“Fantastic”

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Ranked #21 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Paradisus La Perla is a great resort a couple of kilometers away from the center of Playa del Carmen. The hotel has good facilities, including about 10 restaurants and direct access to the beach.
The construction problems that were reported in the first comments here on tripadvisor have definitively been solved.
I was travelling alone and my room was in the Royal Service building. The room was very spacious, with a large 2-person shower, a large bath-tub and a big Jacuzzi on the terrace. The terrace itself was very big, with 2 armchairs and 2 deckchairs for sun-bathing. The room was very quiet. Only once there was a problem with a neighbor, which was dealt with immediately by the butler.

I tried most of the restaurants in the resort, except for the Japanese and for the 2 ones that required elegant clothes, because I had no elegant clothes with me. (Thank you Travelplan for not advising about that despite my explicit question on this matter before starting my holiday.)
Food was great in all restaurants that I tried, in particular in the "Lapalapa" restaurant which is, in my opinion, the nearest to the European taste.

Service in restaurants
The service is good in all restaurants. There are plenty of waiters going around, although this gives sometimes a sense of "anarchy". Sometimes 2 waiters in a row would come to take my order, or the food would arrive twice. Again I must say that although the service is generally good in all restaurants, "Lapalapa" deserves a special mention. Felipe at breakfast and lunch and Karla in the evening are excellent people that take absolute care of the customer and make him/her feel completely at ease.

Wines
The selection of wines is very good. Try the "Caba" white sparkling wine before dinner as appetizer! It's really worth it.

Reservations
This thing that you needed to reserve a place in restaurants was, to be honest, quite a nuisance for me. Especially when you saw that restaurants were half empty. But what can we do? As I said service was quite good, so maybe the reservation has the purpose of keeping the number of customers within certain levels at all times to ensure the best service.

Butlers and reception
But the best thing about the resort is the butlers and reception staff. THEY ARE JUST GREAT. All of them. I can mention Elenit and Karen because they were the ones that I dealt with the most. But all the butlers and the people at the reception were always available for all sorts of suggestion and help and would inquire continuously about how happy I was with everything.

Critical points
I think that the most critical point of this resort is that they are targeting two completely different types of customers: the ones that look for peace and rest and the ones that look for parties. I stayed for 14 nights and in this period I have noticed that the pool by the "Lapalapa" restaurant is normally quiet, but people shouting, playing with rugby ball in the water or in general showing loud behaviour are also accepted. Some rooms have direct access to swimming pools. In one of them I’ve seen people turning the music very loud while partying with drinks in the swimming pool right outside the room. The hotel tolerated this, and sent its staff to clean the pool and the grass nearby afterwards. This is in my opinion a very bad message that the hotel gives to the other guests. The message is that you can do whatever you want in your room and the hotel staff will even come and clean.

I understand that it is not easy to turn down guests or to tell them that something is not allowed. But you need to make choices. Personally I was very disturbed from seeing people use the common areas as if they were their property or from having to change pool because the people were loud. I think a good compromise would be to define which areas are for partying (for instance the beach) and which ones are for relax, but then this decision should be “enforced”.

I think that Paradisus La Perla, which only opened in November 2011, will find a way to reconcile these two guest types.
All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Dave1976_12
There are newer reviews for Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla

Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed in the LaPerle from Feb. 2-8 and had an absolutely wonderful trip! We were with a group of 45 and that was, by far, the best part. It's so much fun to go with others, unless you are honeymooning. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and everything is very clean. We stayed on the top floor, 3rd floor, (NOT ROYAL SERVICE) and felt it was the best floor to stay unless you feel that you really need the swim-up rooms which are more expensive. You can see the ocean from there and see the entire pool and garden area. It was a little hard to find your way around at first, as it is a huge resort. The food was very good and we enjoyed the variety with so many different types of food. The breakfast buffet was always good. All the staff was very friendly and tried their best to make our stay as fun as possible. We took the ferry to Cozemul one day (just take a cab to the dock -about 10 minutes-$10 ride). The ferry is $12.50 each way. Just get a one way ticket over and then you can buy your ticket back when you get ready to come back so you can come back whenever you want. We also chartered a sail boat and snorkeled from Cancun to the Isle of Mujeres and took a day trip to Chichen Itza, the Mayan Ruins. Although the weather was cloudy and a little rainy at times, it was warm and the ocean water was nice too. The pool water was cold, but the swim-up bar and bartender made up for it. I would definitely recommend this hotel as there is something for everyone. The LaPerle side is adult only, but there is also a family side of the hotel as well. The landscaping will be beautiful as it is still in the works, this being a new hotel opening last November. We felt very safe at the hotel and in PlayadelCarman shopping as well. We had a minor maintance issue which was taken care of within 30 minutes, even with a follow-up call to make sure it got taken care of. We would stay in a Melia Paradisus property again. This one was one of the best!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bec57
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The one thing I cannot stand about reviews or "reviewers" is that the opinions given are very strong, as if they are right and others are wrong. I just read a review or shall i say "some reviews" who feel as if other travelers complaints are not valid because they personally experienced a different vacation experience. Well guess what? everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and because someone personally did not experience a bad trip doesn't make someone else a liar or complainer. Just had to throw that out there for all readers reading this. You are likely to enjoy Paradisus very much. It is beautiful, and the service can be great depending on where you eat, or stay. I stayed here in February for a week. We had a good time, but there were some bumps, and service issues that the hotel has to get in order..

I also have noticed that most of the GREAT reviews have come from ones who either were "upgraded" (free) to Royal service or paid for the upgrade to royal service. I think it is a very BAD practice to make other travelers who did NOT pay for royal service feel as if their vacation could have been better if they were upgraded or paid for royal service. Paying almost $5,000.00 for a trip is not cheap whether your in royal service or not. I have to say I am disappointed that this hotel treats royal service guest better than the ones who paid the same price to stay at this resort (or nearly as much). I noticed this during our stay, that there is a difference how you are treated if your in royal service.. It's a secluded, private section as well, so those of you who's opinions were "i don't know what other guest were complaining about" maybe you needed to LEAVE the royal service area first!

This is just an "opinion" that I, as a traveler wanted to share on Paradisus. Overall, to each their own. have a good time!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better ocean views. If you get a lower room, request the pool view, it is better...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank love2travel01_12
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary, and since we never took a honeymoon we figured now was the best time to vacation. I must say we were not disappointed!!! This was the most amazing resort we have ever been too!!! The food was amazing, the drinks were awesome, and the service was fantastic. We opted for the Royal Service and was glad we did. From the reception we received to the simple greeting letter found in our room, we could not have asked for a better vacation.

Getting into town was easy. The resort would arrange all your transportation needs into town, with the exception of the return ride. My husband and I decided to go to Tulum for a day, so the concierge in the front arranged the private transportation for us with a taxi driver that he highly recommended and trusted, and one that gave us a great rate!!! We never had a single worry during our entire stay.

The restaurants had amazing food. By far, we truly enjoyed Hadar and the breakfast it provided. Gabi was an awesome spot to kick back with a few drinks and relax. The Royal Service pool was warm and cozy. The cabanas and beds were amazing! There is nothing like taking a nap on the beach to the sounds of the ocean hitting the shore. The room itself was by far the nicest one I have ever seen. The showers were amazing, but the bed was so comfortable that I wanted to spend half of my vacation sleeping in it. The only criticism for the resort was the smell. It did not smell bad at all, but at times the scent of lavender in the lobby was too strong. But that is definitely not a deal breaker! Reading some of the other comments about the scenery or the noise, we are not sure which hotel those individuals stayed at. We experienced nothing like that and truly felt like Kings and Queens. We never get to travel so this trip was not taken for granted! We were so sad to see our vacation come to an end yesterday but excited about getting home and planning another trip hopefully this summer. If you want to sit back and relax, La Perla Royal Service is the way to go.

Room Tip: It is a little more but pay the extra for Royal Service with the ocean and pool view! It's the b...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J S
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We traveled to the Paradisus for a seven day vacation in February 2012 and it was WONDERFUL. The food was excellent - better than any all-inclusives we have done previously. The staff was wonderful and went out of their way for us at every turn. Karla (reservations desk) was a god send and made everything easy and stress free! The room was out of this world - everything in the resort is gorgeous. The only downside was the beach itself was small and covered in seaweed but we are not really big sand people anyway, so it didn't put a damper on anything for us. We would DEFINITELY go back to this resort. There was no need at all for royal service - our room and service was stellar. It was fantastic. Heaven. The decor is perfect down to even the smallest detail - clean, well kept, beautiful. There is nothing we could possibly complain about.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
3.8 km away
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
2.8 km away
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
0.1 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
6.5 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
36.5 km away
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!