See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

I thought that swimming in this less populated Cenote was fantastic. The workers are very friendly and kind. The water was so beautiful and refreshing. It is deep. I saw lots of fish although I didn't go snorkeling or diving. My friend snorkeled and said it was beautiful!!!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 April 2017

Unfortunately, my boyfriend and I had a TERRIBLE experience at Casa Cenote and I want to make sure other vacationers are well aware that this hotel is not worth the high rates they charge. Far from it. I booked our room on Airbnb through a host named Teysha and I only wish I had seen these Trip Advisor reviews before I booked. (Lesson learned). Teysha was very helpful and responded quickly leading up our stay but similar to the previous reviewer, we arrived and nobody seemed to know we were coming. There’s no official check in desk so you have to go to the restaurant. We were also the only guests at the hotel the entire time we were there which should tell you something right away. When we were finally shown to our standard room on the bottom floor, it was disgusting and didn’t appear to be cleaned and ready for us. The window screen in the bathroom had a gross layer of filth on it, a towel was stained yellow, the bathroom shelves and counters had dead bugs on them, the mirror was filthy and there was a half empty water bottle on the counter. The rug wasn’t vacuumed and there was a musty smell like the room hadn’t been aired out or tended to in awhile.

We also noticed right away that the property and hotel grounds were a mess. The pool had leaves and grime in it along with a slimy film across the water, and the pool equipment was messily lying beside the pool. It was clear it had not been cleaned or used in months. There was dog excrement everywhere along with actual trash – wrappers and tissue strewn about the lawn. The wooden lounge chairs on the beach were cracked and rotting, missing cushions and had bird poop all over them. The next morning I found a dead bird on the sand, steps from our room. Whereas the other hotels on the beach (we know because we stayed at two neighboring hotels) clean their beaches of the seagrass that accumulates every morning, Casa Cenote’s beach was full of it. The kayak equipment available for our use was poor. There was only one decent paddle and one of the caps on the holes on the back of the kayak was missing so it filled with water and sunk when we took it out one afternoon.

I wish I was making all this up, but it was really appalling how bad it was. Make sure you look at my photos attached. They paint a very different picture than the photos used for marketing.

I contacted Teysha (she is not on property) and sent her photos of the room and hotel grounds, letting her know how disappointed we were and she apologized and offered to show us a Loft room the next morning. So the next day, we had breakfast and noticed a gentleman sitting at the back of the restaurant. One of the servers informed us that “he was who we should talk to about our room.” So we approached the man and introduced ourselves and he told us he was Gary, the owner (turns out Teysha is his daughter) and we asked about seeing the new room. It should be noted that he was well aware of our confusing check-in and dissatisfaction with the room and he made no effort to come over to us at breakfast to apologize or offer to show us the new room. So he showed us the Loft room which was very nice. Spacious, bright, airy, great ocean views, huge bathroom, king bed and he offered us this room at no extra charge.

We also let him know how disappointing the state of the property was and he claimed his team “cleaned the beach for 8 hours” the day before which I had a really hard time believing. If that was actually true, I’d hate to see what it looked like before we got there! We asked him to walk around the hotel with us so we could point out what we were talking about since he didn’t seem to understand. He had a response/excuse to everything we showed up. The dog poop – wasn’t from his dogs so apparently was not his responsibility to clean up. The pool – looked fine to him and when we asked him if he would swim in it if he were a guest, he said yes. The cracked lounge chair – said he didn’t even notice it. Case in point that he never walks around his hotel to see how things are looking. The dead bird – he said that’s nature and he can’t control it.

So we decided instead of spending time on our vacation trying to find another hotel that we’d take the loft room upgrade and just try to be positive. Gary had some guys clean up the sea grass on the beach, so we thought they were at least trying to make some effort to improve our experience. (They never did actually pick up the dead bird, dog poop, trash or clean up the pool for the record).

We ended up having hot water issues in our loft room and the power went out one night, knocking out the AC, which stayed off, even when some of the power came back on. I understand those types of things can happen, but it was just the icing on the cake for us after everything else. I asked for a refund (they obliged with a partial refund which I still don't think was enough) and we moved down the street to another hotel for our final night, where we paid half the price of what we paid at Casa Cenote and the property was pristine, the room was immaculate and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

The bottom line is that the owner doesn’t really seem to take pride in his hotel operation. He does enjoy sitting in the back of the restaurant all day long watching the world go by. The feeling I got when we talked to him about our concerns is that he’s heard these complaints 1000 times before and he’s just tired of dealing with these issues. This idea that “it’s Mexico, not the USA” was made known to us by him and Teysha, but I don’t buy that. A lot of the issues at hand are very much in the owner’s control to improve but he just simply chooses not to, which really is a poor business model to employ in the hospitality industry! And the two other hotels we stayed at within blocks were SO more impressive for the same price or less.

I have a sneaky feeling this hotel won’t be in operation much longer, unless it comes under new ownership/management.

The two positives: the restaurant service staff were friendly, professional and efficient, and the ocean views were stunning. (The beach here is rocky and reefy - you can swim but just need to be careful - but it is definitely a quiet, peaceful area, away from the hustle and bustle of the main Tulum Beach.)

Thanks for reading, I know this was long, but it was a truthful account of our experience and I hope it was helpful. I would advise spending your money elsewhere for sure!

Room tip: Loft rooms are the way to go if you are actually going to stay here, but I would advise you go elsewhere.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank sunflowergal82
Reviewed 6 April 2017

The owner Gary was drunk at the bar when we arrived. Finally found someone to show us to our room (there was no office that we could find) it was nothing like the photos online. The place hardly had anyone in it, that should have been our first clue, only the room right next to us had a screaming kid in it! The pool was filthy, (the hose to clean it was just left outside the door to our room) beach was a mess, with litter, and downed palm branches. Beach chairs strewn about and only a couple had cushions on them. We upgraded to a "better newer room" the next day - Tub didn't drain, my husband cleaned it out with a fork so my daughter could shower, bathroom rugs frayed, safe didn't work, sliding glass door didn't lock properly and they had pipes wedged in the door jamb to keep people out. We asked Gary for help on the safe as the directions were only in Spanish, but drunk again, he couldn't figure it out. This was a very substandard experience at kind of an expensive price tag! We left after two nights and went further south to lovely place on the beach that was excellent! We are now fighting with them to get some of the money back. Really a nightmare to say the least.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank mpmunding
Reviewed 14 February 2017

We drove down from Cancun and were pleasantly surprised to find a scenic little villa in the middle of nowhere. The scenery was gorgeous and our room was no more than twenty feet from the ocean with coconut palms right next to our patio.

So much for the good!

The service was poor but you didn't mind too much because the food was so bad. Take plenty of cash because they won't take credit cards.

There is a dive shop associated with Casa Cenote that will provide fishing and dive trips. I organized a 4 hour fishing trip and was told that I would have to pay in full before we went out. I did so and off we went. An hour and forty five minutes later the guide kicks the gas can, shrugs his shoulders and said that we've got to go in..... out of gas! Funny, they didn't say anything about being low on gas when they took my money for four hours of fishing.

I don't think I'll go back.

3  Thank Doc5015
Reviewed 9 January 2017

The dive shop staff were top notch. Can't say enough positives about Hector and Miguel.The hotel, well, that was a different story. Was it the stained sheets? The dog excrement all around? The murky pool? Lack of safes in the rooms? Or maybe Gary the sketchy, inappropriate owner? I can see where his daughter Teysha, who manages the place, gets her customer service skills. Adios, Gary and remember there is a Friends of Bill meeting every day at 12:30 in Playa de Carmen. You might think of checking one out.

Room tip: Here's a tip. Skip this place. The owner is nuts.
Date of stay: January 2017