All reviewsswing barboutique hotelsmall fridgeeach morningair conditionerbeach chairsavevacationbartendermargaritasmosquitoeswalmartjuanpesoscozumel
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Stayed at Luna four days with wife, 26 year old daughter and her ex-college sorority sister. We all were impressed with Luna's owners, staff and boutique hotel amenities. Location is perfect for partying, restaurants, beach scene and shopping. The two girls and I hiked about the area for three of the four days. Go over to the beach, turn right about 3/4 mile to Senor Frog and return by Fifth Avenue and you will walk past at least 60 restaurants and bars of every description as well as equally numerous tourist stands, silver shops and high end luxury goods. Favorite restaurant was "Capricci Latino" 80 yards away. Close second choice restaurant "Tierra Madre" 450 yards away. Daily specials and happy hour deals abound. Another hike.. again to beach..turn left.. perhaps one mile, you will leave tourist zone. Being adventurous, we headed inland on swampy, dirt path into the "less fortunate" neighborhood of Playa. At no time, during 10 plus miles by foot through Playa del Carmen did we feel threatened in any way. Wish I could say the same about my home town.

May I offer a few tips to first timers? Cancun airport full of official looking greeters who delay you with time share, hotel/transportation deals or other inducements. Walk swiftly past them with a smile and a "No, gracias" until you get outside where more legitimate transportation awaits. Next tip..always confirm taxi prices before getting in cab, always. Lastly, if you decide to enter any of the street vendors shops on delightful Fifth Avenue, a useful phrase is "Sola estoy mirando, gracias". Translated as " I'm only looking, thanks." Hope you enjoy the Luna Blue and the fun, safe town of Playa as much as I did.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Guillermo J
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I read many reviews of small hotels in Playa del Carmen and decided upon the Luna Blue for several reasons. I was impressed by the numerous return guests, the value , and was also pleased that the property owners were hands on individuals and former US residents in case we had any language difficulties.

The residents of this community could have not been any friendlier and we could not have felt any safer if we had been in our own home town. We were greeted with smiles and "hola" at every turn.

We stayed in room six during our stay and enjoyed the spaciousness of both a full size and a twin bed, a large kitchen with a dining area and the most amazing private balcony looking into trees and lush vegetation. Each morning I enjoyed hearing the garden come alive with the numerous birds that live in the tree tops and watching the resident cats at their food bowls. Such a peaceful way to start the day.

I don't want to over glamorize this hotel just because I fell in love with it. The room furnishings and fixtures are not perfect and show a little wear. That being the only negative in my opinion. The positives are a tremendous location one block from La Quinta (5th Avuene) with too many restaurants to count, a warm and helpful staff who were quite fluent in English, and a lush tropical garden setting.

The irony of this review is that I penned my draft while at a glamorous all inclusive resort in Playacar, about a 25 minute walk from Playa del Carmen. We decided to spend only three nights at the Luna Blue and then moved to an all inclusive for five nights. I can assure you it will not be a repeated mistake. After experiencing "real Mexico" at the Luna Blue and the vibe of the village of Playa del Carmen, we will head straight to the Luna Blue when we come back to this area and will become one of the many return guests you read about.

Also, be sure and check out By the Way Spa across the street for a fabulous hour long massage for $30 and great nail services.

6  Thank Bilcalden
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We did a couple different things while we were in Mexico and Luna Blue was hands down the best place we stayed. The staff was really friendly and helpful. They helped arrange everything we needed and they spoke English which was nice. I highly recommend taking advantage of the beach clubs they provide passes for. The Grand Coral I believe its called was amazing. it is a little bit of a drive from the hotel, but it was secluded and beautiful, plus they call a taxi to take you back. The hotel is right off the main strip so it was easy to find food and stuff to do. If you don't want to go anywhere to get to the beach or eat stay at a big resort, but if you are looking to venture out on your own and experience Playa this hotel is perfect.

Room Tip: the rooms at the top with the big balconies were really cool and had an amazing view. Only problem is when it rained ours leaked a little.
4  Thank bc6611
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed at Luna Blue over New Year's. Very nice property very conveniently located, steps from anything and everything you need while in Playa. The courtyard/pool area is a little slice of heaven on earth, so peaceful and relaxing. The staff was friendly and we were always greeted with a smile. Definitely wouldn't hesitate to book this property again.

2  Thank Juliebenmark
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Like many others, my first Playa Del Carmen vacation left quite an impression. I guess I became a bit obsessed really. I started reading online travel websites and forums constantly. That eventually led to rampant use of acronyms and even the occasional emoticon :-). My wife and I have returned at least twice a year ever since.

By coincidence, this was about the same time that Luna Blue’s owners, Tony and Cheri, started their expat hotel ownership adventure. Following them online made me a fan even if I wasn’t a customer yet. As a father with young kids, Luna Blue wasn’t an option and the all-inclusive setup suited our style the best at that time. That never prevented us from exploring downtown and I had been by Luna Blue a couple of times in the past.

When I finally had a chance to go to Playa by myself last October (2011), Luna Blue was the obvious choice. My original plan was to try two or three of the smaller, forum-famous, boutique hotels throughout the week. Like all of my travel plans, that changed. I ended up having a buddy of mine tag along at the last minute, and we decided to split the time between Luna Blue and one of the adults-only AIs.

The hotel looks interesting and friendly when you walk by on the street. The big wooden gate and thatch roof swing bar were a welcome sight when we arrived. Cheri actually handled checking us in while Tony gave us some good tips and restaurant suggestions. It was nice to meet them in person after reading their posts and blog for the last few years. That personal touch is surely part of what has made them successful, and it went a long way with me too. I booked the Treetop Terrace room with the large balcony. The pics online are good but don’t do it justice. That room alone is enough to make sure I come back again. I love that terrace! The buildings wrap around the garden and the view of the new pool below made me smile the entire time. I accidently slept most of my first night in the hammock out there. It was such a nice evening--- the cerveza was going down easy--- and next thing I knew, I woke up at 4:30am still swinging in the breeze.

The room was spotless, bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was nice. I always wondered what showering was like with one of those black cistern things on the roof :-) I felt so authentic. This place has style and owners that care. I wish I was a wordsmith and could make it sound better than that. My buddy had the room below and said it was fine but wished he had booked the other Treetop Terrace room.

After many trips to AI resorts in the area, I am very glad I stayed at Luna Blue. I plan to return with my wife later this year. She will be able to put this whole Luna Blue vibe into words better than I can. I can say it was a much more personal experience than staying at an AI. I’m an overly analytical person and my mind has too many things going on to put it all into a review. If you want to ask me any questions, feel free to send me a message. I’m happy to share my opinion.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends