All reviews swing bar boutique hotel small fridge each morning air conditioner beach chairs ave bartender margaritas mosquitoes walmart juan pesos cozumel
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at the Luna Blue for the second time and overall it is a great experience.

We stayed in Room 6, spacious with a kitchen. Our bathroom sink was clogged, but before we could even complain they had replaced the drain without asking. We stayed in Room 2 before which has a little more Mexican flair to it, otherwise the benefit of 6 is you get a kitchen. Great for storing your beer and cutting up fruit. Who cooks in Mexico, not us!!! Head to Mega to pick up your supplies on day 1, saves you time running to the Oxxo in your underwear to pick up beer.

Alex at the front desk is very helpful. Please remember to tip these guys as they make an effort to help you out. It is appreciated. The bar was only open one night and Jorge the bartendar seemed down, hopefully everything is okay with him. Maybe he is not getting enough g-strings. The resident cats are also friendly and add to a homey feel, but no need to tip them as they live a better life than us.

If you visit Tulum, make sure you go in the morning and do the ruins first (take a collectivo, so easy and quick/cheap ) . After that , exit out of the other side of the ruins and walk the road for about 5 minutes and head into Sante Fe beach. It is a wide open quiet beach with makeshift beer stands and gucamole. It blows any beach in town out of the water (no pun intended). Mamittas is nice, but the food and drink is really expensive for what you get. For better food go to Wicky's beach club.

If you want some light snorkeling , head to Akumul (again use a collectivo) and swim with the sea turtles. This time of year they are everywhere. There is also a decent restaurant there. Snorkel equipment with flippers is about $12 per adult. You don't need to hire a tour, DIY and jump in the water. Again, if you are looking for snorkeling-lite. After 2 hours of treading water, how much snorkeling can you do anyway.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank TorontoTourGuy
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A friend & I just stayed at Luna Blue for about a week. It was my 4th visit to 'Playa' and 1st Stay at LB. The hotel was absolutely fantastic---we wanted a small place that was 'laid back' and not noisy. Not a single complaint whatsoever!!! Wonderful rooms and the hotel staff were great!
Alex and Jaime work at the front desk; Jamie was so sweet, and Alex was very friendly and helpful!
Jorge the bartender was darling. Hotel guests get a free margarita, and even the 'margies' that are gratis are fantastico! One night Jorge also made me a special drink per my request (a tequila martini, sort of like a margarita 'up' and it was perfect!)
Owners Tony and Cheri were totally amiable! Housekeepers were nice and did a great job!
One thing that I LOVE is that each room room has a big bottle of fresh drinking water! I like to drink a lot of water, and that was such a wonderful surprise/bonus!!!
You are provided with the requisite little shampoo/conditioner/lotions. I brought my own so didn't use, but what I did use and love were the little soaps! They smell like chocolate!!! You may first be washing up and see black specks on you and you might wonder, what the heck? but they are just part of the soap and dissolve...And speaking of washing, the showers were great! I don't like to overdo using up water, but there was no lack of hot water, it takes a minute to come on then once it's on, it doesn't run out!
The ceilings fans are great---there is also AC, but I didn't need/use it!
We stayed in the tropical hideaway rooms, the rooms had little outdoor patios which were nice! There was someone staying in the room above me all or part of the time (I could see them coming/going) but I never heard them once!
The hotel setting is wonderful, nice little pool, lush, tropical foliage. (Check out the cool mural of Cheri above the pool!)
If you want a massage they have a therapist on staff which is great! (Their person is female, and I always prefer a male, so Alex gave me a recommendation of a nearby spa, and I had a massage there and it was fabulous!)
BTW Playa is one of the fastest growing vacation spots! I was last there about a year and a half ago, and was amazed at the growth in just that period of time! But it's NOT Cancun thank God, and is still the greatest place to visit!
Will definitely come back to stay at Luna Blue!

Room Tip: My friend was in room #24 and I had #35. Both rooms were great, but we both agreed my room just seemed to have a somewhat better feel, feng shui to it...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Volaregirl
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We spent two weeks at the Luna Blue over spring break. Had a great time. Helpful staff, lots of great restaurants nearby and cool entertainment at the little pub at the hotel.
We had friends staying at one of the BIG (4 1/2 star) all inclusive resorts up the road. We paid the $77. USD per person and visited them for the day. Pillars, marble floors, buffet food, watery drinks, crowded pools and beach. If you want to let the kids run wild while you shake your booty at the disco then this is for you.
We left early and headed back to the Luna. It was like coming home. Give me some cool blues guitar and a great margarita anyday! I'd go back and stay again anyday. Cheers!

Room Tip: All good. Fridge in the room was really nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bob P
Reviewed 19 April 2012

A perfect week in Playa del Carmen. It was Easter and as such the town was full of tourists from all over Mexico. The Mexicans were extremely friendly and made our vacation. Staying at The Luna Blue was quite chilled and relaxing. The room was all we needed and good value for the price. It had a comfortable bed, a safe, a refrigerator, wi-fi outside on the balcony and a good shower with hot water. We loved the soap which was provided ( The chocolate soap was my favorite) The staff, especially Alex was wonderful and the cleaning staff did an amazing job everyday. We partied a bit and came back late, there was always a night person and a locked door. Mamitas Beach Club to which we were given free passes to from The Luna Blue was excellent especially because of the BPM Festival which had free shows right there on the beach.

Room Tip: Best rooms were 3 and 4 above the kitchen ...our room 22 was also very private with a nice balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Keenan M
Reviewed 10 April 2012

second stay at luna blue.
this place is VERY WELL located - in the nicest part of the 5th avenue walkway
the place is clean & staff friendly.
no TV's - which is like a vacation in and of itself.
very nice little bar - Jorge is a great bartender.

a little spartan, but if you want to be staying at a big resort, you wouldn't be reviewing this place.
will be back!

Room Tip: we had room 5 - right out over 26th street - not noisey, & a great view of the street action
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple