We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose del Cabo
La Fonda del Mar Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 28 June 2015

I loved this place. It is so very unique and just a wonderful piece of paradise. My longtime gal-pal and I left the families at home and had a 5 night girls getaway. We were so pleased with our stay.

The property is along a quiet stretch of beachfront homes and a rental car is a must. It's a great way to get out and explore this little bit of heaven though. It's the first time I have gone to Mexico and not stayed at an all inclusive (I've been a dozen times total) and I will certainly do it again. This is the opposite end of the spectrum, but just as pleasing. It's a bed and breakfast, not a hotel. It's great, because it does have a wonderful restaurant and you can eat here three meals a day except Sunday (closed for dinner). It's also totally solar powered so it's got some unique features - fewer towel changes, reminders to keep the fans and lights off when you're not in the room, but totally special and a nice way to relax and experience something different.

We had the double room and it was so perfect. We thought it might be a bit hard to share the shower, but it was never an issue - it was never busy when we wanted to use it and just a few steps from our room. Each room has a large window with shutters and we kept it open each night and had such a wonderful breeze. We did close it as the sun rose in the morning as we wanted to sleep in a bit. Lovely, perfect. So very relaxing.

The staff here are wonderful. They keep the rooms so clean, the grounds so beautiful. Really wonderful people who care so much about the comfort of the guests. The owner, Paul is just wonderful. He took great care of us and always made sure we had everything we need. They have beach chairs and umbrellas that you can use to spend your days on the beach right behind the B&B. The water is beautiful, though rather rough so unless you are a very strong swimmer, it is not a good idea to jump in. It is, however, a great place to sit under an umbrella and read a book with a cold drink in hand. Great place to catch a few rays and generally just to kick back and let your cares slip away.

The beds are very comfortable and there is a sink in the room so you can get ready and wash up easily. The toilet is in a small room, right next to a small set of shelves and a rack to hang up a few items. There are foot lockers at the end of the beds which were perfect to keep a small suitcase on and easily access your belongings. Pack light - it's very casual and nothing dressy is needed. The value is excellent, with breakfast up to a certain price point included in the rates and the breakfasts are so large and delicious.

Wifi is available and I found the connection good, even from our room. I didn't bring a computer, just my phone so I could check in if needed and we looked up a few places, but other than that, stayed off the grid.

Highly recommended, just a wonderful place. Hope to get back next year and bring the family this time.

Room Tip: It's a small B&B, all the rooms are excellent!!!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 April 2015

I stayed here for 2 nights - loved my room, didn't mind that the shower wasn't in my room. I was impressed with the cleanness and simple charming decor of the room. I like the way the B&B were separate from the Bar&Grill (Buzzard's) but very close and convenient. Food was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and caring. But the host, Paul,was the most impressive. Cares very much about his business and keeping his customers happy. I stayed here for 2 nights - didn't want to go anyplace else. The other nice thing was that the bar & grill stopped serving at 8:30 pm - If i wanted a party party until you're sick, i would have stayed in town - This is off the beaten path but still close to town.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2015

In my opinion, La Fonda del Mar is the optimal place to stay in San Jose del Cabo if you want to have both nature and city easily accessible. The property itself is right on the most beautiful (and deserted, at least while we were there) beach, and the B&B itself if very beautiful and comfortable--our room was beautifully decorated and very clean. There was no shower in our room, only a communal shower steps outside our room, but apparently they have a room with a private shower if that's important to you. On the property is Buzzards Bar, which is a really cute restaurant/bar where I had the most delicious breakfast I had the whole trip. The best part of staying here is that you are off the beaten path, but within easy access of the city. La Fonda del Mar is on La Playita, which is a very low-key and beautiful area that is a quick and easy 10 minute drive to San Jose del Cabo, which is just the most charming and art-infused city with great restaurants and many art galleries. Although I loved the city, I would quickly tire of lodging in it, while at La Fonda del Mar I could wake up in paradise, walk a few steps to a clean and quiet beach, eat a delicious breakfast (which is included btw) and then head into the city later on to wander around its charming cobblestone streets and drink some killer margaritas. Plus the owner, Paul, is just an awesome dude, who is very friendly, approachable and informative. My only regret is that I would've loved to stay there longer--me and my boyfriend froze our butts off in Cabo Pulmo when we could've been at the much warmer and way less windy beach at La Playita! We will definitely be back. Please note that they only take cash for lodging.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Based on the price, location, and nice room with charm, I'm giving this 4 stars. There is no ocean view direclty from the B&B - but walk 2 or 3 minutes and you are on the beach. Walk the beach away from the vacation homes and you have the long undeveloped white sand beach to yourself. This is a great place if you want to be away from the busy stuff. And the price of $88 (tax included) also included breakfasts. Be aware - they only take cash. The food is great! It is tricky to find, so get some good directions ahead of time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lois003
Reviewed 16 September 2011

i was staying at palmilla before i decided i needed a more rustic authentic baja experience. this place was green and eco chic before there was such a thing. if you require Aveda toiletries and a butler, this is not the place for you, but if you want to see how the locals do it, you can't beat la fonda and buzzard's restaurant a few steps outside your door. paul, who is the new owner, has a genuine smile and loves to keep a mellow pace, the freshest fish, and cold beer handy. the place is on solar, but you can charge your devices and use the wifi there no problem. paul will tell you how to get to all the beaches, markets, and wateringholes where only the locals go.

Room Tip: decide if you want the one with the private shower
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends