“Heaven!!!”

Ranked #50 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
New York, New York, United States
“Heaven!!!”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was one of the, if not THE most incredible weeks of my life. I didnt know what to expect but was beyond pleasantly surprised when I arrived. I needed to 'reset' from a crazy work schedule and tons of stress and as soon as I arrived it all melted away. I went by myself and met some of the most amazing women that I'm sure will be life long friends and was welcomed by such a warm staff. The people were all fantastic, the activities were super fun, motivating and engaging and the food was delish. I would go back in an absolute heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Esty G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Hungarian first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My friend had been reading about this amazing place for several years and she booked us in a last minute opening for their 5 night bikini bootcamp! Truly an unforgettable adventure facilitated by the beach,environment, staff, coaches(OMG...Kiya, Joel, and Darlene), trips...and Melissa! Our room was comfortable, unique and charming..with expected "camp like" charm. The exercise was challenging, inspiring, and refreshing....massages did my back a world of healing! Time spent with Sasha, spiritual healing and massage was life changing. Bonded with an amazing group of women from all over the world!
Definitely plan on returning.... Consider myself truly fortunate to have had this experience!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dalove
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at Amansala for 4 nights & found it the most relaxing part of our 3 week stay in Mexico.
We stayed in a room that led directly onto the beach (wow- amazing)
It's an eco-friendly environment - that means minimal mod cons, and that can take you by surprise if you're not prepared! There's no air conditioning - so the only way to keep cool at night was to baton down the mozzie nets & open the windows which means you get a little covered in sea salt which is a bit ikky... but you know what? You wake up to the sound of the surf & you walk straight out your front door to the most beautiful beaches! After the first day we got accustomed to the "glam-camping" vibe & it was amazing - I found it totally refreshing & relaxing to not have to bother with makeup or hair straighteners - we didnt wear shoes for 5 days!
The nightlife is very chilled - We hired bikes for $10 a day & went around the local area on them which was a great way to check out the local area/ see the sights (plus keep fit & get a good tan!) & so by nightfall we were pretty done. There are plenty of restaurants along the Boca Paila to check out that are ALL fantastic with the freshest tasty food. The people who work around there are all friendly & the general feeling is super chilled out.
All in all... dont bother coming here if you're not able to relax without having your hair perfect, you need a dazzling nightlife or expect to be waited on in the lap of luxury. However if you want to get completely away from it all, walk along beautiful uncrowded beaches, have a REALLY relaxing time & eat some delicious food - then give it a try.
We were sad to leave!

Room Tip: Ground floor room facing the beach
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I came here on a yoga retreat and although the studios were well situated, the hotel in general was run w/ 1 thing in mind, money, money, money. The kitchen and wait staff were friendly and accomodating, the hotel and desk staff were pleasant and VERY shady! Oh, and don't leave any loose change/pesos in your room b/c the cleaning staff will assume it is a tip.

The desk staff took every opportunity to get that extra dollar. Most people paid for things in US dollars, but oddly enough when it came to giving change the never had an US, just pesos if that, which they gave at an inflated exchange rate. I saw they had a US $10 and lied to me that they didn't giving me a 100 pesos, i waited for the $10 US. Most of the time they just said they had no change and they would 'owe' or credit your account, but they NEVER wrote it down. They ridiculously charge $25US for the week for wifi, and my friend gave them a $50US for which they had no change. A few minutes later when she realized she needed her laptop (which she didn't have) she asked for the $50 back and they said they no longer had it, they would give her credit, which they never wrote down. At checkout they had no itemized bill, just expected you to trust them and they would email it to you after (which I still have not recieved). When i was leaving, and sitting in the shuttle they ran out 3x wanting me to pay for a drink they said they left off my bill. I told them in the future they should provide an itemized bill so we all would have a record, and refused to pay. Oh and the shuttle they provide to Cancun, the fee changes every 5 minutes.

The rooms were beyond rustic, they were just old, except the shower which was wonderful i must admit. The rooms also had no locks and only a hook and eye latch from the inside. I was not happy about that at all.

Also, don't expect any information on what to do around Tulum, b/c there is not a brochure or knowledgeable staff person to be found. Unless you want to book the two optional tours they have, you better research this stuff before you come. If I had not done that and brought my own map we would not know what was available or where we were going.

The view from the main house was beautiful and the beach setup was satisfactory. The location in general was very good. All in all, I had fun but the hotel experience was poor and with the multiple options out there, some of which seemed MUCH more accomodating and nicer, I would put this one near the bottom of my list.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
17 Thank cbec87
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My stay for a 5 day bikini bootcamp at Amansala was everything I expected. Amazing women bonding together surrounded by sand, sun and sea, immersed in good nutrition, exercise, dance and yoga, soothed and healed with full spa services and awed by excursions to ruins and cenotes. It definitely has a camp flair with it's proximity to the beach, cabana style rooms, relaxed dress code, communal dining, scheduled activities, self-serve approach, sand, wind and humidity. If you're looking for this, Amansala is for you. In my opinion, to benefit fully from this experience, I would recommend booking for the full 5 day bootcamp to avoid disappointment regarding availability of excursions, spa treatments and planned activities. Definitely planning to return.

• Stayed March 2012