“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #51 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Toronto
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My lady and I travelled to Riu Playacar March 18-April 1. We have travelled extensively in the past 5 years to many 4 and 5 star resorts. We rate the Riu Playacar as our best overall experience. This is not a 6 star resort, however everything combined to make it a stay we will not forget. Check-in was fast and easy. We asked for a third floor room with a king size bed and received this. Front desk was courteous and smiling and made us feel at ease upon arrival.

We unpacked at about 2:30 PM. We went to explore the resort first. Riu Playacar is a small resort, therefore everything is close by. Beach was a 2 minute walk from our room, as were the 2 pools. Buffet was about a 1 minute walk.

We first ate at the lunch buffet near the beach. We were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. Each day we would head to the beach buffet. We would have either salads, burgers, fries, pizza, soup, crackers and beans, pasta, steak, chicken. There was plenty of variety. In fact in the 2 weeks we were there, I don't think that we had the same meal twice.

We then headed for the beach. We were very surprised that there were many chairs to choose from, unlike many of the resorts that we have been to, where you would have to reserve a chair by 8 AM. Also the water is very warm. We were in the Ocean probably 3 times each day. For the most part there were not many huge waves, which my partner likes. You can just comfortably swim around and not be knocked down. We preferred this to the western part of Mexico, (Los Cabos) where for the most part the beaches you cannot swim in, because of the waves and undertow.

Then we went to the 2 pools. Again many chairs to choose from. No sardine situation here. I would like to point out that for the next 2 weeks this situation did not change. At any time of the day you could get a seat easily at either the beach or the pools.

We spent some of our time at the pool bar. I could never understand how people on Trip Advisor could remember names and print them on here, but now I understand why people do this. Enrique and Juan at the pool bar were fantastic. We honestly felt that these 2 bartenders gave us the best service that we have ever had at any resort. Many times I would order a drink and then just sort of close my eyes while getting a sun tan. Before I finished my drink I would turn around a find another drink waiting for me. Great service guys. My lady and I never waited more than a minute for a drink.

Also Froilan and Ramos at the lobby bar. Same great service from these 2 guys. We never had to wait for a drink and these two fellows would have your drink ready for you before you even asked for it.

The animation team were also excellent. Carla and Oscar, thank you for a great time. The exercises in the pool were great, the horseshoes and air rifle were also fun.

We met many nice people on our vacation. Frank, the principal from Wisconsin, what a great guy. I hope you recovered OK from your last night Frank. lol. The 2 big guys from Minnesota, Bo and Jason. Great guys.

Francesca and Mary from Ontario. Deanna and Dennis from Edmonton. Wonderful couple. Shane from Vancouver. Frank and his wife from Windsor and the other couple from Wisconsin. Also Kevin and Greg from Wisconsin and Minnesota. The brother in laws. Great guys. Also the mother and daughter from Australia. Nice people.

We stayed at this resort for 2 weeks. I can honestly say that I never got sick of the food. There was so much variety. My lady and I would typically eat our breakfast and dinners outside at the buffet, which made the meals even better, with the typical Cancun breezes.

We ate at the steak house 3 times. The steak, although not as thick as you might like it, is never the less very good. We ate at the Mexican restaurant 3 times. Try the red snapper. Very good. We weren't totally crazy about the Asian restaurant, although it was OK.

We visited the Riu Tequilla and the Riu Yucatan. Both my lady and I agreed that the Riu Playacar was a much better choice for us. Around the pool at both of these other resorts you almost felt like a sardine, jammed next to another person on a beach chair.

The only improvement that I can think of for this resort is that their internet did not always work properly.

As I said at the beginning of my review, we loved this resort. Beach beautiful, great service, wonderful food. This is the first resort that we have been to that we have said we will definitely return to.

Room Tip: ask for third floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank davey133

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Park Falls
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Playcar, second year in a row. This is a beautiful resort, very friendly staff and a lot of fun, fabulous beach, not overly crowded, great food and drinks. The only downside is their beds and pillows. Very hard and uncomfortable. We loved this place but will be looking elsewhere next year.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank jkwVacation
Moline, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Visited 3/30-4/3, had a great time. Veronica at the front desk was very accomodating. The others were too but she went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. Thank you!

FYI: bring your own change for tips, get foam mattress at arrival, make sure you have enough room towels, check AC before unpacking, check times for buffets (early/late =out of luck), bldg 3 2nd floor quiet/private, verify room clock is correct, fresh beach towels run out 1/2 hr before pools close, paid $7 cab fare for 5th Ave but after 1/2 hr vendors sold same items so unless you club hop just visit the shopping area across from resort, very clean, tv's small and only few English speaking channels, poolside shade chairs fill up early, entertainment at 9:45 worthwhile but come early for good seats, free internet in lobby, plan/research excursions before you arrive to ensure best location/price, more of an adult resort w/very few children, lifeguards @tower but not watching swimmers, was told the cheapest/least busiest time before rain season to go is in August and to book directly with RIU, no elevators so if stairs an issue get on 1st floor, didnt see any monkeys/peacocks @ resort like our friends did at their resort, wonderful staff speaks English, perfect resort for easy beach access, Starbucks across the street, would recommend providing snacks by the pool.

Overall a great place to stay and we will definately be back and recommend to our friends. It's a nice resort with great staff but could use some updating. If you are expecting anything fancy and new you will be disappointed. If you are expecting a great location by the beach with a great staff for a great price then this is where you want to be. Felt very safe the entire visit.

Room Tip: Building 3 was in the middle between the lobby and pool/beach area. Not too far but away from the no...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Andrea R
Brooklyn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I planned a trip here with two of my girlfriends for May in 2011. We got a great deal including air fare and were ecstatic to get away from NYC.

We were flown in directly flight and were picked up by a professional driver and a clean shuttle bus.

The Riu Playacar is what it is. There's a beach front that gets pretty crowded and a smallish pool that has it's own competition to getting a seat next to it but it's comfortable and beautiful. The resort does allow families, so there are screaming kids and that wasn't ideal, but once I was in the pool bar I couldn't really complain! The drinks are insanely sugary, and ice cubes are non existent it seems, but that's probably for the better as "don't drink the water" is the mantra we all keep in our head. I took to drinking white russians, a VERY bad idea if you want to sit in the sun for 8 hours at a time.
the food is typical and at first the buffet seems like the most exciting thing in the world, until you realize it's really just like being at a food court and the quality isn't amazing but there is edible good food, just be ready to feel bloated. The restaurants were okay, and honestly you can practically get anything they sold at there at the buffet.
We went to one of the underground river parks nearby, and it was all organized by the resort, our fare and travel was included in a package deal. It was great and really convenient. We loved taking that trip out of the resort. The only other time we left was to explore Playacar. It was a touristy area and was a lot of fun to pick up souvenirs and walk/explore.
I think it was good for the money and you can't really expect a luxe luxe experience for what we spent. What we got for what we spent though, well worth it and tons of fun. I fondly remember that trip and hope to take another one soon, though will probably go to a place sans kids. The reason for changing doesn't have to do with the resort specifically, it's just I would want to check out as many as possible and new experiences are always fun!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kim T
saskatoon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed at the RIU Playacar January 28 th to Febuary 4th 2012. You have access to all the the RIU Hotels except the palace. The Playacar and the Yucatan are on the beach. The Tequila and Lupita are way off. There are two Palace Hotels on the beach but very pricey. Of all the RIU's we think the Yucatan would be the best to stay at, It has a jungle atmosphere and is larger than the Playacar, and it's on the beach. All the Riu's except the Palaces have about the same type of rooms You may be offered a vacation at one of the RIu's but they won't tell you which one until 2-3 week's before you leave. If you end up at the Lupita you get to the beach by shuttle, a long way. Food is very good at all the hotel's ,would not book any excursion's with Sunwing, We booked a trip and they came looking for a different name then charged us 25% for not showing up, we were there the whole time.Big rip off ,Don`t deal with them you will be disapointed. Very hard to deal with , would be safer to deal with any other of the many tour groups at the hotel every day. Over all a good vacation eccept for Sunwing's care less attitude.

Room Tip: all bed`s are hard and pillow`s smell , bring your own, good luck
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#26 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,332 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Playacar? Share your experiences!