“Awesome Experience!!!!!”

Ranked #30 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
salt lake city
“Awesome Experience!!!!!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The Gran Porto Real was everything our family ever wished for. Everything exceeded my expectations!!! I would give the service 150% and the hotel was clean, gorgeous, and peaceful. It was no too modernized. I could still feel a strong presence of the Mexican culture. The activity staff was exceptional! I enjoyed doing all the activities and getting to know the staff. I did not encounter one rude waiter, bartender, or staff member. The pool was warm and the beach captivating. Though there are sandbags directly on the beach directly outside the hotel, I would say the sandbags sease in 50 feet or so. I felt welcomed and I wish I could have stayed longer. It was really nice because you could walk one block and arrive at 5th Avenue, a huge shopping bazaar. There were tons of restaurants there as well. In other words the location was pretty perfect. I enjoyed the trip so much because of the wonderful service. I had so much fun and I can't wait to return. Great for all ages! Daily activites: beach and water volleyball, water aerobics, yoga, bracelet making, spanish classes, cooking demonstrations, ping pong tournaments, nighly entertainment, pool basketball, and soooooo much more.

2 Thank joan r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,710)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kalamazoo
Reviewed 14 April 2012

As a travel agent I have been lucky to experience many different resorts. This was our second year at Gran Porto Real, and we went back for many reasons, but especially the staff. Everyone does an excellent job of offering plenty of things to do while there, but Chicken, Ivan, Rodrigo and the rest of the Entertainment/Sports staff go above and beyond at keeping everyone of all ages entertained! At the spa Karina makes sure you are comfortable and taken care of. And our favorite lifeguard Alex always had a smile for us (need any ice Alex? ;-)
We are definitely going back!
Sue from Michigan

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Lets just say that if you accept their hard sell at check in to get the upgrade, make certain you get in writing what you are entitled to. When you ask for your amenities, they don't want to give them to you and you have to fight for it. The desk clerk pretty much incinuated that I was a liar when I said I didn't receive my spa sampler card. Can you imagine?..they call their guests liars! I hadn't used the card, I was wearing their stupid upgrade bracelet and yet they didn't want to issue me a card until I made a big deal about it with the Front Office Manager that looked at me with disgust! They later waived my services at the Spa which I certainly appreciated after having to deal with incompetency when it came to having our room ready a couple days later after my son slept on a crappy rollaway only to find out they were going to try and put us in another king....so wait another day...then send us to a dirty room...then call us and ask why we haven't vacated yet?! really? I feel like everyone there wants to lie to Americans because we somehow have made them angry. Why? We are the best tippers over any tourists. That is why you need to get everything in writing. Our airport driver confirmed my same service complaints as being common at that hotel. Nice facility, clean, nice amenities, poor sandbagged beach and all the cabanas are right next to each other and tight close to the buildings...hardly anyone wanted to use theirs, including us. The upgrade price of $700 was NOT worth it, so don't fall for it. The food wasn't that great either. The noise was really bad....we never got a good night sleep because of all the noise that echoes in the hallways there too. Nice location, just too bad about the service and the noise.

Room Tip: Don't book there
1 Thank Judy A
New Westminster
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Our two weeks at this hotel was fantastic. Special thanks to waiters Rigoberto and Diego and chef Edi at the Mexican restaurant for their personalized service!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Barry S
New Glasgow, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The hotel is beauiful, we had a Junior Suite which was perfect,,,,if you are a beach person you will be totally disappointed the sand bags are piled along the beach and you have to climb over them to get in the water,,,,at the end of the trip we became pool people. We meet so may good people which are now good friends ,,, the waitress(Mari ) & waiters( Jesus & Jose) they are absolutely the best, at the end you don't even order they just bring it to you. The rooms are spotless the fridges stocked daily with what ever you want,
The food is OK,, didn't go hungry !!!!
There is not much for nightly entermainted

Room Tip: We were on the street side Rm 101 it was perfect, Quiet and very clean
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple