The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas
USD 167*
USD 224*
USD 212*
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa(Avon)(Great Value!)
USD 282*
Priceline
  • Pool
USD 214*
TripAdvisor
All reviewswestin riverfrontvilla guestsbeaver creekwalking path along the riverself parkingservice expressfull kitchengrocery storemexican restaurantfitness centerheavenly bedfamily vacationpool deckseparate buildingwasher and dryerstar resortbeautiful property
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in early February and had a studio villa which is basically a hotel room with a 1/2 kitchen so you can cook some food if you want to. Our expectations for this place were very high given the cost and the previous reviews. However we had quite a few issues while we were there, and I probably could have lived with most of them had it not been for the fact this is supposed to be the best ski resort hotel in the US.

The washer broke on it's first use and needed to be replaced. We had dirty dishes in the cupboard that needed to be washed. Every night at between around 6 to 8 our villa would fill with everyone else's cooking smells. There was a lot of noise from people allowing their kids to run up and down the corridors. and despite all the hype, the bed wasn't especially comfortable.

Set against all that the hotel is very clean and modern, and is in a great location. It has people working there that all seem to be having fun and want to to have fun too. I'm sure we could go there again and not experience any of the problems I've listed again.

We did have to spend time being given a presentation by the SPG Timeshare or Shared ownership people who are on the property. I seem to have found an easy strategy that turns them off very quickly but it still meant we had to spend just over an our there to get what I was promised.

Overall I would definitely stay here again but purely because of it's location - nothing else.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Great salt water hot tubs and pool overlooking the River.. what a great relaxing place.
I can see why this has been rated #1.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This was my second stay at the Westin - for leisure (skiing) on both occasions. This time we were there for 8 nights.

There are lots of positives:
- the room was very comfortable
- the car and ski valet staff couldn't be more helpful
- the gondola is 20 yards from the ski boot room
- the local restaurant bus stops rightt outside the hotel and the bus stop for Vail is 100 yards
- the gym is well equipped and the hot tubs/pool are great after a hard day skiing
- there is a running trail along the river right out front of the hotel

For a hotel of this standard I don't expect them to fall short on some of the details:
- Sunday breakfast in Cima restaurant was a disaster (see separate restuarant review)
- our request for a (paid) upgrade in resonse to a Westin email was overlooked
- I didn't find the front of house staff to be particularly helpful. Someone forgot to give us the standard 20 minute induction to reacquaint us with the hotel facilities, local restuarants, bus facilities etc. Make sure you ask since it is helpful.
- a package I arranged to be delivered wasn't passed on and despite a phone call the night before we left to ask for it to be tracked down my wife waited 25 minutes for it when we checked out (the package actually arrived 6 days earlier and was clearly labelled)

Overall we had a brilliant holiday but there is an inconsistency to the customer experience that would need to be addressed before we return. Next year we will be looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HighlandRacer
SMVHotelManager, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. We are extremely happy to have you describe our villas as comfortable, our staff as helpful, the fitness center/pool and hot tubs as great. The proximity of the gondola and the Avon Transportation Center (bus stop) right outside our front door is truly very convenient. We are very sorry you had such an unpleasant experience in Cima. This is not the typical experience we hear about from our guests, and we shared your feedback with the appropriate persons who manage this facility for Richard Sandoval Restaurants. The Westin Villas as a timeshare resort and part of Starwood Vacation Ownership is unable to accommodate the upgrades that the adjacent Westin Resort is able to offer. While we do rent rooms, these upgrade benefits in the timeshare world, as one would expect, are exclusive to our highest tier home resort owners. Again, not typical and we are not sure why we failed to notify you of the package we were holding on your behalf. For this mistake and the time you spent unnecessarily tracking it down we do profusely apologize. As you may or may not be aware, our concierge team works 7 days per week, available to serve you prior to arrival, at arrival or anytime throughout your stay. During the busier times we have associates stationed both in the main lobby near the check-in desk, and also just inside the main entrance of the Villa Building for concierge purposes. They are always eager to serve. We do hope you will remember the positives and reconsider us as a place to stay on your next vacation. Until then, be well.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I am writing this review after having stayed at the Westin Riverfront Villas for the first time this past January. A caveat is that I am a villa owner and the villa was booked as such. I purchased the villa to try and combat the costs of the ever increasing rates for the hotels with ski in/out access in Vail and Beaver Creek. The only problem with this set up is if you have someone who is a true beginner skier and not yet comfortable traversing down a green run and going up a chair. They would be better off taking the shuttle to the main Beaver Creek base and hooking up with the ski school there.

I booked the villa a full year in advance. This gets you as high up in the queue as possible and as a result I got a corner room on the top floor. My wife and I stayed in a 1 bedroom unit, which is a ton of space for two people. The unit has a full kitchen, sitting room with fireplace and flat panel television, a nice balcony terrace, a large bathroom with both tub and separate tiled shower, a private toilet (pocket door), nice front loading washer and dryer, and a separate bedroom with it own flat panel television.

The location of Westin Villas. It is right next to the main Westin hotel and you have access to all the amenities at their including the gym and pool area. You also store your skis with the Westin ski valet.

There is a gondola that you take from the bottom of the Westin up to the base of the lift near Bachelor Gulch. You then take this chair up to access the rest of the Beaver Creek runs. You ski back down to the base of this chair and then take the gondola right back to the Westin. It is extremely convenient and works out really well. While technically you can't ski right to the door, you never walk more than a few steps in your boots. The ski valets are great and on the weekends when it is busy have your skis waiting right next to the gondola.

The rooms are beautiful and well equipped. It is so great to have a kitchen on a ski vacation. I ate breakfast everyday in the room and occasionally skied back for lunch. Most nights we went out for dinner, but did eat in a couple of times. The television has an HDMI input, so I used my laptop to play some movies back on the tv. The room also has a DVD player. The gas fireplace was nice but did emit a bit of an odor when on so we only used it sporadically. The Bose Wave stereo was nice and a mini-jack cable was available to hook up your iPod or phone audio to. The washer and dryer were extremely handy to have and I washed my ski stuff a few times.

The location of the Westin is a very short walk to a major grocery store - again very handy. There are also quite a number of restaurants in walking distance including a Starbucks, a great sushi place, a mexican place and a bunch more. There is also a free shuttle bus to the main Beaver Creek village that runs regularly.

The Villa building is very quiet. Even though it was apparently fully booked, we only saw a few people from time to time in the elevator. The rooms were very quiet at night.

The Villas have gas barbeques on the grounds and we did not use them, but did see others making use of them, so they seemed to be in good working order. I've been to other Westin properties where this wasn't always the case (Maui Villas).

Check in and check out is handled by the desk staff at the main Westin hotel. An interesting note is that the staff at this hotel is not the typical Westin/Starwood staff, but rather is run by East West. They are not as familiar with some of the nuances of the Starwood system compared to other Starwood properties, but overall we had no difficulties.

Being Villas owners, parking is included (part of maintenance fees). My understanding is that this is $40 per day otherwise, which seems pretty high. However parking is heated and underground - a nice bonus. It was nice to have a vehicle, but not essential. Depending on your plans, may want to consider the costs ahead of time. There is lots within walking distance and also great bus service (free within the local area and fairly cheap to take a bus over to Vail).

Overall it was a great experience and I look forward to returning again next ski season.

Room Tip: Villa owners tend to get the best rooms by booking well in advance. If you are able to get a room through a Villas owner and book it well ahead of time, you are more likely to get what you want. I liked our room on the top floor facing the mountain, but some people prefer the ground floor units that have easy access to the gas barbeques.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Favorite resort for all the following reasons: Consistently exceptionally Super friendly staff, sparkling clean, amazingly convenient ski access, short walk from room to ski valet, to Gondola, to lift to great skiing on Beaver Creek Resort, soothing après ski music, delicious saltwater Olympic size pool, jacuzzi, great gym and exercise classes, options for hotel or villa rooms. Do be aware of mandatory 18% gratuity on services.

• Stayed: January 2012