All reviews homes ana ranch tours diego fireplace
Reviewed 22 November 2015

When we visited in May, they seemed surprised to see American guest. There were several of us on a 4X4 driving trip and the hotel was accommodating enough to allow those in our party who wanted to camp on their property for a small fee. Those of us who preferred to enjoy the hotel's accommodations were not disappointed. The rooms where heated with wood burning stoves that worked quite well. Bed was big and comfortable and the bath worked while not quite American standard was ok. The charm of the courtyard and the dinning /meeting place made for at a hospitable and friendly atmosphere. Best to call ahead or make reservations. The kitchen / restaurant only serves what they have on hand And though they offer free wifi - it's almost impossible to access.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it and test the bathroom and accomodations. I find this is true for all motels/hotels in Mexico.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Citlali Lisa M
Reviewed 23 February 2015

Wish I had spent two nights here instead of in El Fuerte. Diego was a great host, the lodge itself was great, and the tours were wonderful. Definitely will come back and spend more time so that i can visit Urique and other spots.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank gavinlohr
Reviewed 20 August 2014

First off, if you're a strict itinerary, rigid, tied to your iPhone traveler, this resort is not for you.

If you're an adventure lover, then this is a great find! My father, friends and I stumbled upon this Lodge while touring the Copper Canyon on our dual-sport motorcycles. Tired and weary from the day's difficult riding, the Paraiso del Oso was a sight for sore eyes. As soon as we pulled up the proprietor, "Diego" Doug came out of the Lodge to greet us. He was very friendly and ready to take care of us. After letting us pull the motorcycles into the courtyard (an awesome gesture) and fixing our packs, a cold Tecate (Red) was waiting for us, along with a complimentary Margarita. After a cold beer, Diego Doug took us into the local town giving us a tour of the girls school he proudly supports with his time and hard-earned money. Since we were there to experience the true Mexico, this was very enjoyable. Diego Doug also gave us an in-depth history lesson on the Tarahumaran people, indigenous to the area. After getting back to the resort, we talked and drank by the fireplace until dinner was ready (made by Diego Doug's lovely wife and grandkids). Dinner was great, and we again settled by the fire talking to Doug and his son about Mexico and our collective adventures.

When it came time to turn in, our rooms had the bare essentials. A bed, bathroom, and wood stove to keep the room warm. No TV, radio, or telephone. Just what we wanted. After a good night's sleep, we woke up to breakfast and a sack-lunch for our next day of riding.

Apart from the booze, everything (room, dinner, breakfast, and sack lunch) was included in the very reasonable price (less than you would pay for a crummy Motel 6 in the states). If I'm ever in the area again, I will definitely pay Diego Doug and his family another visit.

Room Tip: They're all good.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ffm1484
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I had an extremely pleasant stay here. The host and son were very attentive and took us all around to see the sights. The accommodations are a bit primitive by US standards, but it was extremely clean. We wanted for nothing. Wonderful place. We enjoyed getting to know the local Indians and the community and festivities.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

PROS:
The service - from beginning to end was impeccable - I was travelling on a budget and the family really tried to accomodate my needs regardless - nothing was too much trouble
Beautifully decorated lodge
I stayed in the 'hostel' which was a steal at MS$150 a night. Especially since I had it to myself .
Big comfortable beds with quality linens, matresses and pillows
Spotlessly clean - everywhere!
Big airy bathroom with plenty of hot water and good shower pressure
Tasty food
Glorious surroundings with plenty of hiking trails and acrivities to keep you busy - or just take a book and admire the vistas from the pretty courtyard garden!

CONS:
Don't sit on the front porch - the midges seem to cluster there!
Although I really enjoyed my horseback ride (4 and a half hours through Cerocahui and to the waterfall)- I would have like a wee bit more explanation of the area's history, flora and fauna to truly understand whath I was seeing

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo