Paradisus La Perla is a great resort a couple of kilometers away from the center of Playa del Carmen. The hotel has good facilities, including about 10 restaurants and direct access to the beach.
The construction problems that were reported in the first comments here on tripadvisor have definitively been solved.
I was travelling alone and my room was in the Royal Service building. The room was very spacious, with a large 2-person shower, a large bath-tub and a big Jacuzzi on the terrace. The terrace itself was very big, with 2 armchairs and 2 deckchairs for sun-bathing. The room was very quiet. Only once there was a problem with a neighbor, which was dealt with immediately by the butler.
I tried most of the restaurants in the resort, except for the Japanese and for the 2 ones that required elegant clothes, because I had no elegant clothes with me. (Thank you Travelplan for not advising about that despite my explicit question on this matter before starting my holiday.)
Food was great in all restaurants that I tried, in particular in the "Lapalapa" restaurant which is, in my opinion, the nearest to the European taste.
Service in restaurants
The service is good in all restaurants. There are plenty of waiters going around, although this gives sometimes a sense of "anarchy". Sometimes 2 waiters in a row would come to take my order, or the food would arrive twice. Again I must say that although the service is generally good in all restaurants, "Lapalapa" deserves a special mention. Felipe at breakfast and lunch and Karla in the evening are excellent people that take absolute care of the customer and make him/her feel completely at ease.
The selection of wines is very good. Try the "Caba" white sparkling wine before dinner as appetizer! It's really worth it.
This thing that you needed to reserve a place in restaurants was, to be honest, quite a nuisance for me. Especially when you saw that restaurants were half empty. But what can we do? As I said service was quite good, so maybe the reservation has the purpose of keeping the number of customers within certain levels at all times to ensure the best service.
Butlers and reception
But the best thing about the resort is the butlers and reception staff. THEY ARE JUST GREAT. All of them. I can mention Elenit and Karen because they were the ones that I dealt with the most. But all the butlers and the people at the reception were always available for all sorts of suggestion and help and would inquire continuously about how happy I was with everything.
I think that the most critical point of this resort is that they are targeting two completely different types of customers: the ones that look for peace and rest and the ones that look for parties. I stayed for 14 nights and in this period I have noticed that the pool by the "Lapalapa" restaurant is normally quiet, but people shouting, playing with rugby ball in the water or in general showing loud behaviour are also accepted. Some rooms have direct access to swimming pools. In one of them I’ve seen people turning the music very loud while partying with drinks in the swimming pool right outside the room. The hotel tolerated this, and sent its staff to clean the pool and the grass nearby afterwards. This is in my opinion a very bad message that the hotel gives to the other guests. The message is that you can do whatever you want in your room and the hotel staff will even come and clean.
I understand that it is not easy to turn down guests or to tell them that something is not allowed. But you need to make choices. Personally I was very disturbed from seeing people use the common areas as if they were their property or from having to change pool because the people were loud. I think a good compromise would be to define which areas are for partying (for instance the beach) and which ones are for relax, but then this decision should be “enforced”.
I think that Paradisus La Perla, which only opened in November 2011, will find a way to reconcile these two guest types.
All in all a great place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla is a hotel catering to the discerning all-inclusive traveler. With 58 swim-up suites, opulent furnishings, and international cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs, this adults-only hotel is a crowd pleaser. Rooms feature special touches like deep soaker tubs and rainfall showers. Marble floors, flat-screen TVs, Minibar, in-room safe, free Wi-Fi, coffee maker, bathrobes and slippers, cable TV service and a DVD/CD player compliment the trendy interior design. Stay active with water sports like aqua aerobics, yoga, zumba and volleyball, or visit the spacious fitness facility. The Spa offers a wet and dry sauna($). Try a different menu every night with 14 restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Melia Hotels APAC, lastminute.com.au, Wotif.com, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Riviera Maya, Mexico