See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 April 2015

I stayed here for 2 nights - loved my room, didn't mind that the shower wasn't in my room. I was impressed with the cleanness and simple charming decor of the room. I like the way the B&B were separate from the Bar&Grill (Buzzard's) but very close and convenient. Food was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and caring. But the host, Paul,was the most impressive. Cares very much about his business and keeping his customers happy. I stayed here for 2 nights - didn't want to go anyplace else. The other nice thing was that the bar & grill stopped serving at 8:30 pm - If i wanted a party party until you're sick, i would have stayed in town - This is off the beaten path but still close to town.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank SimplyCin
Reviewed 9 January 2015

In my opinion, La Fonda del Mar is the optimal place to stay in San Jose del Cabo if you want to have both nature and city easily accessible. The property itself is right on the most beautiful (and deserted, at least while we were there) beach, and the B&B itself if very beautiful and comfortable--our room was beautifully decorated and very clean. There was no shower in our room, only a communal shower steps outside our room, but apparently they have a room with a private shower if that's important to you. On the property is Buzzards Bar, which is a really cute restaurant/bar where I had the most delicious breakfast I had the whole trip. The best part of staying here is that you are off the beaten path, but within easy access of the city. La Fonda del Mar is on La Playita, which is a very low-key and beautiful area that is a quick and easy 10 minute drive to San Jose del Cabo, which is just the most charming and art-infused city with great restaurants and many art galleries. Although I loved the city, I would quickly tire of lodging in it, while at La Fonda del Mar I could wake up in paradise, walk a few steps to a clean and quiet beach, eat a delicious breakfast (which is included btw) and then head into the city later on to wander around its charming cobblestone streets and drink some killer margaritas. Plus the owner, Paul, is just an awesome dude, who is very friendly, approachable and informative. My only regret is that I would've loved to stay there longer--me and my boyfriend froze our butts off in Cabo Pulmo when we could've been at the much warmer and way less windy beach at La Playita! We will definitely be back. Please note that they only take cash for lodging.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Based on the price, location, and nice room with charm, I'm giving this 4 stars. There is no ocean view direclty from the B&B - but walk 2 or 3 minutes and you are on the beach. Walk the beach away from the vacation homes and you have the long undeveloped white sand beach to yourself. This is a great place if you want to be away from the busy stuff. And the price of $88 (tax included) also included breakfasts. Be aware - they only take cash. The food is great! It is tricky to find, so get some good directions ahead of time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lois003
Reviewed 16 September 2011

i was staying at palmilla before i decided i needed a more rustic authentic baja experience. this place was green and eco chic before there was such a thing. if you require Aveda toiletries and a butler, this is not the place for you, but if you want to see how the locals do it, you can't beat la fonda and buzzard's restaurant a few steps outside your door. paul, who is the new owner, has a genuine smile and loves to keep a mellow pace, the freshest fish, and cold beer handy. the place is on solar, but you can charge your devices and use the wifi there no problem. paul will tell you how to get to all the beaches, markets, and wateringholes where only the locals go.

Room Tip: decide if you want the one with the private shower
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2010

My daughter and I just spent 10 days in Los Cabos.....for half that time I had the pleasure of staying at Buzzard's bar and grill (la fonda del mar B&B) on the fringe of the Mexican baja outback. The road ends at Buzzard's but it's only 30 minutes from the San Jose airport and 10 minutes from the mega store. Beyond this point 4 wheel drive and full tanks of gas are recommended, but the beaches, private coves, snorkelling, fishing and scenic beauty is outstanding.
I would highly recommend this small, friendly and quaint B&B if you like the idea of tiki shack cabana's on a secluded beach with no TV.no phones, no stress complete with an outstanding chef and interesting and gregarious host/owner Pablo.
For me this was an ideal relaxing, barefoot, sun and sand place to be....never any timeshare solicitation or high pressure sales pitches.
Also you like sport fishing like I do you are a panga ride away from Gordo Banks some of the best fishing in the world, ask for Jaymie at Cabo Playa fishing tours.
Also we arrived 2 months after the new Canadian owner Paul took possesion after purchasing Buzzard's from the original owners Denny and Judi.
For a natural, holistic, carefree holiday off the grid this is it!....but a vehicle is highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family