“Zamas - Thank You”
Review of Zamas

Zamas
Ranked #19 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have traveled to Tulum over the years for a total of 32 times since 1991. I remember when Zamas opened. The owners Daniel and Susan made me feel right at home-being from California I felt more relaxed and stayed at Zamas at least 6 times. I am a true beach bum and moved down the beach about a mile to another friends hotel - due to the beach being very wide once you past Maya Tulum located next to Zamas. I always visit my friends at Zamas and enjoy the Restaurant very much-great food. I would like to thank Daniel and Susan for their help on my last trip-I really needed it. While in Mexico my business check card and a credit card were hacked. My business check card is my main banking account-it was emptied leaving me no money while in Mexico. Business check cards are not insured by your bank-that was news to me-thousands of dollars simply vanished. All my credit cards shut down. I became very sick in addition to my 12 day stay at a different hotel from something I ate at one of the places on the beach or town. I missed my flight home and my welcome ran out at my other friends hotel-leaving me no place to stay another night or the finances to get to the airport or even eat. I walked into Zamas and my friend the owner was there Daniel-I can say he saved me from this disaster of a trip. He took care of me and made sure I got to the airport. I am grateful for such a gift and I will never forget his kindness and understanding-a true friend in Mexico. I will return to Tulum-it's beautiful.
Although I will only bring CASH and never use a credit card or ATM card.
Zamas hotel has always been a safe place with a great staff-stay here and enjoy the food-relax because they do care about their guests and friends.
Always your friend,
Thomas A. Brown

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank tbfairfield

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Loved it here! The beach is white sand and spotless, private with free sunbeds for those staying at the hotel. The room was clean and bright with great mosquito nets (although a large flying thing did manage to get into mine somehow!) Our "beachfront" room was actually just across the road from the beach, but literally that so it didn't matter. Fabulous cocktails and great food at good prices. A few nearby restaurants looked good too. I would definitely return here!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Oh, what an awesome place! Couple of rustic bungalows and a restaurant right on the sand. It feels like you are sitting in the middle of the centerfold photo in the travel magazine.
We actually stayed in the house near by, but came out there for food and drinks a few times.
I'm a regular traveler to this area, and Zamas is never a disappointment. The food is simple, but good quality. My favorites are jalapeno rellenos and fish tacos. Although, their pizza is a thin crust and looks good too, but why eat pizza when you have fish tacos!? Local fish is Grouper, always fresh, as expected.
Unfortunately the prices have been going up everywhere, including this are too. Looks like their food and drinks are up by 5-15 pesos, compare to last year. Still, this guys are somewhat cheaper, then joint across the road (Mateo's).
Service is fast and good, but bring cash. As everywhere in this area, they don't like credit card. Although, they advertize that they take Visa and MasterCard, 3 years in the row they claim the machine is down due to satellite problems. Just bring cash. US $$ or Pesos are fine. They calculate a fair exchange rate in my experience.
Definitely a good place to spend a few hour with your "honey" or the whole family. Kids can rent boogie boards from MexiDivers shop across the road, and stay out of your hair for a while.
Don't miss this place if you are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Alexei M
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We took our first trip to Tulum right after the 2011 New Year and stayed at Zamas on the recommendation of friends who stayed there previously. My husband and I are not big resort types, and were frankly horrified at the "fortressorts" we saw during our drive, so we were predisposed to like a place in the style of Zamas.

First, our loves: Zamas has, hands down, the best food among the Tulum hotels and restaurants. Proximity to good food is worth a lot on any trip. Their cocktails are incredible too. We loved the beach and, after reading other reviews, I can't figure out what's not to like about it. The swimming is excellent (shallow, warm, sandy) and we like the fact that the beach is public access. We met a lot of nice Mexican people on vacation (especially on Sunday) and enjoyed chatting with them.

Our cabana was lovely and far nicer than we expected for the price. Our bed was great and the mosquito net effective, and we could hear no road noise as our cabana was behind the restaurant and not beside the road (which, at the time of year we went, honestly didn't have much traffic on it). Our experience was overwhelmingly positive.

Of course, we have a few minor quibbles, but most of these are due to the reality of being in a tropical area with off-the-grid utilities, not to Zamas specifically. While we did not experience road noise, we did hear loud generator noise early on a few mornings. Hey, if you want power in an off-grid location, a generator is going to have to turn on sometimes, and it will make noise. It's that or no power, right?

We also had no hot water a few times, due to a minor issue with a pipe on our roof that connected to solar heated water or something, but when we let them know it was fixed as quickly as it could have been. That's all we ask for from any hotel: if there is a problem, that it is as quickly as reasonably possible. Finally, there was loud music from the establishment next door to Zamas (which was right behind our cabana), but it ended around 11 PM, not terribly late, and when we complained we did so to them and not to Zamas. Loud music is expected, but this was REALLY loud. LIke I said, minor quibbles that really didn't affect our overwhelmingly amazing experience.

We loved everything about the Tulum area, felt safe the entire time, and had no issues driving all around the area, to and from Coba, etc. I was born and raised in Detroit and can assure you that the roads in the Tulum area are in far better condition than some of those near my father's home. We were so relaxed that we left in what I can only describe in "mushy noodle condition." We cannot WAIT to get back here, hopefully around the same time in January 2012.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anysteph
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Rooms are a way too small and poor for the price.
Beach front is far less beautiful than Zamas website pictures show

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple