“Amazing trip!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New Jersey
“Amazing trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

First trip to Cabo and absolutely loved it! This was our first time at a Riu and the Riu Palace was a great resort and I would definitely go back. The hotel is in a great location 35 mins from the airport and a 5 minute cab ride downtown. To compare- we usually stay at all inclusives along the level of Secrets or Iberostar Grand. These are top notch resorts and the Riu cannot be compared to them, however, the service was much better than I had expected and I really have no complaints! The grounds are beautiful, the pools have amazing views and the rooms were very clean. There was a beautiful lobby and open air bars. This is definitely a mega resort, there were a ton of people here and a lot of rooms. If you are looking for a romantic atmosphere this place is definitely not "romantic" compared to other places. Out of all the places we have been, this place would have been the best to go with other people for a great time as a group.

The poolside drink service was the best I have ever had at any resort. They came around constantly making sure you had a drink if you wanted one. We stayed at the "quiet" pool during the week. My only complaint is that the towel hut is by the activity pool so you had to walk through the lunch buffet to get your towels. I would definitely recommend placing another towel area by the quiet pool and being able to get 4 towels instead of 2. It is VERY HOT here, you have blazing sun from morning to night, and the chair cushions get extremely hot and one towel does not cover the whole chair.

The weather was phenomenal. Never had I booked a vacation and had 0% chance of rain on every day of the 10 day weather forecast. This is the place to get married if you are having a destination wedding! No threat of rain here!

We are in our late twenties and there were definitely people of all ages there. Very few families or children there during our stay. I saw maybe 5-6 kids there during the week and they were all 5 and under. We usually do adult only so if you are trying to avoid kids I would avoid any major holiday week when the schools are off.

Food was delicious! We loved the breakfast buffet, all kinds of different foods and juices. The homemade guacamole and salsa were delicious!! The oj was a little strange, it didnt have the same consistency or taste as oj in the US. We never had any issues with making dinner reservations, in fact, we never woke up to get reservations. We made our first 2 nights reservations when we checked in and then just walked up to the desk at any random time during the day to make additional reservations. That being said we did not go to Krystal because the menu didnt appeal to us and that one has to be reserved the morning of. We went to the Japanese restaurant twice which was our favorite! Delicious sushi appetizer. We went to the steakhouse which was our second favorite and Mexican was last. I highly recommend going to town for dinner as well. We went to Maro's Shrimp House which was delicious!

Room was clean, mini bar was stocked every day. Other hotels Ive been to claim to restock everyday but they werent, this was. We emailed the resort ahead of time to ask for a quiet room on the 4th floor. I never heard any of the noise that many other reviewers complained about in the mornings and we had a normal king size bed, not two beds pushed together.

I never once did not feel safe here, in fact I felt as though this was the safest place I have been to (aside from Aruba). We took taxis downtown and went out to dinner and bars, walked around and went to the marina to take a water taxi. Water taxi was $8 pp from the marina to see El Arco- highly recommend. You can walk along the beach to get to the marina area but you are walking in direct hot sun. All in all, Cabo is a very fun place and you are definitely not chained to staying at a resort. Go out and experience it.

Many people said it would get cooler at night. I am always freezing and I never once wore a sweater or pants here, always a sun dress or tank top. Not sure if we had a warmer week or not. No issues with humidity or bug bites.

Only issue that we had was our clock in the room did not work properly. You couldn't set it and once you got it somewhat close to the correct time if you bumped it it would shut off. We called twice to get a new clock and both times they said someone would come with a new one and we never got one. At night, we had to calculate 5 hours ahead or however many hours it was off by on that day because the rooms are too dark to read a watch. Also, some nights the maids would come and turn down the bed and give us new towels and then other nights no one would show up.

All in all, no regrets! Loved cabo and loved the palace! Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Email ahead of time for a quiet room on a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dpturner16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,547)
  • Polish first
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We just returned from our second visit to the Riu Palace in Cabo and I thought it was more beautiful and a better place than I remember. The food was very good at the buffet with great variety. The Steak house, the Japanese and the Mexican a la carte restaurants were also very good. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The grounds are beautiful and there are no bugs to bother you. There is an activity pool and a second pool that is on the quiet side for reading and relaxing with a pool bar at both. The beach has coarse sand but is enjoyable to walk BUT it is not a swimming beach. People do go in swimming but the waves are very big and you must be an extemely strong swimmer to attempt a dip in the ocean. Cabo San Lucas is a $12 cab ride and San Jose is about $40. A water taxi from the beach into town is $15. Get up at 7am and enjoy the sunrise. We have been to the Riu Palace in Playa Del Carmen and this one is as good or better.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Panther67
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Well to start off, I always read reviews but have never posted anything before. I decided it was time, especially due to all the mixed reviews I've read. My husband and I are in our early 30's and we had a group of 60 ranging from infants - 73 years old. We had our wedding at the Riu and it was amazing, they did a superb job and no complaints .
We spent week 1 at Riu Palace and week 2 at Dreams. Without getting into too much details about Dreams, we would definetely return to the Riu but not to Dreams ( Primarily due to the location of Dreams - it was a $25 cab ride to Cabo from Dreams one way)

- First Impression: We all got off the bus and were greeted with a Welcome Cocktail. We then proceeded to the Check In Counter, and all were checked in a relatively short time. We did arrive at 11am , so some of the guest rooms were not ready, but that was expected as Check in was not until 3. I would say that at least half of the rooms were ready.

-The Rooms: We had the External Jacuzzi Suite, and it was just amazing! Very Spacious, large walk in Closet, large bathroom , Jet Tub, a balcony with 360 degree view , with spiral stairs going up to the External Jacuzzi, nice lighting, and 2 of your very own private tanning chairs.
I had not heard any negative things from anyone else. Our room was always clean, the service was great, Mini fridge always stocked. I did hear a few negative reviews on how hard the bed was , and I didn't notice it myself, I slept fine. The only negative thing I found with the rooms was the toilets. They had the low flush( I think it's called - to preserve water) but we found the pressure was not very good and we often had to the flush the toilet 2-3 times , thus, wasting much more water .

The hotel grounds were always immaculate and there were very few cups laying around. They were very good at keeping the grounds clean, the hallways were always spotless.

- The Service: I thought the service was top notch. From sitting around the Pool, to the buffet, the restaurants - No complaints.

- The Buffet: This is also a mixed review from a lot of Travellers. I really enjoyed the buffet , there were a lot of selection, and if you didn't want to venture out of your bacon and egg routine - then they prepare fresh omellettes at an omelette station, or fry, boil , poach, how ever you like them prepared. Every night, they had a theme night for the suppers , so that helped with the variety. They also had mariachi bands playing randomly at the buffet dinners.
The only thing I didn't care for at the buffets was the Orange Juice, it just didn't taste right to me, and also the Coffee - Can't quite put my finger on what was wrong with the coffee, but I just didn't like it. On that note, the coffee in the hotel room was good, I made a pot every morning and enjoyed it on my balcony. We did buy some Baileys at Duty Free, so it was the perfect combination for my morning.
One more thing to mention about the buffets. There is a ' lunch buffet' open at the Mexican restaurant daily that a lot of people are not aware of. We really enjoyed eating lunch here, it was an Italian buffet, so there were a lot of pasta and just different foods from the large buffets. It was a refreshing change if you want to mix it up. We all brought pills and stomach aids just in case of sickness, and we didn't have to use them at all.

- Pools: The Pools were great. There was an activity Pool which had music playing during the day and the entertainment team were constantly roaming around trying to get people to play water volleyball, and various other games. There was also a quiet pool , but to be honest, we didn't make it over there much. The pool bar always had lots of people. The only negative thing I found with the Pool Bar is that you couldn't get fruity slush drinks there , only beer, wine , and non blended drinks. The waiters were always around, but still a bit of a downer.
The one negative thing I would say about the resort, and it's quite minor in my opinion, is that there were no bathrooms close to the pool, it was quite the hike and I heard many people complain of this.

-The A La Cartes: I read a lot of complaints regarding having to wake up very early to make reservations . We had no problem making reservations at all. The only restaurant you have to make reservations day of - was Krystal. We had no problems, and if people are going to complain about waiting for 5 minutes, then there will always be complaints about something!
We ate at the Steakhouse, The Japanese, the Fusion ( Krsytal) . We didn't make it to the Mexican. We enjoyed all of them. I think my favorite being Krystal. We enjoy fine dining and it was suberb. The service was great ( they called us all by our first names) , presentation was great and the food was good. I read some reviews how people said they left hungry, but we didn't, I don't see how anyone can leave hungry with a 4 course meal.

We ordered room service a few times, and that was nice. They were always on time and the food was still hot and we would recommend doing this a few times for breakfast . It was nice just to sit on the balcony and enjoy the waves.

-Entertainment: Every night , there was a show at the entertainment stage. I personally didn't care for it much, they put a lot of effort and work into it , but it just wasn't my scene. With such a large group we were in, this is usually where we would meet in the evenings and just have some drinks. We had some younger and much older people in our group and they seemed to really enjoy it .
The Disco opened at 11 and we made it there a few nights. It was fun. They played a lot of top 40 songs, it was a little dark and smokey , but we had a great time.

- Location: The location was perfect in relation to Cabo San Lucas. It was a $3 per person cab ride to the marina. It was close to Medano beach as well, which is a lot of fun. Tons of restaurants and bars directly on the beach. We didn't know it was even there until towards the end of trip and wished we had , because we had a blast.

I think that's it. We ventured over to the Santa Fe one day and that was a very fun atmosphere, more of a big party. We would consider going there. The Palace was much better for the group we had though because we had some famillies and older couples.
We would definetely return here again.

Room Tip: We had room 3145 and it was perfect. It was our wedding/honeymoon suite. The views were impecable an...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Pashko
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

amazing trip!! First time in mexico, los cabos. My boyfriend and I had a fantastic time there, staff was amazing, will never forget a few that's for sure. Food was really good at the buffet however we got sick of the same food everyday, still amazing food though! we had a ocean view room which consisted more of a partial ocean view, was not what my boyfriend had paid for, the room itself was terrible when we first got there, we weren't very pleased, the floor by the mini fridge was wet, and was sticky, we were exhausted upon arrival, and waited for our room for a couple of hours around the hotel, thus I was extremely frustrated to find a room that was not comforting for me. My boyfriend complained and explained our frustration, and amazingly, they moved us to a ocean front view room, which was breath-taking. Definitely reccommend the ocean front. Never the less, the staff was very accommodating. What we didn't like was the mini bar fridge that was not refilled everyday as stated that it would be, so we had to call or inform the front desk to bring refilled beverages up for us. The hotel itself was great, shows that was entertaining for the most part, and the pools were pretty empty considering - which was very nice, you didn't have to fight for spots at any given time of the day. This place is highly reccomeneded if you want to go for a nice relaxing vacation, very quiet hotel, minus usually in the morning, its quite loud with the house keepers having to clean and what not, I used ear plugs and worked like a charm if you plan on sleeping in. Excursions are highly reccomemded if you're not a huge drinker, but drinker or not, excursions were outstanding. This hotel is very close to downtown, which was very nice. Would definitely come back here, and is very worth it. Ps. horse back riding with the vendor was outstanding, find skinny mario, he's a fun guy, and totally worth the money, very cheap for horse back riding and so much fun!

Room Tip: ocean front view is the best! Don't forget to tip the housekeepers :) they do an amazing job. Sh...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank paoyu t
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

First warning I'd love to give is regarding the high octane sales pitches that are near impossible to escape at the airport (and any airport in Mexico for that matter). Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stop and speak with anyone until you get completely outside at the airport. They will all tell you they handle your transportation - NOT SO - it's all about time share sales. The transport/transfer people are all standing outside the last exit door at the airport (in the open air). If you book with RIU, the airport-hotel transfer is very reasonable - $20 for two/roundtrip (not inc tip).

This is the 5th RIU (4th Palace) I've visited. In comparison to other RIU Palace hotels, the food was not really up to par. We found the meals in the a la carte restaurants no better than OK - definitely not up to the levels we've experienced in other RIU Palace hotels.

The front desk, while friendly enough, gave no information regarding a la carte restaurant reservations or anything else for that matter - so if it's your first time at a RIU, it's a little tough. The staff was otherwise typical RIU friendly and helpful, the resort clean and well kept - although the pools were not as clean as at other RIU hotels.

Yes, we have learned to tip at RIU's - mainly because the staff really does such a great job and you know they are most likely not compensated that well. Typically we'd tip $5 at dinner, around $2 at breakfast and a couple of dollars to the pool waiters (we skipped lunch). The maid we tipped at the end ($4-$5/day) - the twice daily room service is standard at RIU. Most importantly, if you need something, a quick phone call will get you most anything.

Someone mentioned watered-down drinks in their review - not so from our perspective - and I may be old now, but I've done my share of alcohol consumption and I found the drinks to actually be quite strong - especially at the pool.

Not to be snotty, but as a couple in our late 50's, the crowd at this RIU was not what we've previously experienced at the Palace hotels. There were lots of mid-20's to mid-40's rowdy drinking tatooed types - if you choose the pool on the wrong side of the hotel, it can get quite loud - just not our idea of why we take these vacations.

Location is superb - probably best view out to the rocks of any resort - nothing really wrong with this Palace - just not quite the quality of other RIU Palace hotels.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple