quiet nights