“Total Relaxation”

Ranked #40 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Traverse City, Michigan USA
“Total Relaxation”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I was exhausted and needed a great place to rest and recharge. I wanted a beautiful beach and pool with warm water. I wanted good, healthy food. I wanted a clean, quiet room. I got more than I expected. The beach is so very beautiful, as are the entire grounds of the hotel. The food was an incredible variety of fresh and healthy choices. I can't say enough about the cleanliness. The staff works very hard. Allmost everyone is very nice and cheerful. There is much attention to detail. There are many fun activities that I didn't even expect. I was very, very impressed. The only things that could be improved was the room smelled musty for a couple of days until I aired it out, and the bed was a little hard with a dated spread. I would love to return.

Room Tip: Rooms that face west might be hot in the afternoon. Saturday was noisy by the pool with quite a few...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank passerby1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,039)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Brighton
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had our 35th Anniversary at this wonderful resort in March. We are 55 years old and have travelled quite a bit and have had good and bad experiences. I am always scared to book an all inclusive resorts because my husband travels all the time for his job. He hates to travel and expects everything to be excellent for us when we go together. Also when he goes on vacation he wants 5 star service and food but he hates to make reservations for dinner and wear long pants to eat when your in a tropical environment. In a perfect world maybe it can go as he desires. I was so surprised after reading some of the reviews - Riu Palace Riviera Maya is fantastic. The staff was great especially Vanessa at front desk, Marvin at pool bar and the bartender inside resort. The food was unbelievable. We dined mostly at the buffet, moderate dress code, we could go whenever we wanted, so many choices hard to stay on a diet. The desserts were very pretty not the same as USA but who cares plenty of choices and wonderful fruit every day. The only resort I have been to with Champagne and OJ to make you rown Mimosa's every day if you want. We did try the steak house( great steak, interesting seafood platter) by the beach( husband loved it) and the rodezio grill. I cannot find a reason anyone can complain about any of the food. My husband eats out all the time and is very picky about temperature and quality of food- Not one complaint and we never felt sick just too full becasue it was all yummy. We have stayed at many resots in Cancun and a few in Mayan Riviera, this is our favorite. This is our 4th Riu resort and we will always go to a Riu because we are never disappointed with quality of food or drinks. The beach and pool the best!. You can walk to 5th Ave. very easy, although some reviews mentioned 15 minutes its about 30 minutes but a fun walk many things to look at and we always felt safe. We loved the beach, this resort has plenty of sun and shade if you want, Palm tress everywhere for guests that need a place out of the direct sun. The best white sand we have walked in and you can walk miles in either direction- fantastic. The pool is huge and yes some towels were on chairs usually all in front row by pool but many other choices to sit. The room was great and bed was very comfortable for us- some complain about firm it was perfect. One thing AC could be cooler but it was fine. We used Lomas Travel for our Private transfers- Love them, ran like clock work no problems. I surprised my husband with cold beers on the way down- Lomas did it all. I would recommend this place to and we are going back in a couple of months. My husband never wants to return to a resort so fast- I tried to get him to pick another where we have not stayed but this is the right place for us. Yea for Riu Placace Riviera Maya and Yea for me- I get to go again. Thanks to a great experience, great beach and great resort. Love the people!

Room Tip: We did garden view, we like quiet. The courtyard views were very nice but always busy in courtyard...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank love2travelThornton
Macomb, IL
Reviewed 19 April 2012

It has been a year since I was at this hotel and I can't believe I forgot to review it! It was amazing. I wish I could go back right now. The beaches and the pools are hard to beat. The service was fantastic. I have also been to the Iberostar Tucan just up the road from this one. Both resorts are fabulous. This resort is a lot more compact than the Tucan and is probably about as close to "accessible" as a resort in the Mayan Riviera can be. The pool and restaurants and entertainment areas are all near each other, which is great because of less walking, but there was also something fun about the Tucan's many areas to explore. The food was decent. The buffet was excellent and the restaurants were average. Luckily we were too drunk to make it to the Brazillian restaurant, which my friends did not enjoy. All of the other restaurants are worth going to, but the buffet is probably the best part. Overall, the resort was very clean. The rooms had a bit of a musty smell, but that's really just part of the climate. The employees seem genuinely happy to work there and for a couple of tips, your drink will never be empty.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amber01
Kidwelly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed at Riu Palace in February 2012 and stayed for 2 weeks.
The hotel in general is lovely and impressive. the staff as a whole were welcoming and friendly and eager to serve. The food is excellent in all the restaurants. The beach is great as is the pool. The free wifi in reception was very useful.
The downside was the rooms, although huge beds, great balcony, good maid service etc.....the room's were damp and our clothes etc smelt because of this. We asked for slomething to be done several times but the most that could be done it seemed, was a squirt of air freshener in the A/C unit. Our family had 3 rooms and all were the same. one of our party was a 'normal' family..ie 2 adults and 2 children (9 & 12)......there were 2 queen size doubles to a room (which was great for my partner and I, beds pushed together), however for a family of 4 there was nowhere near enough bed space. It took a lot of our holiday time requesting a solution. eventually the sofa was taken out and 2 temporary beds put in for the children (the sofa was moved outside onto the balcony...luckily not much rain).
As an advertised family hotel, the room problem above was one thing, however, the 'stag' parties at the weekends from America and Canada were not for families at all. Drunken adult nudity, constant whooping and screaming for no reason, foul language and general drunkenness were difficult to avoid around the hotel pool, which is where we were, as the children preferred it, because the sea was a little rough for them a few times.
It's a great hotel tarnished by these few niggles.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ian J
Ontario
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My partner and I (both in our late 20's) stayed at this property from April 5-12, 2012. Here are our thoughts:

Check in/out: No issues whatsoever. Quick, efficient, no complaints.

Food: We were somewhat disappointed with the food at this resort because when we're in Mexico, we want to eat MEXICAN food as much as possible (salsas, hot sauces, guoc, quesadillas, nachos, enchilladas, fahitas, beans, etc), and found that while there was some Mexican food at each meal, it was the same day in and day out. However, with that said, the beach buffet (open for lunch) and regular buffet (open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) caters to many tastes. At the beach buffet, you can find soft serve ice cream, a variety of desserts, grilled meat medallians (fish, chicken, beef), salads (macaroni, etc), vegetables, pizza, burgers, fries, etc. They also have various alcoholic (Dos Equis regular and dark beer, wine, champagne, etc) and non alcohoic drinks (juice, coffee, machine cappuccino, pop, etc). At the buffet for breakfast, they always had a great selection of fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries, papaya, pineapple, mango, banana), cereals, oatmeal, rice pudding, coffee/tea/cappuccino, eggs, sausage, bacon, omlettes, french toast, pancakes, you name it! They also had mimosas daily! At the lunch and dinner buffets, the items we always found included a vegetable salad bar, grilled steak/chicken/fish, grilled vegetables, soup, bread, ice cream and dessert bar, and fruit. However, the buffet changed slightly day to day depending on the theme, which generally meant one or two additions to the above. As an example, on Mexican night (Wednesday) they had some different things such as jumbo grilled shrimp with garlic butter, crab legs, and made to order fahitas! We were happy!

We dined at 4 a la carte restaurants (reservations 6:30pm or 8:45pm): Agave (Mexican' ate there twice), Chiles (Steakhouse), Krystal (fusion), and Yashima (Japanese). We enjoyed Agave best, followed by Yashima, closely followed by Krystal, and lastly, Chilis.
The Mexican restaurant had a lot of variety at the self serve salad bar (very different than the buffet and included many of the Mexican items on our wish list outlined above) and many good dishes to choose from individually following (main, dessert).
Yashima was great and served up a maki boat to start followed by an appetizer, main, and dessert of each person's choice.
Krystal was also very good but likely not for everyone (some different dishes ie: the appetizer was tapas consisting of smoked salmon, a parmesan ball, and chilled tomato soup). They also had some different individual starters and mains.
We were disappointed with Chilis. We felt the servers were very rushed and it impacted the energy of the environment. As well, we thought the steak wasn't even comparable to the quality we purchase for ourselves at home....but that's just us!
What I liked about all of the a la carte restaurants was the selection of wine. I'm a red wine drinker and enjoyed the merlot served at the a la cartes (they serve merlot, cab sauv, a mexican wine, and a pinot noir). They also open the bottle at the table, leave it with you, and top you up as need be, which I thought was nice.

Beach: The beach is stunningly beautiful. Think crystal clear baby blue water and white sand. There are no rocks, the water is fairly calm and the temperature isn't too cold! Beach loungers were always available and staff continued to provide drink service as long as you're within the hotel's grounds. We really enjoyed sailing on the days they allowed us out (they felt it was too windy/rough on more than one occasion).

Pool:The pool is large and a pleasing temperature (refreshing, but not cold). There is one big main pool attached to a separate raised section of the pool. People do play the towel game on the loungers around the pool, however, we did not, and always found a space. The pool bar serves up a variety of drinks and are fairly quick to serve you, however, some people park in the bar area all day and it got kind of boozy smelling in this area, which wasn't appealing! As well, staff come around the pool occasionally and take/deliver drink orders.

Property: The staff work so hard to keep the property looking immaculate! The floors, pool area, room, dining areas, bars, lobby, etc, were always very clean. Similarly, the plants, flowers, trees, and grass are well cared for. There are fountains throughout. I'd describe the style as European/modern. A little unauthentic for us, but beautiful nonetheess.

Rooms: We had a main floor room close to the pool. Our room had a king size bed (yes, it was more firm than we're accustomed to, but OK), jaccuzzi style tub (with jets!) and detachable shower head, double sink, mini fridge (stocked with pepsi, diet pepsi, orange pop, 7 up, club soda, water, and dos equis beer), good sized closet, loveseat, medium sized tv, dresser, etc. On tap over the mini fridge was tequila (jose cuervo), brandy, rum (bacardi white), and vodka (smirnoff). Staff topped them up when low. Our room was 2 levels with the bed/bath on one level which stepped down to a living area that included the coffee table, loveseat, tv, dresser, and balcony. There's also a safe, which we used without any issues.

Drinks: They have more selection than most all inclusive resorts and serve "top shelf" liquors (baileys, frangellico, chivas regal, flavoured vodkas, jim beam, etc). The lobby bar served many martinis, cocktails, wines, and spirits, in addition to Mexican coffee, Spanish coffee, cappuccino, etc. We really liked the Dos Equis Cerveza Oscura (dark) which was available at most places that served alcohol (swim up bar, lobby, chilis, etc). The one issue I had was that I found the wine I received from the inside part of the lobby and in the a la cartes was consistently good and I felt I got what I ordered. However, upon ordering the merlot at the outside portion of the lobby or at the buffet, it tasted different. I think they're stored at room temp in the latter locations and tended to taste a little ripe for my liking. I was also disappointed with the frozen drinks as I found them too sweet (margaritta, daquiri, pina colada, etc).

Pros: excellent service, very clean, great beach, variety and quality of food, seamless check in/out and booking reservations, proximity to Playa Del Carmen (15 minute walk), size of resort, top shelf liquors, great weather.

Cons: non-authentic (we would have preferred more Mexican in terms of food/style of the restaurant), music/entertainment was too loud for our liking.

Overall a great vacation, but I'm not sure we'd stay there again for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
18.6 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
0.3 km away
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#87 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!