All reviews business trip heated pool platinum ambassador head concierge big restaurant club room offer complimentary the mexican restaurant executive floor avenida juarez another guest room service great property bit dated other hotels downtown puebla nice restaurant
Reviewed 23 October 2017

The hotel is an old property but this should not affect your stay here. The rooms are decent. The cleanliness is decent. Every room has a balcony. We got ours with a view towards popocatepetal. However, could not catch the view as it was cloudy. The bed is nice, soft and comfortable. The hotel has a heated pool which was good but the service for the towel took some time. But we can ignore that. overall a beautiful hotel to stay in at a reasonable cost.

Room tip: ask for a higher floor with a view of popocatepetal
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2017

This hotel has an excellent standard, as I already posted.
However, there is an aspect I must point out, which can be very annoying: the constant “pro-tip” attitude of some waiters.
All staff are very nice and friendly, but there seems to be a ubiquitous and constant attitude towards tipping (the word for tip in Mexico is “propina”, so that you are familiar with what I am posting).
A specific example is what happens during breakfast. I always book my room with breakfast. This means, when I check in, I receive “breakfast-tickets” for my entire stay. In the breakfast-tickets, the following information is included: name and surname, date, room number, and my signature.
When I arrive at the breakfast room, I deliver the breakfast-ticket to the waiters. Still, when I leave, they insist to make me sign a bill, where I need to write down my name, my room number, and sign it… this is redundant. Once I asked one of the waiters the reason for this, the answer was:
“You can give us a tip, sir”.
Thus, the whole purpose of the bill-signing process is just to tip them…
I have explained the waiter that I have the breakfast included in my stay, and that I help myself of everything, therefore I see no reason to leave any tip.
For your better understanding: this hotel has a self-service buffet, where you help yourself of everything. I am a very independent person, and like to take care of myself. This is the normal standard in Europe and I am used to it. Of course, the waiters will always offer themselves to serve you coffee, or get you “anything else”. Which I do not need to accept, since the buffet is so generous, that I can get everything myself. Still, the waiters come repeatedly to the client’s table, and ask every five minutes if “everything is OK?” and “can I bring you anything else?”…
In one of the days (it was already after the short dialogue mentioned above), as I was leaving the breakfast room, a waiter came ridiculously crossing the breakfast lounge running after me, to get the bill signed and hoping to get his tip…
Please stop this procedure! It is very annoying and sad. A hotel of your category does not need to promote this culture among waiters. Pay them a bit more, in order to relieve them from the pressure of constantly trying to be tipped.

Room tip: If you don't like to travel by lift ask a room in ground floor (no stairs between levels except the emergency exits).
Date of stay: October 2017
1  Thank PauloBaptista
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Intercontinental stands for quality, fine restaurants and great service, and this hotel has them all.
Everybody was very helpful and nice, rooms are big and confortable
Restaurants for breakfast are normally good, dinner at its big restaurant was very good but not great.

Date of stay: February 2017
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I've been coming to this hotel since October 2016 for at least a week per month (on average). They offer complimentary valet parking for people driving themselves. It's on a great location if you're wanting to step out to go downtown Puebla or the famous Ave. Juarez (great restaurants there).
The people are great and the service is awesome. Special thanks to Maria Fernanda and her colleagues Yuori (probably misspelled his name though) and Aurelio.
There really aren't any bad rooms in the hotel, I've had several at different floors and different sides of the hotel. Only thing I have noticed over time that there are some showers that take a while to warm up.

There are 2 restaurants in the hotel and also a separate menu for the bar. You can order food from all restaurants in the bar though. Personally I like the Italian restaurant the best, the Mexican restaurant has good food but I haven't eaten there often enough. But if you want something simpler the bar menu is good too (I challenge people to eat the Dream On Burger and finish it).

I have 2 issues with this hotel, if you're willing to call them that:
1. For some reason it seems that the hotel isn't very good in maintaining their inventory of beverages (simple Negro Modello they ran out for 2-3 days). For a hotel this class (highest in IHG group) they shouldn't have this issue. I raised this issue with one of the managers (Stephania I believe) and the issue was resolved the next day, so good job on that.
2. The internet is just horrible. I think 3G on my iphone is faster than their internet. When I asked though, they are working on upgrading all the rooms and have started on the 1st and 2nd floor. So hopefully when I'm back this issue is mute.

Then I have a sidenote for management. The owner of the hotel should really treat his people with more respect. I understand he is the owner but there is no reason for him to wistle / snap his fingers to people serving while they are helping other guests. If anything, the owner should have more patience than guests.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

This was the first time that I've been staying overnight in Puebla. I must say that it has been worth to stay at this location. Old traditional style outside, but at a very model style with every kind of facilities you may imagine. I had an excellent room at a reasonable price and I definitely can recommend to everybody who is traveling to Puebla and intend to stay there.