“Hard to beat location, but otherwise meh”
Review of Hotel del Portal

Hotel del Portal
Ranked #49 of 103 Hotels in Puebla
Reviewed 19 October 2015

An unbeatable location on the cathedral square in the heart of Puebla, but otherwise pretty average place. Our room was somewhat small and crowded, and street noise beginning around 6am was a problem (our room overlooked the street rather than the zocalo). Breakfast pretty average. Staff very courteous and helpful. Not expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street will be noisy in the morning
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 September 2015

The hotel's position right in the main square turns this place into a real tourist-trap; and most of the people leave after the first night, once they realize that there are a lot of better, nicer, cheaper and better attended hotels just around the corner, and without all the noise of this place. The rooms are small, old and smelly; the price is just too high (up to 50% higher than other hotels around the area); the rooms overlooking the main square or street are extremely noisy and, last but not least; breakfast will be the worst disappointment of your holiday, as it includes coffee, bad old orange juice, a hard slice of overtoasted bread and a tiny piece of butter that hasn't been in the fridge for the last 2 weeks.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank realworldtraveller
Reviewed 8 August 2015

Stayed at this hotel and I was quite impressed with the cleanliness and comfort of the room. The toilet was actually sanitized before my arrival and there was actually a strip of paper (like a seal) stating the same.
I didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food here. Also we left quite early in the morning so wasn't able to stay for breakfast.
There was quite a bit of noise early in the morning as though someone was screaming- don't know what that was about....

Room Tip: There are tons of spectacular restaurants and bars here. No need to eat in hotel
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2015

It is located right around the corner from the central square, surrounded by a variety of restaurants and antique and candy shops. The zone is safe, there's policemen everywhere. However, I found it uncomfortable for the price. The beds, for example, were hard, the cable did not work well: not a single tv station could be seen clearly, and the wifi was weak. The rooms all face inside, so you feel like in a prison, although that's good if you don't like the noise. The worst part for me was the fact that they called me at 6:30 to wake me up, but I never requested such thing!!

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2015

I chose this hotel based on location and the price. I arrived, front desk spoke little English (if that matters). I requested a room looking outside. I was given a room that had a little balcony that faced the side street, not the square which was fine with me. However, the room was not at all updated, it was old and felt overall dirty. I arrived very late so I just took it. I only booked for one night and the next day I decided to stay an extra night. I asked at the desk and they quoted me off the street rate, they would not match my hotels.com rate. So I ran up to my room, made the reservation on hotels.com and then came back downstairs and presented them with the confirmation number. I also asked for an updated room and all they had was a room that faced into the interior courtyard. The room had a window maybe 2' by 4' so yes, it did feel somewhat like a prison cell. But the bathroom was very nice, clean and updated. The room was very quiet because it did not face onto a street. Hot water worked and it was great to walk out of the hotel onto the Zocalo.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo