Brilliant location: located in the heart of the town, on 8th street, just half a block from the beach and half a block from 5th Avenue (= the most bustling street of Playa del Carmen). The harbour where you take the ferry to Cozumel is a 10-minute walk from the hotel.
Playa del Carmen is full of good restaurants, bars, cafes and shops. After many trips, I recommend staying in the town centre on a B&B or accommodation-only basis and avoiding Playacar. Playacar is a luxurious area next to PDCarmen (20-30 min walk) where you have no choice but to choose from all-inclusive hotels; if you stay in Playacar you will miss the good atmosphere of the town.
We booked a standard room with balcony (=sometimes called “deluxe with balcony”, other times “mirage with balcony”) and it was quite large with a king bed, conventional tv, free wifi, refrigerator, safe box and a basic en-suite bathroom. Clean. Very comfortable. No noise.
I have stayed at Illusion Hotel many times and I would recommend booking always an exterior standard room WITH balcony. The ones without balcony face the hotel corridors, are dark and have no privacy unless you close the curtains -making the room darker-. On the other hand, executive rooms (called “prestige”, “luxury”, “cabana” or “master”) look like they could belong to an upscale hotel; however, they are usually much more expensive than the standard ones and I know better value-for-money options on this upscale side.
As for the standard rooms with balcony, those ending in 10-13 are the ones with the best layout, whichever the floor. And those ending in 09 and 14-16 are pretty good, except from room 109 that runs adjacent to a noisy restaurant kitchen (avoid this room by all means!).
Small rooftop pool and nice area.
Free beach towels and passes to several private beach clubs.
Complimentary computer access (slow at times) in the lobby area.
Massage services available.
Complimentary bottled water in the room and a tank of purified water on each floor to refill at any time.
Water, coffee and tea station for free in the lobby area.
No proper shower facilities after check-out but if you ask you will be given complimentary access to a free room for a shower.
The attention at front desk is professional and very friendly at any time; the property of the hotel has recently changed and the current staff goes the extra mile.
Free and secure luggage store.
If you are looking for the best restaurants in PDCarmen, these are: Byblos (french), Cenacolo (italian) and The Glass Bar (also called Di Vino; italian-international cuisine).
Perfect location and best value-for-money among mid-range hotels in the town centre. While working in Mexico, I usually go once a month to PDCarmen and this hotel is where I stay at most times because its reasonable prices (when I do not want to treat myself to a luxury hotel). Ideal for someone who looks for a place to sleep and expects to spend most of the time on the beach and walking around the town in the evening. I will certainly stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels is a small hotel with great personalized service and attention to details. A perfect blend of elegance and tropical freshness with a fusion of Asian/Italian decor and architectural style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia APAC, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Illusion Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Illusion Boutique Hotel By Xperience Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Illusion Boutique
- Illusion Boutique Playa Del Carmen
- Illusion Boutique Hotel By Xperience Hotels Playa Del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico