“Crazy beautiful and extraordinary service. What you might like to know...”

Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 3 September 2012

All the great reviews you've read about this place are 100% true and spot on. If you are in the market for this kind of luxury vacation then you can not go wrong with this resort. I've also stayed at the Palmilla and comparatively they are neck and neck with the same outstanding services. Here's what I found different about Esperanza and why I loved or didn't like (really only 1 complaint) about the stay. LOVED....Expansive open green area with family friendly pools, and i think more family friendly if you have small children because of more running around space. Also, 3 family pools to choose from that you'll love (adult pool also located elsewhere on property) LOVED the little coffee shop cafe opening early for quick coffee and snacks. So perfect if you have older kids and they want to be on their own in the morning. Outstanding rooms (we stayed in residences with 3 bedrooms) with lots of privacy. Fabulous concierge service which can hook you up with any activities (tried and true) in Cabo proper. HINT: Find a jet ski/actiivity company that will pick you up at the hotel. A cab ride into town is about $20 each way. FOOD EXCELLENT BUT....and here's my only complaint....the menu is too limited at the restaurant around the infinity pool. We ate lunch and most dinners at this restaurant because the view was so spectacular. It would have been great to have a more varied menu. OH, and don't miss the fireworks night and the cook-out with fireworks. You'll love it!

Room Tip: There residences are all great rooms and the 3 bedroom residences have two enormous master suites. P...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank yellowsunfish61
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to send us your great feedback regarding your recent stay at Esperanza, an Auberge Resort! I am delighted that you enjoyed our family friendly pools, coffee shop cafe, outstanding rooms as well as excellent food!

I appreciate your comments regarding our menu variety. I have shared this with our Food & Beverage team who are currently reviewing our lunch and dinner dishes for improvement.

On behalf of the entire Esperanza Team, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again very soon!

Warm Regards,
Marc Rodriguez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We just returned from an amazing 5 day Babymoon (I am 27 weeks pregnant) at Esperanza and had such a wonderful time. The resort is gorgeous and was the perfect place to escape and relax. We had an amazing time and would definitely return again. Some highlights/things to note:

Highlights:
- The rooms are amazing and spacious. Having the personal hot tub/jacuzzi was super nice and I could keep the temp below 90 degrees so it was ok for the baby
- We slept super well - the beds are amazing
- The amenities in the room from the free water, soft drinks, daily fruit, etc are fantastic. The hotel was kind enough to have lactose free milk in the fridge for me based on the form we filled out before hand.
- The pool and proximity to the ocean are amazing- the adult pool is gorgeous and literally is next to the ocean - awesome views
- Service quality is TOP notch. We celebrated our anniversary and received chocolate covered strawberries and an amazing welcome package of a cake/snacks for my birthday. Really generous and amazing touches.
- Breakfast is AMAZING - we totally loved the daily breakfast and were really impressed with the menu and quality of food. We had long meals every morning and they staff was so lovely.
- We did a cooking class with Chef Cesar Pita that was super fun and tasty and he is awesome chef and person.
- The free daily workout classes (yoga, trx, etc.) are great and a nice way to start the day

Things to know:
- While we found breakfast to be awesome, our other meals were OK. Our best non breakfast meal was during our cooking class and some Mexican apps that Chef Pita created for us for our anniversary dinner.
- The spa is very nice, but they did not seem to have a ton of experience with maternity massages (the notion that being on your back for long isnt safe for baby and that it is ideal to be on your side for long periods of time and they did not have a special maternity massage table but rather this pillow thing that was uncomfortable). The spa manager was super kind and called me after to check on my experience and I think if they get a special table for other pregnant moms it will be absolutely fine. My therapist was super nice and accomodating overall. My husband liked his massage but said he has had better therapists for sure at other hotels/in the US.
- August is a very hot month in Cabo - while we love the sun, there were many times we had to escape into our well A/C'ed room and some of our meals outside were a bit uncomfortable. This wasnt a huge issue for us but if you are someone that doesnt like heat/humidity, definitely avoid August and go more between Nov-March.

Overall, we loved the experience, service quality is excellent and super responsive and we would highly recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: If you are expecting, ask for a room on the ground floor near the adult pool to avoid stairs and wal...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank srb93
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thank you for sharing such great feedback from your recent stay at Esperanza! I am delighted that your "Babymoon and Anniversary Luxury Getaway" was everything you dreamed of.
It is also wonderful to hear that you found our rooms to be amazing and spacious, our jacuzzi spa to be super nice and our in-room amenities such as complementary water, soft drinks and daily fruit to be fantastic!

I have shared your great comments with Chef Pita regarding his cooking class! i agree that our anniversary amenities and breakfast foods are amazing. I also appreciate your feedback regarding our non breakfast meals as well as your maternity massage. I have spoken with our Team to see how we can improve these areas.

I know that August is one of our more humid months and best spent in the shade at the pool or in doors at the Spa!

We look forward to having you both back for another unforgettable stay at Esperanza! We wish you all the best with your upcoming baby.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 30 August 2012

My bf and I spent five days at Esperanza for our anniversary and I have to say, the resort was spectacular. The scenery, the backdrop and the service exceeded my expectations. The casitas was also amazing and extremely comfortable. All the amenities including robe, comfy slippers, binoculars, free wifi throughout the resort, complimentary water bottles and soda stocked in the refrigerator, single coffee maker was a really nice touch. I also liked the dual shower heads, dual vanity and large tub that came with sea salt for soothing bath. The pool area was the highlight of our trip as it has breath taking background. We spent all day by the pool and it was completely relaxing and rejuvenating. The only downside was the prices for all other services, such as restaurants, spa and drinks. Had I known the pricing ahead of time, I would not have dined in the restaurants. If you are not price conscious, then you'll be fine. My recommendation is to check prices before you dine and be prepares to spend minimum of $200 per couple on dinners (the resort also tags automatic 15% tip), Spa - massage for 50 min cost $160. Luckily, we rented a car and had the option of driving to local restaurants which was great especially since we like seafood. As noted by other reviewers, cab service is expensive ($20 each way to downtown - only 10 min drive). Overall, Esperanza is top notch resort and made our anniversary memorable with complimentary champaign and strawberry covered chocolate. Any issues we had, they resolved immediately. We ended our final night with private dinner at the beach which was AMAZING! Esperanza made our vacation one we will never forget!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay here at Esperanza, an Auberge Resort. I am delighted that we were able to pamper and spoil you on such a special anniversary celebration! It is great to hear that our scenery, backdrop and service exceeded your expectations. I agree that our luxurious amenities such as comfy robes and slippers, complimentary water and large in room spa are a definite plus and thank you for sharing your comments!

I also appreciate your feedback regarding pricing. Our award winning Spa and varied Food & Beverage outlets are in line with other quality resorts within Mexico. We source only the best suppliers and ingredients to provide top quality services for our guests.

We look forward to having you both back for another unforgettable stay at Esperanza! I am thrilled that you found our romantic dinner on the beach to be amazing. We hope you will be back to celebrate very soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 28 August 2012

If I could tell you how much I needed these few days at Esperanza.... I just opened a restaurant and have worked every single day for the last 4 months without a day off. A trip to Mexico is just what I needed. I chose Esperanza and what a great choice. From the moment I arrived and met my personal concierge, I knew this was going to be good! Our room was beautiful looking out over the gorgeous Sea of Cortez and the adult pool where you could find me every day.

Yes, the pool was unforgettable. I so enjoyed the 5 minute complimentary foot massage at the pool daily as well as the extraordinary service. And just when the sun began to heat up, along came Carlos, the perfect pool attendant , doling out complimentary coconut popsicles, my favorite. The pool temperature was perfect, the lounge chairs so comfortable.... They've thought of everything. The sun getting to you? Grab some of the SPF 30 or 50 suntan lotion. Parched? They'll bring you a margarita, ague fresca or ice water. Sun getting to you? Up goes the umbrella. All the while the waves crashing on the beach made for one of the most relaxing experiences in my life.

Now on to the spa. I am a spa and massage nymphomaniac. Being a chef, my work is pretty strenuous and exhausting and since I travel all over the world for my work, I have visited many spas and had massages in every corner of the world from India, Thailand, Australia, Provence, Argentina and my home in California. Bar none, I had the best massage I have ever had in my life at Esperanza. Here I sit trying to decide if I want to tell you my massage therapist's name for fear that next time she will be so busy I won't be able to get her. OK her name is Connie and she is gifted. I also heard from another chef friend of mine that Elio (or something like that) is also amazing. Anyway I had two 90 minute massages with her and honestly, she is extraordinary.

And then there's the food! The breakfasts are the best! Homemade jellies and jams that are more like a fresh fruit puree, fresh fruit juices like papaya, mango, cantaloupe are a great way to start the day. My restaurant is Mexican and I love Mexican food so each day I opted for the Mexican breakfast specialties,- The Huevos Rancheros featured the crispiest tortilla, topped with creamy beans, the freshest eggs and a light tomato sauce. You can also get much lighter faire like fruit, yogurt and housemade granola. Another great way to start the day is with the Green Machine smoothie.

There are three restaurants on the property. I loved La Palapa. You have to try the ceviche, scallop aquachiles and the the lightest crispy sopes. The last night I had the shrimp fajitas with salsas and the creamiest beans. Delicious! There's something about the fresh, delicious Sea of Cortez shrimp, I couldn't get enough.

When the sun begins to set, make sure you have a margarita at El Bar. After head over to the more upscale Cocina del Mar for a wonderful romantic candlelight dinner. The tortilla soup with poached lobster, scallop, shrimp and littleneck clams
crispy corn tortilla, guajillo chili, cilantro & avocado was my favorite followed by the risotto lime zest, yuzu, sweet peas & cherry tomato confit. The wine list ihas a good selection of Mexican wines. I particularly liked the Tramonte Tempranillo/Cabernet Sauvignon! I was thrilled to see Mexico making such fine wines.

I can't say enough about my time at Esperanza. The staff, the food, the pool the rooms... I spent a few days at Esperanza and they were beyond my wildest dreams.

Room Tip: All the rooms are extraordinary!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Wow! I am thrilled to receive such wonderful comments. Thank you for taking the time to describe with such detail your relaxing stay here at Esperanza! It it very motivating for our Team to read such great feedback regarding our rooms, pool and spa.

Thank you once again and we will be delighted to see you in the not too distant future!

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My Husband and I booked a Couples Clay Bake and Massage for our 30th Anniv.Trip. The grounds of the hotel are phenomenal, can't speak about the rooms. It started out on the wrong foot, as we arrived 45 minutes early for our appt., as advised we could enjoy the steam caves and soaking pools before our treatments if we arrived early. The Spa front desk young man gave us some paperwork to read and then quickly started explaining the next steps before I even had a minute to read the brochure he wanted me to sign. I had to ask him to please give me a chance to catch up. We were led to the separate mens/womens areas and Lupita showed me around the facilty quickly pointing out the separate areas, it was much too fast for me to figure out the protocal. I changed into my robe and first went to the steam area, could never figure out how to turn on the steam, pushed a few buttons on the outside, nothing happened, so went inside and sat for about 10 minutes and finally she came in and said she needed to turn on the steam for me (located on the wall inside the steam room) Sat there for 10 minutes or so and she came and got me to go for our treatment--missed all the other ammenities in this area-oh well. We were take together to to the private couples area, which was a lovely secluded area with a small soaking pool, the new attendants explained the clay bake procedure. It became rather comical, as the clay can't dry when it's over 90 degrees and you are sweating profusely! We had fresh fruit and relaxed for a bit before they came to let us know it was time for the massage experience. We each had a 4" square cloth to shower off the clay, which was again comical, as it was not feasible to accomplish. After a few minutes they asked if we were ready for the massage and we were far from finished with our showers and asked them to please give us a few more moments. AND NOW We can say WOW--both of our massages were FABULOUS. I am so sorry I did not catch their names, but we both felt it was by far the best massage we have ever received and I have one at least once a month. It was the first time I have had a lasting feeling of tension relief in years. Excellente' to the massage ladies! The relaxation in the common area afterwards was also very nice, as was the awesome 'outdoor' shower area in the private women's section and the ammenities available in the dressing area. We would both have a massage here again, but forego the other treatments.
Dinner afterwards at the cliffside restaurant was a beautiful setting, wonderful service, but the food was not up to par with any Houston high end restaurant we visit--rather disappointing. We did get to enjoy the fireworks display from the Mexican Night other restaurant on the grounds, so that was a bonus.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CC_HOUSTON
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Than you for your comments on Trip Advisor! We are delighted that you found your spa treatment to be the best you’ve ever had.
I am disappointed that our team was a little overly enthusiastic to begin your experience and was not as attentive as they should have been.
It is something we will definitely learn from and have already addressed with our entire team. We are delighted that you enjoyed your meal and dramatic setting. With regards to your Spa experience, I am aware that Jose Ramon, our Spa Manager has been in contact with you to make good this situation and trust you will join us again soon in order to allow us to make amends appropriately.

Once again thank you for sharing your great comments. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Yours Sincerely,